Ye Macce Threade

I didn't know about that, thanks! Unfortunately, the "Calculations are restricted to 60 seconds" comment on the bottom of the page is pretty restrictive. Not sure I run any examples that finish that quickly. :)

i ran into that problem with some longish bit cryptosystems mostly because i was bored one night and wanted to test the limits of computation of magma. i really had to use some weird keys to not get a response from magma. so now im morbidly curious as to what you are doing that wont get done in 60 seconds. strange group order calculations?

i ran into that problem with some longish bit cryptosystems mostly because i was bored one night and wanted to test the limits of computation of magma. i really had to use some weird keys to not get a response from magma. so now im morbidly curious as to what you are doing that wont get done in 60 seconds. strange group order calculations?

They are mostly things are usually computations involving infinite groups or computing certain homology groups with n! generators. Things can take a long time (or run out of memory) very quickly as n gets the least bit big. Most of the computations that I would like to do are just not possible. I have run some stuff that has run for a month and I finally stopped it and decided that there should be a better way to do it.

Got the 11" Air today (2 days earlier than estimated)!

I a bit concerned. When setting up the Air, it asked me to join a network... no problem, it asked me to register it... no problem, then it asked me to create a user account... again no problem. However, as soon as I hit continue it delayed for a second saying "connecting to apple" or something like that at the bottom of the screen. I unclicked the option to log on with apple id since I definitely do not want that feature. Why should they be sending any information about my local account to apple? Does apple now have my password (encrypted obviously, hopefully) stored on their server somewhere.

I am getting used to Lion and it is not so bad after changing a few preferences and figuring out how to get more spaces.

When I first set up the computer, I decided to turn on Firevault 2 before I filled up the harddrive. I have never used it before because it didn't work with Time Machine but the new one is suppose to be "better" (even though it is only 128-bit encryption vs the older 256 bit) so I thought I would give it a try. But I am wondering if it is really necessary given the slight performance loss and the fact that Air only has a 1.6Ghz processor to start with. I keep all/most sensitive information in an encrypted disk image already - it would just be for extra protection - in case I downloaded something and forgot about it or something like that.

I am surprised there is not a "remote" app built into Lion to control Apple TV. Is there one and I don't know about it. I can see myself using the Air as a replacement for the ipad and that would be a nice feature. I know that you can use airplay via itunes but I would like something that I can use to navigate Netflix via Apple TV.

I installed Lion on my 2011 MBP 15 i7 with 8gb ram and over the course of a day more than half my RAM is listed as inactive. I start the day playing music with 6gb RAM available and over time the system seems to eat RAM. If I restart all is well, any ideas why Lion does this?

So Anne must have accidentally pulled the prongs off the AC adapter of her new MBA while unplugging it from the wall of the hotel room a few days ago. So now she can't charge the thing, and there's prolly a pair of prongs in the wall of the Hyatt in Santa Fe. :palm:

I installed Lion on my 2011 MBP 15 i7 with 8gb ram and over the course of a day more than half my RAM is listed as inactive. I start the day playing music with 6gb RAM available and over time the system seems to eat RAM. If I restart all is well, any ideas why Lion does this?

jp, could it be this?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1181523

Google 'memory leak' and 'Lion', and all sorts of stuff comes up. Most reference Safari as the cause, and many resolved it by using Firefox.

So Anne must have accidentally pulled the prongs off the AC adapter of her new MBA while unplugging it from the wall of the hotel room a few days ago. So now she can't charge the thing, and there's prolly a pair of prongs in the wall of the Hyatt in Santa Fe. :palm:

If you're anywhere near an apple store, you should be able to pick up the extension cable. I've never seen just the prongs for sale, tho. You could always post on craigslist for wherever you are and see if someone will sell them to you...

If you're anywhere near an apple store, you should be able to pick up the extension cable. I've never seen just the prongs for sale, tho. You could always post on craigslist for wherever you are and see if someone will sell them to you...

Thanks, I'll look into this. We might be ok, though ... we're travelling with a family of Mac-Heads (is that the right term?). They are traveling with an old MBP and a new MBP. I'm hoping the new MBP uses the same charger (or at least the same prongs) as the new MBA. Plus the woman in that family forgot to pack a pair of hiking socks, so we offered a pair of hiking socks in exchange for use of their AC adapter. :P

We're actually staying in the same hotel for one night on the way back, so I called and asked them to be on the lookout for a set of prongs stuck in an outlet of room 907!

Inactive RAM can be ignored and even considered as free memory. This is what makes Mac OS X quick: It keeps recently used data in memory (but flagged as purge-able for other stuff). If you ran one of those programs to purge all the inactive memory, you'd notice a huge slow-down.

That being said, Safari/Web Process is a huge memory hog and I've been getting spinning beachballs lately with it too. I'm going to run DiskWarrior over my disk, as that should speed things up somewhat.