The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

Yep, 19 board sets and 19 chassis sets. Actually its 20 of each, but one heatsink got damaged.

There is a chassis set for every board set. If the people that bought boards decide not to buy

the chassis, then i'm going to have spare chassis sets. I should have 3 more chassis sets

ready to ship in the next month. I'm doing it a bit slow because i'm already invested to the

tune of $13k and don't really want it to go any higher because i have the kgsshv board set

comming up soon. Even with the replacement heatsinks someone is going to have to

do mounting bars, and front and back, and possibly modified top and bottom panels.

Still its a bunch of work.

Also have to come up with an easy to do chassis for the kgsshv.

OK - just done the tube sockets from DIY HiFi Supply. $7 discount for more than $100, then a very reasonable $7 shipping charge across the pond.

Punished massively by PayPay who did a $1.416 exchange rate. The UKP is worth diddly squat; great for exporters and seriously bad news for importers :(

OK - just done the tube sockets from DIY HiFi Supply. $7 discount for more than $100, then a very reasonable $7 shipping charge across the pond.

Punished massively by PayPay who did a $1.416 exchange rate. The UKP is worth diddly squat; great for exporters and seriously bad news for importers :(

How much you reckon you'll have in parts when you're all in, excluding tubes.

Orders on all components to stuff boards, including most of the hardware, external connectors, DACT attenuator, boards from Kevin - UKP1,150. To that has to be added the transformers and the casework. I already have plenty 6DJ8's (Mullard etc), but I'll need some 6CA7's.

The parts will almost certainly be cheaper in real terms in the US. We not only get hit for import duty (ie VAT at 17.5% on parts plus shipping cost) but a so-called "clearance fee" of between

Just looked back, and Kevin's estimate for parts on 09/05/09 was $1500 including mil spec connectors - which is very close to what it cost me at current exchange rate, except my figure of UKP1,150 *included* the boards, and the DACT attenuator. Kevins number did not include either the boards or the attenuator. So the parts cost actually looks pretty good.

He also estimated $250 for the SumR transformers, plus casework.

Kevin - Does your casework kit contain the Teflon Stax connectors, and the attenuator/board fixing bracket?

craig asked that i publish the info on the transformers, should you decide to have them made elsewhere...

high voltage transformer 2 are needed

diameter 3.5 inches height 1.7 inches you can actually go up to 2.5 inches high, and slightly wider

full load voltage---- regulation--- Iac--- off load

475 --- 15.04 --- .13 --- 546.4

285 --- 10.53 --- .06 --- 315

75 --- 10.6 --- .06 --- 82.9

filament transformer

diameter 3.5 height 1.6

30 --- 13 --- .5 --- 33.9 Center tapped

6.3 --- 14.29 --- 1.5 --- 7.2

6.3 --- 14.29 --- 1.5 --- 7.2

6.3 --- 14.29 --- 4.0 --- 7.2

6.3 --- 14.29 --- 4.0 --- 7.2

Edited by kevin gilmore

I should have 3 more chassis sets ready to ship in the next month. I'm doing it a bit slow because i'm already invested to the tune of $13k and don't really want it to go any higher because i have the kgsshv board set comming up soon.

Ready for the chassis as soon as you're ready to ship, Kevin, (although I would appreciate getting the whole 'kit' with Stax jacks and KaNOBB in one shipment for the reasons Craig cites above). Happy to pay any time, just let me know the total. As far as I'm concerned the countless hours you have invested in this project for the benefit of the group puts us in your debt, I really don't see why you should front us working capital too!

BTW, thanks for the heads up on EU parts sources Craig, I am currently sitting waiting for several of those Mouser backorders so I might see if I can cancel and reorder. Thanks also for the heads-up on PTS; would be happy to do a group buy on the screws if you're interested as I have no other use for imperial parts so don't really want to order 50 of everything.

Comes with stax connectors. the attenuator piece of metal will be included for those who need it once i make it.

Which is after a bunch more of the stax connectors with the 6th pin added, and the knobs.

Count me in for the 6-pin sockets. I'll run initially through low bias lambdas (with zeners chosen appropriately) until the moneybox has recovered enough to buy Omegas.

Agree totally with Struts - without you, big guy, we wouldn't have the option of having all this good fun!

Looking for sources of wire for connecting up the T2, making umbilicals etc. I checked the eBay seller that Kevin (I believe) used, and they explicity don't export - ex military they say, hence export restrictions.

However, a bit of detective work comes up with eBay seller www.johnswireshop.com , which links directly to the eBay shop. Gets a good write-up with UK audio folks for silver plated copper, Teflon covered multistrand wires, and has enough colours and guages to do the wiring without problems. General price is about four bucks for 25 feet.

I'll let you know when it arrives, and what it looks like.

However, a bit of detective work comes up with eBay seller www.johnswireshop.com , which links directly to the eBay shop. Gets a good write-up with UK audio folks for silver plated copper, Teflon covered multistrand wires, and has enough colours and guages to do the wiring without problems. General price is about four bucks for 25 feet.

I'll let you know when it arrives, and what it looks like.

Just double check that it is rated for the high voltage......

I found an even better place for wire, i have the link at home.

I think this is it.

http://www.bulkwire.com/wire-cable/ptfe-high-temperature-stranded-wire.html

One other thing, if you contact the ebay seller and ask him for a special 10 color package, he

will do it for you.

You really do want teflon insulated wire rated at 600 volts.

So the measured distance between the transformers is exactly 3.75 inch which is a tad over 97mm

If you use the hole .5 inches in front for the center transformer, its 3.95 inches. But that might

be too close to the board, will look later.

Edited by kevin gilmore

I think that will work for me Kevin, since I have the longer heat sinks. This are the standard diameters that Plitron will offer, hence the question.

Careful with Plitron, Marc. If I remember right they aren't exactly known for putting out the rated voltage under load. I think Justin used to have to dance around quite a bit and overspec them in order to get the desired voltage. That's not a game that I would want to play.