Ye Macce Threade

Held on in my hands today, decided against purchasing.

Apparently I use my mouse "claw" style, meaning that I basically grip the sides with my thumb, pinkie, and finger next to pinkie. I use the other two for clicking and such. This is opposed to the other style, where you physically rest your hand on the mouse, which I do not do. Evidently, the magic mouse is built for the latter, as it is too heavy to pick up, and too awkward to use normally for me.

So take a look at your right hand. If your second knuckle isn't touching your mouse, I doubt you'd enjoy the magic mouse.

Good to know... I guess I use "claw" style.

Apparently I use my mouse "claw" style, meaning that I basically grip the sides with my thumb, pinkie, and finger next to pinkie. I use the other two for clicking and such. This is opposed to the other style, where you physically rest your hand on the mouse, which I do not do. Evidently, the magic mouse is built for the latter, as it is too heavy to pick up, and too awkward to use normally for me.

So take a look at your right hand. If your second knuckle isn't touching your mouse, I doubt you'd enjoy the magic mouse.

Seems I do too. Never thought about this. Maybe that is why I didn't find the original iMac hokey-puck mouse to be annoying, but rather good -- it was designed to be used with your finger tips. I'll end up getting a Magic Mouse with my new iMac (though I have to wait a few weeks for that to be available) and then I'll decide if it's worthy of switching from my Logitech G9 (which I program using USB Overdrive).

HAHA, love Miami Vice-era PC.

Oh and thumb-operated trackball FTW.

Is it worth it to go from 1.5 to 2.0 GB?
money better spent on a screaming fast HD. Slightly insane to do it in an iMac (unless you are cool with an external drive for storage as 300gb@10krpm is $$$) but I'm using 10krpm drives as boot/sys drives in my main boxen, I'll never go back... the latest 7200rpm 1TB+ drives slay however and certainly make things zippier.

Check out your memory usage in activity monitor if you're concerned..... and remember that "inactive" is basically the same as unused and cache is a good thing. 4GB definitely the price/performance sweet spot for OS X. I don't chew it up every day but when I do it's very nice to have.

Yeah, seems like some FUD, but Apple's brand spanking new versions of hardware give me the willies.

There's certainly reason for caution, given the history of Rev. 1 products. On the other hand, I've had three iMacs -- G4 (lamp), G5 and now 24" Intel -- that were all first run and none of which had any hardware issues. Of course, after typing that, my screen will immediately catch fire.

I love the new 27-inchers and want one, but also hope my current machine will go another 18 months or so, as I think all the new models are really missing is USB 3.0 and wonder if the next turn will bring that.