Ye Macce Threade

That doesn't really help the neck issue.  

Also, I prefer to buy straight from Apple.  I do have to pay tax but get the education discount.  Plus, I can pick it up in store and take it back to the store if there is something wrong.  That is worth it to me. 

Edited by shellylh

Again asking for OSX help. I've recently updated to Yosemite from Mavericks. I've been playing .flac files with Audirvana, the 1.5 version, for more than one year this was the default app to open .flac files. I installed the 2.0 version for a trial yesterday. After doing this, the system changed the default program to open .flac files to Audirvana 2, but I don't want this change, then I've used the usual procedure of right clicking the .flac files to open its properties, then choosing "open with" to make the old Audirvana 1.5 the default player. This works and again it's the default player and shows in the menu when right clicking on any .flac file.

The problem is that Audirvana 2 won't show again on the right click menu to be used as an alternate player option, I can see Audacity, Vox, Decibel... all the other players but not Audirvana2. I need to get into "open with" then "others" then click to see all the apps, not just the ones that OSX recommends and specifically choose A2. Is there any way to force the system to show A2 in the list, or in the worst case that it shows up as one of the recommended programs?

Edited by Torpedo

Again asking for OSX help. I've recently updated to Yosemite from Mavericks. I've been playing .flac files with Audirvana, the 1.5 version, for more than one year this was the default app to open .flac files. I installed the 2.0 version for a trial yesterday. After doing this, the system changed the default program to open .flac files to Audirvana 2, but I don't want this change, then I've used the usual procedure of right clicking the .flac files to open its properties, then choosing "open with" to make the old Audirvana 1.5 the default player. This works and again it's the default player and shows in the menu when right clicking on any .flac file.

The problem is that Audirvana 2 won't show again on the right click menu to be used as an alternate player option, I can see Audacity, Vox, Decibel... all the other players but not Audirvana2. I need to get into "open with" then "others" then click to see all the apps, not just the ones that OSX recommends and specifically choose A2. Is there any way to force the system to show A2 in the list, or in the worst case that it shows up as one of the recommended programs?

I'm not sure why it's doing that, but there is a workaround until we can figure it out.

Go into applications, and find the Audirvana 2 app, and drag it into the dock. Then, instead of right clicking a file to open it in Audirvana (which isn't showing up) you can drag the file(s) onto the Audirvana Icon in the dock.

EDIT - also, try rebooting into recovery mode (CMD-R) and run disk utility, then try repairing the hard drive and then repairing permissions.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Thanks for the reply, Larry. The drag and drop trick into the Audirvana 2 icon didn't work, no matter the program is already started. I haven't restarted the computer into recovery mode, but I've run the disk utility to check and repaired permissions, there were quite a few needing fix, with no success. Still the Audirvana2 choice won't show in the available "recommended" programs to run the audio file :(

I went to upgrade my son's 2012 MBP retina to Yosemite, and discovered that the image retention had become so bad that after 10 minutes in the app store that it's window would still show up on a new background for almost 20 minutes - he was complaining about it for months and I didn't believe him. My late 2013 model that I bought this February doesn't do this at all.

Took it to the Apple store today, and they agreed to replace the screen under the Applecare warranty.

Thanks for the reply, Larry. The drag and drop trick into the Audirvana 2 icon didn't work, no matter the program is already started. I haven't restarted the computer into recovery mode, but I've run the disk utility to check and repaired permissions, there were quite a few needing fix, with no success. Still the Audirvana2 choice won't show in the available "recommended" programs to run the audio file :(

And I'm so sorry that I didn't see this before I went to Apple, or I would have asked them about this.

When I first received the iMac, it did look a little big. Now my 24 inch monitor at home seems too small.

this is why me buying a 30" monitor was probably a mistake. it will be difficult to go down to 27", even if it is an increase in resolution. nobody seems to take 30" seriously anymore. actually, i'd go up to 32 or 35"..

And I'm so sorry that I didn't see this before I went to Apple, or I would have asked them about this.

No worries, I'm beginning to think that something is wrong on Audirvana 2 and its Yosemite integration, I can't play any audio files which haven't been previously added to the A2 library. It has no "file" tab on top and it won't accept any dropped files in its play cue. Fortunately I'm only on demo mode, and I'm still liking better the old A1.5

It seemed to me that it was working OK. The weird part is that I have other pals from other site who are using both players apparently without problems, but I'm unsure they're not using A2 in library mode, not as a stand alone player of the "play these files" kind, in the way I like to use it.

New iMac is here!

<long version>The size seems fine.  It wouldn't hurt to have a couple of extra inches but it seems more my size.  

The fan in the new machine is much quieter than the last one I had; I haven't noticed it at all.  I can hear it if I put my head close to computer and have it really quiet in the house but it doesn't bother me in normal operating conditions.  

Tidal now works in HIFI on this machine in Chrome.  I don't know if it is because the operating system was screwed up on the last machine or if they updated Tidal, but I am very happy.  

I am no longer getting the spinning ball of death when trying to switch sound output.  

I think that particular computer had some issues and I'm glad I took it back and got a new one.  </long version>

I has a happy now. 

• Like 2

Great to hear that Shelly!

My son's Retina MBP 15" came back with a new LG Rev2 screen, and no more image retention.  In the online polls it's as good as the Samsung screen.  They also cleaned out the sticky keys on his keyboard, so we're very happy.  Glad we bought Applecare, so we still have warranty until July 2015.

I am buying my mom an 13" Air (with ugraded RAM) for Christmas and want to ship it to store.  Right now, it says it's in stock.  When I go to check out, it shows the following options. 

•  
  • Line Price

• Ship:Available to ship: In StockDelivers: Dec 15 by 2 Business Days to 

Change shipping options

Pick up:In about a week at Apple Store, Victoria Gardens Change store(Current selection: Apple Store, Victoria Gardens)
    Note: Pickup Items cannot be purchased with an Education Loan
  •  

Does anyone know what "In about a week" means?  

Usually, it gives me an estimated date (for custom orders) of arrival or it is available immediately.   I suppose this will ship from some warehouse in the US instead of being custom built in China since it claims that it is in stock and can be delivered by the 15th (which is too early because I won't be there to get it). 

Yesterday I installed Little Snitch and it was causing some problems on my new imac.  I stupidly decided just to do a clean (erase &) install of OS X instead of just leaving it alone.  Then, I was getting the problems that I had with my previous imac (spinning beach balls which changing sound output, the setup assistant messed up, etc.) so I did another erase and install.  I think everything is ok now.  Each time I have encrypted the drive.  

So basically, the SSD has been erased twice and had the OS X installed on it 3 times (encrypted 3 times) since I got it.  My question is whether doing this is going to wear out the SSD prematurely.  Also, is it better in the future (if I must) to install over the current OS X or do an erase and install.  I am guessing that I am being paranoid but the SSD is not easy to change in an imac.  

Not to mention the wear leveling algorithm used in all SSDs make sure that all cells used to the same degree.  I used to be paranoid (and my X25-E had SLC chips and my 520 only has MLC), but now I could care less.  SSDs are far and away more reliable than HDDs.  Abuse the hell out of them; the average person will never reach the end of an SSDs rated erase cycle limit.

Edited by roadtonowhere08
  • Like 2