Ye Macce Threade

Hell yeah!

I played with the new 3.06 C2D the other day and that was pretty snappy with 4GB of RAM. Put 8GB in the i7 machine and go to town.

Will say that you'll probably want a fair bit of wall clearance behind the screen for air circulation, as the Apple Store iMacs were pumping out the heat pretty impressively. The whole aluminium back panel seems to act as a big radiator.

Our iMac runs super warm and worries me sometimes, but it has been running most of the time over the last year+ and has no problems.

Mac noob question

I have an old Powermac G5 with dual 1.8 (non intel) processors. The old Mighty Mouse is dying and I want to replace it with the new mouse that just came out. The problem is that the mac is still running 10.3 and the minimum OS requirement is 10.5. Obviously, I cannot run SL because SL require intel processors. Does apple still sell Leopard OS disks and can it be upgraded without doing a clean install ? (I'm assuming it does, just want to make sure)

Mac noob question

I have an old Powermac G5 with dual 1.8 (non intel) processors. The old Mighty Mouse is dying and I want to replace it with the new mouse that just came out. The problem is that the mac is still running 10.3 and the minimum OS requirement is 10.5. Obviously, I cannot run SL because SL require intel processors. Does apple still sell Leopard OS disks and can it be upgraded without doing a clean install ? (I'm assuming it does, just want to make sure)

It can, tho 10.3 to 10.5 is a big jump, so save copies of anything you're concerned about :)

It can, tho 10.3 to 10.5 is a big jump, so save copies of anything you're concerned about :)

Got it.

The main problem is that the computer is running Illustrator CS1 and it kinda needs to work with 10.5. Ah well, I'll find out if it does when I'm upgrading.

Uh, so does Apple still sell Leopard disks?

Google Chrome is interesting. Barfed on a couple of sites, but that's no big drama. I like that tabs are in individual processes. I don't like that each process uses 40 MB of memory. Feature set so far is very basic. It imports in full from Firefox (or Safari, though I didn't test what it imported), including saved passwords, which is a nice bonus.

The new Magic Mouse is heavy, surprisingly. Hard to judge feel in the store standing up. Considering the cost of a new 15" MacBook Pro, which is my preferred size, I'd rather get an iMac for home then buy a second-hand Air for traveling. That comes to about the same price as the 15" MBP I want. If anything I wish the iMac had a couple of eSATA ports.

1) As Al mentioned, it is heavy and awkward for right clicking.

2) As with other Apple mice, Apple seems to think people enjoy having to physically pick up the mouse repeatedly to traverse the entire screen.

3) While iGesture (or whatever its called), is kind of cool, particularly the scroll function, it is rough around the edges, and not yet seamless enough that I would not like some extra buttons for flipping back and forth between web pages, etc. But god forbid we should have more than one button!