Ye Macce Threade

Mac Forum support for Macs:

Person A: I have a problem with my Mac.

Person B: Have you tried repairing permissions? (Even though they don't know what permissions are, let alone that it has been pointless for the past few years to do so.)

Person C: (Some other useless suggestion parroted from elsewhere).

etc.

It surprises me how long Apple took to "take care" of this "problem". It might have been a good commercial strategy though, allowing people to try OSX for free, and then saying, "if you liked it, then buy a real Mac".

They've been "taking care" of it for years by doing things such as removing support for hardware not used in Macs and overwriting the kernel every time an update is installed.

Mac Forum support for Macs:

Person A: I have a problem with my Mac.

Person B: Have you tried repairing permissions? (Even though they don't know what permissions are, let alone that it has been pointless for the past few years to do so.)

Person C: (Some other useless suggestion parroted from elsewhere).

etc.

Exactly. Followed finally by, "You just hate Apple. Go get a PC."

I recently installed Windows 7 on my tablet. It, so far, has been ok - not as bad as Vista or XP. I was trying to see how much room I had on my hard drive to try and do a dual boot Hackintosh tablet. I have hardly anything on the tablet (Windows 7 and Adobe Illustrator plus a few files of my own that take up maybe a few hundred MBs of space). The computer tells me that I have 27GB free out of 68.4GB! WTF!!!! Snooping around a bit I find a folder called Windows.old which has a "size" of 25.2GB and "size on disk" of 20.9GB (presumably all of Windows fu****' Vista and all the programs I had previously on the computer).

Anyways, I know this is the Mac thread so I just wanted to complain here and say that Microsoft still has so much to learn from Apple.

By the way, anyone know if I can just delete this huge folder and get back half of my harddrive? Is there some way I can reinstall everything and not have this happen.

I mean, I personally love that option. It keeps my old windows files so I can recover whatever I missed.

When you are installing windows 7, it should have said, fresh install (or something) or upgrade. I'm assuming you chose upgrade instead of fresh install, and thats why the old windows files are still on there

I mean, I personally love that option. It keeps my old windows files so I can recover whatever I missed.

When you are installing windows 7, it should have said, fresh install (or something) or upgrade. I'm assuming you chose upgrade instead of fresh install, and thats why the old windows files are still on there

I tried to "upgrade" but it said I wasn't allowed to do that since I was going from Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Home Premium so I assumed I was doing a clean install (guess not). I will see if I can start from scratch and do a clean install. Since I keep very few "personal" files (all copied to my Mac and backed up there) on the tablet (since the HD is sooooo small) and have very few programs installed, it is not such a big deal for my to restart all over again.

Shelly, think of it this way, it allows a user to do a fresh install of the OS but still easily migrate over old files that are not tied to the OS structure. So if you had say 100gigs of music and didn't want to have to offload it and then reload it that would be pretty darn convenient. Honestly, I think it's one of the things they've now gotten right, they just need to explain what the heck it is so folks know they can delete it if they don't have a use for it.