Playing High Resolution Audio Files Through a Mac?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. :)

(See user title)

Oh all right. Quit iTunes. Type "audio midi setup" in Spotlight. Open Audio MIDI Setup. Select desired sample rate in the Audio Output dropdown menu. Close Audio MIDI Setup. Open iTunes. Play back your high rez files.

Edited by Hopstretch

In theory, Core Audio (the OS X audio engine) should be cool with anything up to 24/192. In practice, sometimes things get a little weird. :)

And high rez files tend to sound very, very much like the source they were derived from. Ping me when you get home. I have some samples you may enjoy.

Edited by Hopstretch

It can be set on 192 but not for output through the optical, which is capped at 96. This is one of the wonders of Amarra because it handles the changes automatically without going back and forth with AudioMidi

Which in itself would be worth a fair bit to me. I'm sorry that they decided to limit the Mini version at 24/96, though. I know you have to differentiate, but I don't think that was the place to do it.

Protools is Windows...
Incorrect. If you're going to correct someone, at least be correct in your correction. It undermines your overall believability if you start posting falsehoods, whether purposefully or otherwise.

It may not be the "default" operating system, but it has a very real, non-trivial foothold in the pro industry. Much more so than in muggle-land.

My correction was correct. It is in fact not the default. Spend some time on gearslutz and you will see that a large majority of the protools guys use windows.

The fact that protools is available for mac in no

way undermines my believeability. I guess I could have been clearer that it was available for both.

Holy overreaction bat man.