Luxman P1u

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear that I already posted a response here this morning, but here goes again:

A couple of people asked how the JH|13 Pros sound out of the P-1u, so I thought I would post a quick comment. I already knew the P-1 drove them extremely well, but I tried the JH|13 out last night and the P-1u hit another home run. The JH|13s are so much better with really good amplification, and the P-1u / P-1 drive them better than anything else I can recall hearing. The silent background and very balanced volume control obviously factor into that performance. You forget you are wearing IEMs and the immersion in music is complete. Fantastic stuff.

blessingx came by last night and did some A/B listening with the P-1 and P-1u to see if they sound as similar as I feel they do. At first, he thought there might be some slight differences in presentation but after equalizing the volume level as much as possible his tentative thought was that it is hard to distinguish between them. Ric is taking the P-1u for a few days before it moves on to the next lucky member in the loaner program, and I hope he will post up his own comments and experiences with them.

Ignoring the Japanese import, this goes for $3000 on Todd's site, how much do P-1's go for used? I recall something around $2000. How much was the P-1 new?

I think the US P-1 was $2500 new and used ranges from $2100 down to stevieo's recent sale at or below $1800.

As Al said, we tried a little 20 minute experiment with the P1/P1u and his Amarra, HD800s & AD2000s and although the P1 output was a touch higher (thus sounded fuller at lower level), as soon as we dipped the Amarras variable output down a small bit, and reset volume levels, I found it was very difficult to tell the difference.

Will definitely pipe in with comments in the next day or two. Listening to some of the Beatles mono and stereo remasters at the moment with HD580s and K701s. More problematic CD3000, which I always loved with the P1, soon.

Voltron: Nice write-up and nice music too. It sounds like they've dropped the power in favour of lower noise. They are great IMO if one has a balanced DAC for whatever reason and wants to get the most out of it, but doesn't want to bother with balanced headphones.

I've seen them go for under $100k yen on Yahoo, so about $1400 or so shipped probably. The Japanese abandon stuff that isn't the latest, so right now they are a bargain IMO. Craig@Kuboten might still the one I borrowed, which I think he put on the 'gon for $1500 as well.

I'd just like to say that I'm following this thread with interest and I appreciate the detailed, ongoing write-ups. This is much more interesting to me than the Head-Fi fanboy coverage of the Woo Audio, etc. valve-based products in the same price range, not that there's anything wrong with them. I'm also looking at the Headamp GS-1 and the Channel Islands VHP-2 (for their discrete outputs) but there doesn't seem to be that much competition at this level. I guess the Eddie Current Solid State might be in the same category, but I haven't read much about it yet.

I'd just like to say that I'm following this thread with interest and I appreciate the detailed, ongoing write-ups. This is much more interesting to me than the Head-Fi fanboy coverage of the Woo Audio, etc. valve-based products in the same price range, not that there's anything wrong with them. I'm also looking at the Headamp GS-1 and the Channel Islands VHP-2 (for their discrete outputs) but there doesn't seem to be that much competition at this level. I guess the Eddie Current Solid State might be in the same category, but I haven't read much about it yet.

Well the P1u should be more compared to the GS-X if we are talking cost etc. Also there is the SPL Phonitor (not discrete but custom op amp).

I mentioned the GS-1 because I'm not particularly interested in a balanced output (my source is single-ended), but I'd definitely look at the GS-X seriously if I had more money. I'm avoiding op-amp designs just because I'm fine with my own op-amp based amplifier... however, I'll take a look at the Phonitor for curiosity's sake. Thanks for the tip!

What I posted over at HF...

Here are some very, very brief thoughts. My time with the P1u was limited and I selfishly spent more time listening than detailed comparing.

I was a fan of the 'powerful reserves, but polite' Luxman P1 presentation and the P1u continues this. They are very, very close in sound (spent some time comparing Al's P1) and I'm afraid I don't currently own a dynamic headphone amp that competes closely with either.

Much of the differences may come down to balanced operation, and their prices ranges certainly differ greatly, but using the Tony Bennett and Bill Evans XRCD (ripped and Airport Express to Parasound 1600 HD) the P1u has a larger and seemingly more accurate soundstage than my Headamp GS1 with both HD580 and K701. This was further confirmed by the more problematic, though best I've ever heard them, CD3000. A better extension in both ends (including lower presence), a more organic (though may or may not be accurate) decay were more obviously also added to the mix there (then confirm back with other cans). Overall though, the most immediately recognized difference, and all-emcompassing trait, was a more life-like atmostphere with all three cans.

Shifting over to tubes and Ennio Morricone's*The Best of 50 Years of Music (previous B&W Society of Sound club and future CD release), the Singlepower Extreme Platinum (with RCA 6SN7/IBM 5998s mostly) immediately falls behind the P1u in instrument separation and resolution (clearly can pick out more separate strings) and overall signiture balance. The Exteme seemed a bit peaky and plain uncontrolled in comparison. And again the soudstage grows.

On the discussed blackness levels, I don't have the cleanest electrical system, but I only heard slight noise when maxing the volume, and once disconnecting my source, heard nothing all the way up.

I know these trait differences are rather simplistic, but from my limited time comparing, the P1u clearly stood out above the others. More importantly it eliminated the issues I occasionally have with either, which arguably are their greatest strengths. If you feel the GS1 is a bit neutral/flat, the P1u is will bring life to the music with some signiture tweaks, if you feel the energy of the Singlepowers can often step on the music, the P1u will tame that down. While doing both it will dramatically create a more belieable soundstage. Course this is at minimum triple the cost and sacrificing a little functionality.

I've been pretty focused on Stax and K1000s the last few years, however if I was looking for a solution for conventional dymanic cans, this is where I'd start. I'd easily recommend the same for tube or solid state fans. It's probably my favorite headphone amp.

Have you opened the P1/u to see the insides? I ask this because afaik Luxman is only producing 100 and 120 Volt units for the Japanese and US markets. However someone, I think it was at HF, said the trafo had different primaries, so it would be possible wiring it for 230V operation. Were that true, I'd seriously consider giving this amp a try. Any information about this issue will be very welcome.