New Outlaw compact subwoofer.

Hopstretch

ecs_woofer_large.jpg

ecs_amp_large.jpg

Pretty nice little package. 12"*12"*14", sealed 10" woofer, 50lbs, 1000W RMS, claimed 23Hz extension, $800. If I ever get a sub for the office rig, this will be near the top of my list.

Only thing I can think of that would probably do more for less is the Epik Vanquish at $700, but that's quite a bit bigger and heavier.

The Sunfire is a long-throw, so it still has displacement. :)

Displacement is volume, not area.

I would definitely do a Sunfire again (I used to have a True Sub Jr.).

I also prefer the continuous phase, rather than a 0/180 switch.

I don't know if the SVS that I am lusting after has a long throw driver -- that might throw me back into the Sunfire camp.

The Sunfire is a long-throw, so it still has displacement. :)

Displacement is volume, not area.

No shit, I'm aware of this, and just because they call it long-throw doesn't mean it actually is. Smaller drivers need to have a huge x-max to compete with bigger drivers.

I'd almost guarantee that the SVS driver has a higher xmax than anything sunfire has ever used.

ok fine as a general rule of thumb for a smaller drive to have more displacement than a bigger one it needs to have a higher x-max assuming all other things equal :P

Xmax is a crock. I mean, what distortion to you define? I could define Xmax = Xphysical, why not.. I'd have a ton of distortion, but hey. If you think everyone uses a 10% number, you'd be wrong... It's just like Watts... without clarification, it's rather meaningless.

edit: just found this link, good read:

http://www.aespeakers.eu/knowledge-base/the-deal-with-xmax.html

Edited by luvdunhill

Xmax is a crock. I mean, what distortion to you define? I could define Xmax = Xphysical, why not.. I'd have a ton of distortion, but hey. If you think everyone uses a 10% number, you'd be wrong... It's just like Watts... without clarification, it's rather meaningless.

christ, why are you making such a big deal out of this? i was just using xmax as a parameter to make my point about displacement being key when it comes to subwoofers....

eh thats almost just as bogus, unless your using an anocheic chamber and have precise measurements as to how far away the mic is. plus spl #'s change completely depending on the room used. xmax doesn't ;).

Not for these frequencies. 1W 1m is the standard for SPL. There simply isn't a standard for measuring Xmax, see my article above. SPL also accounts for Sd, so you can compare different diameter drivers directly.

I've measured this many, many times. Hell, microphone calibration doesn't even come into play at this sort of measurement.

I'll give it a rest.

Edited by luvdunhill