Ye Macce Threade

Typical American attitude that.

I think that question "Why isn't there anything in the warranty about cigarette smoke?" question is bullshit. If you kill your computer by getting tar all over the internals, how is that a manufacturing fault any more than a laptop failing from spilling liquid on it? It's PEBCAK.

It sounded to me more like the issue is that they smell like cigarettes and so they are a bio-hazard, and not that they are covered in tar and nicotine that caused them to fail. Maybe I read it wrong, and I agree with the "you break it, you pay for it" philosophy. But does smelling like a cigarette disqualify one from repairs?

I hate cigarettes, I have a lung disease that brings my oxygen levels to the high 80's, high 70's on a flight of stairs. I avoid smoke every chance I can. But I don't see why a smokey computer can't be fixed by a guy wearing a mask and gloves, or a bunny suit as we call them. It seems to me that it's more of that liberal green BS, that they are so special and above stooping to that level, so they rob the consumer of their rights.

The article said the computer had failed from "tar from cigarette smoke", that sounds like it got pretty gummed up. Not really surprising apple wouldn't repair something destroyed like that. That's not failure of their workmanship, but rather something killed by environmental factors.

I agree about the Liberal bullshit, but guess who would be suing in the future if they got cancer and didn't smoke? Not that I believe dealing with tar would result in that unless the exposure was huge, but you can see what I'm getting at. (I was a Health and Safety officer at a previous job and things were getting ridiculous, I must say.)

you just planning to use it as a blu-ray burner?

I dont want to use it more than for it's playback option. My main concern is that I figure it could cost me around (even if I ignore all the trouble for buying hardware from the US) 300$. I would like at least buying a decent device and not a B grade stuff under the Apple sex appeal...:P

Thanks,

Amicalement from Qu

"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt. It's great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we're waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace."

Apple's Steve Jobs calls Blu-ray "a bag of hurt" -- Engadget

Translation -- "File sizes still too big to push through iTunes as of right this minute." :)

HTPCs (or HTMacs) are a fucking hassle. Buy an Oppo.