Ye Macce Threade

• 2 weeks later...

Still requires the purchase of a dock by those who didn't have one previously or the purchase of absurdly expensive adapter cables. Surely cheaper ones will be available soon but to buy one for usb and another for an sd card seems like a shitty proposition. I think they have crossed the point of diminishing returns for me. Making it more of a nuisance instead of making it more portable.

Well, I will probably be the loner here, but I think I will be ordering the 12". Do I need it? No. But this is HC after all. And for my use, I'll probably only need the single USB dongle as the only things I really connect to are my Schiit DAC and an external Blu Ray burner, not at the same time.

So sometime soon it's very possible a 13" mid-2011 MacBook Air will be for sale.

• Like 2

I hadn't read about the 12" rMB yet but just skimmed a review and took a quick look at Apple's site and the one-port didn't strike me as a problem until I read that it's also the charging port.  I wonder if a dock, like the one that Dan mentioned, will support fast charging or if there will be issue charging via a dock while say, using an external mouse (which I always do when I'm not using the laptop on my lap)? 

I hadn't read about the 12" rMB yet but just skimmed a review and took a quick look at Apple's site and the one-port didn't strike me as a problem until I read that it's also the charging port.  I wonder if a dock, like the one that Dan mentioned, will support fast charging or if there will be issue charging via a dock while say, using an external mouse (which I always do when I'm not using the laptop on my lap)? 

A dock will have to support everything - if they had come out with a dock from the beginning, that connects to the one port, that has some USB 3.0 ports, a Thunderbolt port, and power input then it could be excused.  Just like they abandoned Firewire 800 and optical disks, I fear they are going to abandon Thunderbolt 2.0 as well someday, and this new port is the harbinger.  At least with Thunderbolt I can still use my FW800 drive and connect to ethernet with an adapter.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

I'd recommend the conservative approach:

Mac Pro

3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache

64GB (4x16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC

1TB PCIe-based flash storage

Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

Sharp 32" PN-K321 - 4K Ultra HD LED Monitor

Magic Trackpad

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - English (USA)

User's Guide (English)

AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro - Auto-enroll

• Like 2

I'd recommend the conservative approach:

Mac Pro

3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache

64GB (4x16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC

1TB PCIe-based flash storage

Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

Sharp 32" PN-K321 - 4K Ultra HD LED Monitor

Magic Trackpad

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad - English (USA)

User's Guide (English)

AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac Pro - Auto-enroll

Now we're talking ;D

Good call Stretch.  I am also being sensible and trying to decide if a Mac Pro like Dan listed would be overkill for my music server in my office.  Seems like it might be the fix I need for my puny Mac Mini with 8GB of RAM.

• Like 3

It does, just not sure two video cards with 12 GB of RAM and a 4k monitor are really necessary when the computer will be controlled by logmein from my iPad.  Will the quality of my iPad view increase greatly with this investment?