New Outlaw compact subwoofer.

Hopstretch

Yeah yeah yeah, take all the measurements you want. Use all the obscure terms you want.

But in the real world, with a realistic budget tkam is right, you need to move more air to get more output.

I tried a lot of subwoofers in the day, including Bob Carver's Sunfire True Subwoofer. The big Velodynes consistantly outperformed it. The sub that really impressed me was the Paradigm Reference Servo 15. This sub has been relatively unchanged for about 20 years, and for good reason.

For a small room/office, the Sunfires are perfect. I'm-a gonna have to ask my boss to borrow his.

Agreed, I demo'd the original Sunfire back when I had a more focused home theater and was pretty impressed at what it could do within the bounds of it's stated purpose. At the time it ultimately proved to be a non-option in a 200 year old house with another person whose bedroom was below my living room. I'd revisit it now but I can't remember the last time I got to sit down and watch a movie in my living room at any sort of movie listening volume.

I picked up a pair of b-stock ULW10 from av123 with their new 500w amps. The pair hit hard and deep. Very musical. I couldn't be happier considering the price I paid... Lots of output at 20Hz and below, all in a similar small box to the outlaw with a 10" driver.

But you're no longer discussing a small footprint subwoofer for the office, which is what this thread was originally about. How do the smaller Velodynes do, performance wise?

For a small room/office, the Sunfires are perfect. I'm-a gonna have to ask my boss to borrow his.

Quite true. For a smaller footprint I do agree the Carver is impressive. The newer small Velodynes are also very nice.

I picked up a pair of b-stock ULW10 from av123 with their new 500w amps. The pair hit hard and deep. Very musical. I couldn't be happier considering the price I paid... Lots of output at 20Hz and below, all in a similar small box to the outlaw with a 10" driver.

What you want to do with a sub has a lot to do with what sub to buy.

The Paradigm reaches very, very deep, but like so many bigger subs it's not that fast. I would look into a larger sub for home theater purposes.

For music I too prefer a 10" sub for it's speed and musicality, and most of us will never need to dip down to 20Hz or below for our music listening needs.

I have a matched pair of the AV123 UFW10 subs in my audio system, and they're quite impressive, and easy to incorprate into most systems. I also love the balanced inputs!

If my new TV prompts me to want to get back into home theater, I'll contemplate a bigger sub for that job.

What you want to do with a sub has a lot to do with what sub to buy.

The Paradigm reaches very, very deep, but like so many bigger subs it's not that fast. I would look into a larger sub for home theater purposes.

For music I too prefer a 10" sub for it's speed and musicality, and most of us will never need to dip down to 20Hz or below for our music listening needs.

I have a matched pair of the AV123 UFW10 subs in my audio system, and they're quite impressive, and easy to incorprate into most systems. I also love the balanced inputs!

If my new TV prompts me to want to get back into home theater, I'll contemplate a bigger sub for that job.

Absolutely, I purchased them for two reasons.

1. I wanted a sub that was musical, fast and tight.

2. I wanted a small sub that could be hidden since I live in an apartment. I just 'happened' to get two instead of one... my wife to this day isn't that thrilled about it. rofl.

They are great for music, and still have enough rumble for movies to be nice!

Do yours have the old amp, or the new 500w one? mine have the new version and compared to the older version one of my friends has mine are a sizable upgrade.

SUNFIRE: True Subwoofer EQ 10 Signature - TS-EQ10

Velodyne MINI VEE - MiniVee MiniVee Subwoofer 2000 Watt Digital Switching Amplifier at Vanns.com | features

But the sunfire is considerably more expensive, and the Velodyne is an 8". I've heard the MiniVee and its damn impressive for its size.

Subwoofer Rule #1: There's no replacement for displacement.

Unless that 10" pushes a serious amount of air, I wouldn't expect a ton of volume down in the low 20hz range. Even with the 1000W amp.

The Sunfire is a long-throw, so it still has displacement. :)

Displacement is volume, not area.

I would definitely do a Sunfire again (I used to have a True Sub Jr.).

I also prefer the continuous phase, rather than a 0/180 switch.

I don't know if the SVS that I am lusting after has a long throw driver -- that might throw me back into the Sunfire camp.

I am always amazed at how well my 1000 watt Velodyne 8" subwoofer performs - it indeed goes deep and loud enough for movies. It came with 5 Velodyne 2-way satellites as a $1,500 5.1 system, although I switched to in-the-wall Jamo 2-way speakers and moved the satellites into my bedroom. I have the sub corner loaded in a very large room, and the bass detail still does not get muddled with music. In the five years I have had it I have not thought about replacing it with a bigger unit. Now, with the crappy sharper image sub I got for Xmas a few years ago for the bedroom, I do think about replacing all the time.

Absolutely, I purchased them for two reasons.

1. I wanted a sub that was musical, fast and tight.

2. I wanted a small sub that could be hidden since I live in an apartment. I just 'happened' to get two instead of one... my wife to this day isn't that thrilled about it. rofl.

They are great for music, and still have enough rumble for movies to be nice!

Do yours have the old amp, or the new 500w one? mine have the new version and compared to the older version one of my friends has mine are a sizable upgrade.

Well both of my amps are 500 watts, because mine are the UFW-10, not the ULW-10.

However one of my amps quit working and they replaced it with the newer version. It took some time, as there was apparently a bit of work to change it out. I do like the newer amp better, and I set the crossovers a little differently on each sub now to take advantage of the differences in the newer amp.

Well both of my amps are 500 watts, because mine are the UFW-10, not the ULW-10.

However one of my amps quit working and they replaced it with the newer version. It took some time, as there was apparently a bit of work to change it out. I do like the newer amp better, and I set the crossovers a little differently on each sub now to take advantage of the differences in the newer amp.

are they like under your bed? :) you're going to have the most gear per square inch of living area I've ever seen!

I still have my Velodyne HGS-10 tiny little servo sub. I did a head to head in home comparison with one of the original Sunfire "True" Subwoofer. The Velodyne blew it away. Much much tighter and cleaner bass, and a lot faster.

Of course now I live in a condo with paper thin walls, so my poor Velodyne does not get much love lately. Sometimes if the neighbors decide to crank their stereo, I crank my system to 11, shut off all the main speakers, and just let the 'lil Velodyne crank.

this is the right way to do this

Wilson Audio: Audio Excellence, High-quality Audio Components, Luxury Speakers

30 watts will blow the windows out...

Or build one yourself.

At over 400 pounds, I'd need piano movers to bring it in. At $21k

I'd need a second mortgage. But if it performs like it looks, it

would be quite an experience. I always liked Wilson stuff.

My used SVS 25-31 PCI was $200. That will have to do until I

hit the lottery!