Ye Macce Threade

Really depends on what they mean by "all macs" as all of the computers they sell now are mac in one form or another.

No it doesn't. As the advertiser, they are responsible for are reasonable consumer interpretations. It certainly is reasonable to interpret "Up to 25% off all macs" as the opportunity to save 25% on each mac in the lineup. Nate's post shows the deception at work here. It's bullshit and Apple shouldn't do it. More appropriate language would be "Up to 25% off selected Macs" or something like it.

No it doesn't. As the advertiser, they are responsible for are reasonable consumer interpretations. It certainly is reasonable to interpret "Up to 25% off all macs" as the opportunity to save 25% on each mac in the lineup. Nate's post shows the deception at work here. It's bullshit and Apple shouldn't do it. More appropriate language would be "Up to 25% off selected Macs" or something like it.
Not to get too nitpicky, but that wouldn't fix the problem, would it? That only covers it if they don't discount some macs. The problem is that the expectation is not "up to", even though the verbage says that; most consumers would read that as "around but less than or equal to 25% off". Maybe the consumers would get a better idea of the range -- all hypothetically speaking, of course; we'll find out when the actual flyer comes in -- if they said "from 5 to 25% off", that would lower more peoples' expectations appropriately, don't you think?

I recently got an ad from dogfunk.com (Nixon watch reseller) that said "up to 60% off" -- guess what? All the "all black" and the like watches that I like? 0% off. Do I have a case with them as well?

Good to know, and I agree with you, assuming there's a deception going on here. I keep forgetting the modifiers like "all" function wee bit different in real world than they do in all those logic courses I had to take.

Do we even know if the original deal flyer is legit?

Not yet.

Not to get too nitpicky, but that wouldn't fix the problem, would it? That only covers it if they don't discount some macs. The problem is that the expectation is not "up to", even though the verbage says that; most consumers would read that as "around but less than or equal to 25% off". Maybe the consumers would get a better idea of the range -- all hypothetically speaking, of course; we'll find out when the actual flyer comes in -- if they said "from 5 to 25% off", that would lower more peoples' expectations appropriately, don't you think?

I recently got an ad from dogfunk.com (Nixon watch reseller) that said "up to 60% off" -- guess what? All the "all black" and the like watches that I like? 0% off. Do I have a case with them as well?

Yes, I think "from 5 to 25% off" is better. What was the full text of the ad you received?

That's bull shit - I'd sue.

Typical American attitude that.

I think that question "Why isn't there anything in the warranty about cigarette smoke?" question is bullshit. If you kill your computer by getting tar all over the internals, how is that a manufacturing fault any more than a laptop failing from spilling liquid on it? It's PEBCAK.