Ye Macce Threade

I saw that bhphoto is still selling 2012 quad core Minis.  Then I realized that I would need to upgrade the RAM and HD (to a SSD) and that would be close to $1200 after upgrades (and the SSD install looks like a PITA).   Then I decided I might as well get a 21.5 iMac at that price.  Then I decided that by the time I got 16gb of RAM and a 256 SSD HD, I would up to around $1600 so I might as well look at the 27" iMac since I would like to have a larger monitor anyway.  Then after the upgrades to that I decided that I should just get the new 27" Retina 5K iMac... I stopped before getting to the Mac Pro.  

• Like 3

My hackintosh is running great. Installed Yosemite using Clover yesterday. Everything except iMessages works splendidly. I can send and receive SMS but not iMessages. Far more stable than Mavericks which had frequent crashes. No crashes so far. You should investigate the avenue Shelly. For $1600 you are well on your way towards a kickass rig. The initial headache is there in trying to get everything set up but once it is there, it is rock solid. Depends on whether the headache is worth saving the extra $500-$1000. 

Edited by crappyjones123
  • Like 1

Supported and the thing running smoothly on a 27" monitor are two different things. Windows 8 runs on some really old hardware does not mean it is desirable. I was using my macbook air to feed the 27" monitor with LR/PS which was running the Intel HD 5000. Every single slider movement took ~1 second hence the move to a Hackintosh. 

I suppose the non-retina iMacs aren't going to be refreshed for quite a while.   I  read that the 5th gen Intel processors wouldn't come out until 2016.  If that is true I'm guessing there is no reason to wait before getting a new iMac.  I haven't decided that is what I want to do but it would be nice to have a 27" monitor.  How annoying is a glossy monitor?  (I'm not going to get the 5K.)