Ye Macce Threade

all the macbook adapters work for the air, as the air's got the lowest power requirements, so you should be good.

I was surprised to hear this since the voltage output is different on all 3:

1) 45W, 14.4V

2) 60W, 16.5V

3) 85W, 16.5-18.5V

But I was able to find this page that does seem to confirm it. Can someone explain why we can use any of them? I couldn't find any good explanation. I guess the computers are smart enough to only draw what they need?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2346

I have an extra 85W adaptor for my MBP at work and would love to be able to use this with the MBA regularly (without any bad side effects like ruining the battery or something like that).

I figured out what is going on with Safari. I just sold off my MacBook Pro and was temporarily using my old one, which has only 3GB of RAM (compared to 8GB I had before). Safari wasn't being a memory hog on that computer. It seems that Apple is, presumably for speed, allowing their apps to go crazy in taking up a lot of RAM, just as the OS will keep things in RAM but flagged as "inactive". Now instead of paging out apps (into virtual memory) that aren't used, and having them painfully page back into physical memory when you try and run on them, Lion will just, iOS-style, kill the apps that aren't in use. Once all apps learn to resume upon launch as the Apple ones do, it will be more efficient and faster and new users that don't have the indicators on in the dock that show what apps are open will be none-the-wiser.

Edit: I might be somewhat off the mark with this, going by this article: http://tidbits.com/e/12398

Edited by Currawong

The Apple store waited until 8:30pm to call us to say that my daughter's MacBook is fixed and ready to pick up.  I would have gone tonight if they'd called sooner, but the store is over 30 minutes away.  When they called I was on my way home from delivering roses to the restaurant where my wife and I are celebrating our 19th anniversary tomorrow, so I might have made it to Apple if they'd called my cell like I asked. They confirmed the logic board was replaced for the $280, but I won't know about the battery until I pick it up tomorrow. This flat rate refurb deal is a steal.

The repaired Macbook works great and they did indeed give us a new battery along with the new logic board. The thing is cleaned up and looks new.

Since we couldn't de-authorize the dead computer from iTunes before the motherboard was swapped out, Tyler helped me email Apple support about iTunes authorization (we were at the limit with 5 macs). They were willing to "de-authorize all computers" for iTunes without using up our "once a year" reset. It's strange that the new motherboard was given the same serial number as the old one, and iTunes still didn't think this new logic board was authorized.

We made sure to unplug our 160Gb 1st gen ATV first, so that when the iMac was de-authorized we wouldn't have the ATV's DRM protected content removed by accident.

^ Are you sure there's a limit on "de-authorizing all computers" on iTunes? I had to do it once this year when I bought my MBP (my long dead & gone iBook was still connected to the account) and it didn't stop from trying to de-authorizing all computers again when I tried it just now.

EDIT - Never mind, just saw an Apple Support article on it. I wonder why it didn't try to stop me from de-authorizing my computers, though.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

^ Are you sure there's a limit on "de-authorizing all computers" on iTunes? I had to do it once this year when I bought my MBP (my long dead & gone iBook was still connected to the account) and it didn't stop from trying to de-authorizing all computers again when I tried it just now.

EDIT - Never mind, just saw an Apple Support article on it. I wonder why it didn't try to stop me from de-authorizing my computers, though.

You can de-authorize any computer one at a time as often as you want, in order to play DRM iTunes music/Video on different computers over the limit of 5. But when you don't have access to the computer anymore, i.e. broken or stolen, if you are already at your 5 computer limit then the only option is to "de-authorize all" to get that one computer off the authorized list so you can make room for the new one.

Apple cannot de-authorize only one computer for you, even they are also stuck with the "all or nothing" choice. I've had a logic board swapped in my old G5 iMac a few years ago and Apple did the reset for me so I didn't have to use up my one chance on that. But when a RAM slot went bad on the Core2Duo iMac I was able to deauthorize it before I had them replace the logic board.

I suppose if one sells their computer they can still contact the buyer and ask them to load iTune and choose store > deauthorize the computer for you. Now, iCloud has a once every 90 day limit for changing devices, from what I've read, but I'm not sure why.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

10.7.1 seems to have brought both of my machines back to Snow Leopard snappiness. things had become slightly stuttery with Lion, in certain circumstances. CPU usage seems to be down in general, which is probably a big cause of that. not bad for 17 MB of updates.

I shall begin the update then.

Safari seems to be hogging memory considerably less with the .1 update.

In the end though, I ended up selling off my 15" MBP and all my monitors and some other crap and buying a 17" MBP matte-screen 2.3 Ghz model with 8GB of RAM. I figured that since it sits on my desk most of the time I can get away without a monitor yet still take it (somewhat tediously) with me if I travel. I ordered a 480GB OWC SSD and the bits to replace the optical drive with a HD, so with my existing eSATA Expresscard it will be a serious enough beast by the time I'm done that should keep me going for a number of years.