The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

I've recently bought myself some 2SK216 and 2SJ79 from pacific semi. I'm wondering if these are real or counterfeit since it is lacking the round dimple on the front that most genuine devices seem to have. The edge of the plastic casing is also sharp, not smooth. What do you guys think?

5824786502_902514d767_z.jpg

5824786522_b353aeeff6_z.jpg

There was this, but didn't see anything further. I had bought some from there also but never ended up using them out of fear. But they tested identically to known authentic ones I had with my low grade DCA-Pro device (which does some assorted curve tracing).

They are identical except the left and right sides of the face are a sharp square edge but all my bdent ones are rounded slightly. And (if I recall correctly), the depression in the centre is missing.

And yes, they come shipped in the bag shown (but well-packed). Bdent used bags as well.

i bought 2 orders of 2sk216/2sj79 from pacific semi. the first order came in the clear bag shown and i went nuts on them

the real ones i got from china came in a padded envelope (clear bubble wrap) in anti-static tubes that were open on the ends

Edited by justin

i bought 2 orders of 2sk216/2sj79 from pacific semi. the first order came in the clear bag shown and i went nuts on them

the real ones i got from china came in a padded envelope (clear bubble wrap) in anti-static tubes that were open on the ends

Were your pacific-semi ones real at least?

ebay seller just contacted me and said the additional 250pcs i bought about 2 weeks ago won't be shipping today (i had been told today) because they can't get the parts. the ones that were listed for sale on ebay...

so i asked if this means they'll be taking down their ebay listing :)

this is how all of the sellers seem to operate, they wait till there's a sale then go to their 'supplier'

ended up filing a chargeback for the above sale of about $1100. they said they wouldnt refund me until i left positive feedback :palm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pair-or-2PCS-Transistor-HITACHI-TO-220-2SJ79-2SK216-J79-K216-/400614226137?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4677f8d9

this is the listing, except they dont actually have the items. you buy them, they go out and get them from the 'supplier'. except the 'supplier' ran out of real parts. about 10% of the real 2SJ79 i tested were bad, potentially due to the poor anti-static packaging job

Edited by justin

the remaining sellers all have very small quantities and are selling them for more than existing north american sources. and the sunelectric seller is showing a fake part, though it may just be a generic to-220 in the photo. which means they probably dont actually have the parts which seems to be a trend with the chinese sellers. 2sk216/2sj79 actually seem to turn up pretty easily, the 2sc3675 sold by utsource seem to be real and there are alternative sources for a high voltage NPN, the 2sa1486 is still in production plus has multiple in production SMD equivalents, 2sk170/2sj74 single jfets...there are the linear parts (p-ch coming) and they are still easily available if you're willing to pay a premium. which, for me, basically leaves these parts as unobtainable:

* 2sa1968 900v pnp

* any toshiba matched pair jfet/bjt package (except Linear Systems replacement for 2sk389)

Edited by justin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Andy & Stax Mafia, I am now a proud owner of the T2.  Absolutely love the sound.  The T2 + SR009 produce effortless magical sound that is second to none from my experience.

BTW, found the original T2 earlier on YHJ.  I didn't think it will get that high, but it did sell for over 1,600,000 yen (15.5K).  Wow!!  Notice the bidding war at around 800,000 yen then it jumped to 1,600,000.  Even still, the winner went higher at 1,611,000 yen.

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k172471947

So here are the facts, that SRM-T2 will die just like all the other ones and there are no spare parts and no way to fix it.  There are quite a few dead T2's out there... 

It's performance is in no way comparable to the DIY version, I'd take a Blue Hawaii over a stock T2 in a heartbeat.  That hum drove me mad, it gets silly hot and the input switching is very annoying. 

So for roughly 17K$ (this was through Kubo so there are fees on top of the sale price) it's a pretty crap deal.