Playing High Resolution Audio Files Through a Mac?

My correction was correct. It is in fact not the default. Spend some time on gearslutz and you will see that a large majority of the protools guys use windows.

The fact that protools is available for mac in no

way undermines my believeability. I guess I could have been clearer that it was available for both.

Holy overreaction bat man.

ProTools is fail though. Vintage AD converters with no computer involvement please.

edit: in case it doesn't come through, I'm joking. I'm sure ProTools in the right hands is transparent, sadly most modern engineers don't treat it that way.

Edited by deepak

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

until you need to autotune :)
"need" and "autotune" should never exist in the same sentence... unless the sentence is "i need to kill that motherfucking, scum-swilling degenerate of an engineer who created autotune"

but seeing as how the damage is already done, where's my razor blades...? it's down the street not across the river, right?

That's probably because the guys who use Macs are actually working rather than wasting time posting.

All I was doing was correcting misstatement by another user that macs are the standard when they are decidedly not so.

I have spent a lot of time looking through gear lists at various studios around the world and I know what they are using, for example I don't believe that there is any DSD mastering software for mac . It does appear that many of those guys do post to Gearslutz but hey instead let's make snide and again baseless statements. Fun Fun.

You want another big player and one that appears to be entirely PC: Pyramix.

Edited by Dreadhead

ow dangole devols in uh bawtol an poosh thim frum tha PULL OF THE (kate?) BUSH

edit: WHAT THE FUCK. so just now I hear my iPhone notify me of an e-mail... pick it up, go to Mail, start reading, and "Suspended in Gaffa" comes on... I didn't have any music playing, and haven't listened to this album in ..... oh at least a couple of months...

All I was doing was correcting misstatement by another user that macs are the standard when they are decidedly not so.

I have spent a lot of time looking through gear lists at various studios around the world and I know what they are using, for example I don't believe that there is any DSD mastering software for mac . It does appear that many of those guys do post to Gearslutz but hey instead let's make snide and again baseless statements. Fun Fun.

You want another big player and one that appears to be entirely PC: Pyramix.

Dude, hardly anyone does DSD, that's a niche market, and hardly a good representation of the industry.

And if you think my statement was an over-reaction, then it's because I made the same mistake you did -- I insufficiently qualified my statement. The way I read it, it sounded like you were saying ProTools was exclusively PC, which it isn't. So I stand by, "incorrect". What annoys me is not the anti-Mac reaction, but the fact that you feel that stating something more loudly makes you moar right -- it doesn't, it just makes you sound moar wrong. I'm sure if my opinion of you went down a notch, others' did, too.

I haven't spent much time looking at gear international studios use, but I can tell you that everywhere I've ever recorded or mastered, they've been using Mac and Protools. It's why I bought one.

Of the popular recording programs, only Cakewalk is not Mac compatible that I know of, and Cakewalk is obviously not a pro solution.

• 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread because as usual I'm confused. I want to play a 24/88.1 file from my iMac to the PerfectWave PWD. However, using optic out from the iMac to the PWD does not give me 88.1 as an option. Only 96, which shows up as the sample rate on the DAC. Does that just mean the maximum rate, or is it mucking around somehow? Note that I can output 88.1 using the USB out. So what gives with the spdif?