Ye Macce Threade

My wife is getting 3-7 hrs on her 13" MBA, depending on what is running. Pretty much it's Flash that kills the battery in her case; she sometimes lets the kids play some online video games. Once or twice, some program got going and caused a rapid drain - once it was photo booth, another time we never figured it out. Each time, a reboot resolved it.

Edited by jvlgato

Make sure you've updated Flash. Adobe now includes a System Preference Pane for it which has auto updates. Why they didn't do this years ago is beyond me, but old versions of Flash are usually the cause of the problem.

The other thing you can do is install the Click2Flash extension so that Flash only loads when it is clicked on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a good chat program for OS X that will allow me to chat with my woman who uses google chat at work. Google Chat apparently doesn't work on Macs, so suggestions welcome. iChat can be made to work I think, but I kind of hate iChat (anyone else feel the same?). Also, an alternative to google chat on windows would be appreciated.

ok, thanks Dan. I'll try it again.

Anyone see the specs on the Thunderbolt Monitor? It looks pretty awesome. Even the audio seems highly decent.

EDIT: From ifixit via MR:

Both sides of the logic board are packed with enough chips that it’s hard to believe there’s no computer inside this display. Standouts include:

- Pericom PI7C9X440SL PCIe-to-USB 2.0 host controller

- L129NB11 EFL, which looks to be the Thunderbolt port controller

- Analog Devices ADAV4601 audio processor

- NXP LPC2144 USB 2.0 microcontroller

- Delta LFE9249 10/100/1000 Base-T LAN filter

- SMSC USB2517-JZX USB 2.0 hub controller

- Maxim MAX9736B Mono/Stereo high-power Class D amplifier

- LSI L-FW643E-2 open host controller interface

- Broadcom BCM57761 Gigabit ethernet controller

- Supertex HV9982 3-channel switch-mode LED driver IC

The display also includes an integrated 49-watt, 2.1-speaker sound system with a small 1-inch subwoofer, as well as a 720p FaceTime camera and integrated microphone.

I'm looking for a good chat program for OS X that will allow me to chat with my woman who uses google chat at work. Google Chat apparently doesn't work on Macs, so suggestions welcome. iChat can be made to work I think, but I kind of hate iChat (anyone else feel the same?). Also, an alternative to google chat on windows would be appreciated.
I thought the standalone Google Chat development (on any platform) was discontinued years ago? Anyway, wouldn't the easiest solution just be to sign into gmail and turn on chat?