Ye Macce Threade

10.10 has killed Spotlight and Mail search for me, which is annoying.

Sometimes booting into safe mode and then restarting will restart spotlight indexing without crashes, and then mail search will start to work too (when complete in a few hours).  It seems to be more reliable than going into system preferences > spotlight > privacy and adding the Macintosh HD to the list, closing preferences, and then removing the HD from the privacy list.

I have a problem with my 2013 Mac Mini.   :(

Turned it on for 2 seconds last night and accidentally shocked it.  Today when I turn it on the cursor moves, but...

1.  Can't click on anything

2.  Dock which I have hidden on the right won't pop out.

I can right-click with the mouse and that works - but I can't deliberately (left) click on anything to open plus the dock issue.  I tried a wired Mac keyboard and mouse - same problem.

I did go into target disk mode and can boot off my OS drive using an older iMac we have and that works.  Runs just like a normal computer.  There's 190gigs of space left on the OS drive... so at this point I'm stumped.  Zapped the PRAM as well as the SMC reboot. Don't know if I did something when I briefly shocked it last night or what.  It does power up but no mouse - either bluetooth or directly plugged in.

The main reason I am concerned is because there are other odds things happening and I am wondering if I have a CPU or GPU that is going to die an early death.  

The first thing that got me concerned was the set up process.  This is supposed to be a super fast computer but there was lag (it didn't immediately progress when clicking next)  when setting up the machine (i.e. connecting to the wireless, choosing a username/password, etc.).  Also, the graphics got screwed up and I would end up with text missing or two different screens showing up at once during this time.  

When I log in, it takes longer than I remember on my other computers and I get a progress bar.  

I have also had a lot of spinning balls of death when trying to change the sound output (with hardly any programs running). I think I have been running Chrome which doesn't seem to like Yosemite. 

I guess some of these things could be due to Yosemite since I haven't tried it on any of my other computers.  

Certainly the iMac is much quieter than my old Mac Pro from 2009. However, I cannot hear anything from my Air when I am just doing simple things like web browsing, etc.   Some people on mac forums have said that their imac is perfectly quiet most of the time and they also seem to indicated that the fans only kick on sometimes.  Perhaps I am just more sensitive to noises than they are. 

Edited by shellylh

Fuck.  Almost every time I go to switch the Sound output device, I get the spinning ball of death.  I thought it was because I was running Chrome.  However, this time I only had Safari open (I was playing a Netflix movie though).  Is this a normal thing on Yosemite or is it just my computer.  I have been getting the spinning ball of death more often with my new computer than my 3+ year old Air.  

I am thinking of returning the iMac (within the 14 day window) and just ordering a new one (or something else) later.   I listened to a couple of the slim iMacs at work and they seemed dead quiet unless I put my ear up to the fan (although I think it is a little noisier there).  I don't think there is a problem with mine but it may drive me crazy.  That and the OS problems I am experience makes me think that it is the easiest thing to do.

I am not really in a rush since I have the Air. If I take it to the Apple store and they decide it's too noisy, wouldn't they just swap it out for a refurbished one?  

Edited by shellylh

I am thinking of returning the iMac (within the 14 day window) and just ordering a new one (or something else) later.   I listened to a couple of the slim iMacs at work and they seemed dead quiet unless I put my ear up to the fan (although I think it is a little noisier there).  I don't think there is a problem with mine but it may drive me crazy.  That and the OS problems I am experience makes me think that it is the easiest thing to do.

I am not really in a rush since I have the Air. If I take it to the Apple store and they decide it's too noisy, wouldn't they just swap it out for a refurbished one?  

It could be an OS issue that a clean install might fix.

However, an SMC and PRAM reset might help the fan issue, and screen glitches.  Or not.

Also, the slower responses could be spotlight indexing for the first time (and if you got a fusion drive it needs time to learn your usage habits to speed things up).

Apple Genius is your friend, and bring everything with you just in case you decide to return it on the spot if they can't help.

I'm setting up Tim's new MBP and just ran across the new "feature" in Spotlight search in Yosemite. I've certainly searched for account numbers or various other secure data using spotlight in the past. I've turned off this "feature" but I am not a fan of where Apple is going with this. Also why the fuck are they sending stuff to MS/Bing?

http://www.cultofmac.com/300301/keep-os-x-yosemite-sending-spotlight-data-apple/

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 1

Does anyone use Apple Mail?

Do you know how to tell Apple Mail (Yosemite) not to download messages on the local machine (IMAP account)? I have done a bunch of searching and can't figure this out.

If this is not possible, are there any other suggested mail programs?

Edited by shellylh

It seems this problem started on Mavericks and not Yosemite.  There doesn't seem to be a way around it as far as I can tell.  If you want to use Apple Mail, you have to have all your messages downloaded.  

So I am looking for alternative mail programs for Tim (I just have all mail forwarded to Gmail and use the web interface but Tim doesn't want to forward his work emails).  Inky seems ok but I don't like that you have to make an account with them and give them your login/password.  

Does anyone use Apple Mail?

Do you know how to tell Apple Mail (Yosemite) not to download messages on the local machine (IMAP account)? I have done a bunch of searching and can't figure this out.

If this is not possible, are there any other suggested mail programs?

I use sparrow and am happy with it, but I'm pretty sure it downloads the mail you read.  Not sure of any email client that doesn't work that way.  If you mean it deletes read mail from the server, that's got to be a settings problem, because you can definitely use imap accounts with apple mail (and they work just fine with sparrow, too, so I can definitely recommend sparrow).

Mail used to have an option (with an IMAP account) "don't keep copies of any messages" under the account/advanced tab.  It keeps everything on the server and it would not delete anything from the server unless you trashed the file.  This option disappeared in Mavericks.  I am assuming that some other programs may have it.  I used this option for years before switching completely to gmail/web interface. 

It seems that a lot people really like Sparrow.  Unfortunately, it is no longer being updated ever since it was bought by google.   Are you using it with Yosemite or an older operating system? 

When I first received the iMac, it did look a little big. Now my 24 inch monitor at home seems too small.

I went back to the Apple store today to try out the 27" vs 21.5".  The screen on the 27" is gorgeous.  However, doing some testing at home, I just think it is going to be way too tall for me and is going to cause (further) neck pain.  The height of the 21.5" is perfect for my ergonomic setup.  I am just too damn short.  So I am going to go with the 21.5".  Why doesn't fucking Apple carry a 24" or a quad core i7?  Damn them.    I think the 21.5" is will be completely fine for me as I usually just have one program on the screen at a time (and I've been fine with a 20" for some time).  I am sad that I won't have the opportunity to upgrade the RAM to 32GB but I don't think that is going to be a big problem.  

Perhaps I go for minimalism in 2015.  Or better yet, maybe I should use the $500 I save to get an SVS sub.   :)

Edit:  Dammit, I just realized that Apple was offering a $100 gift card with Mac purchase yesterday.   :(  Maybe they will do this again on Monday?

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 1