Apple Tablet

I have some new thoughts about the tablet and the general "philosophy" that Apple appears to be espousing. I bought a Verizon Droid device yesterday for various annoying reasons. The device is fine. Some very nice features, and relatively well thought out. And as a phone, it makes the ATT/iPhone combo seem like using a tin can with string (which I think actually may be the case).

Anyway, despite these niceties of the Droid device, I find myself interacting with its "innards" more than I want to. Put another way, the workings of the phone's OS and its idiosyncrasies are readily apparent. And while there is a level of customization possible as a result, I just don't give a shit. Give me something that works out of the box--intuitively. Maybe it's my old age and general crankiness, but I want the device to work for me not vice-versa. There are two mobile devices that I truly love (in a device love kind of way): the good Blackberries and the iPhone. So once iPhone comes to Verizon, I will be switching to that for personal use. And once my Company gets its head on straight I will use a blackberry for bidness.

And this is all a long-winded way of saying that the lack of the whiz-bang on the tablet no longer seems so awful to me. I need to keep it simple because I am stupid.

I'll add to Mr. Monkey's musings...

Initially I was pretty excited for the pad, as a content consumption device. However, the more I have thought about it, considered its use and abilities I'm almost certainly going to wait to see how the HTML5/Flash battle goes. A big chunk of what I'd want to do with the pad is to use it as a small TV essentially via sources like Hulu and downloaded content. It's unclear to me how Apple will either replicate this ability since it won't support Hulu to start with or how I'd easily be able to view content I download. I don't want to have to transcode and sync everything I download and it clearly isn't going to allow me to download a zipped movie file directly onto it and unzip and watch it. That's kind of a big suck for me.

The ipad will definitely be a "client" kind of device, in a client/server world. The html5 vs flash issues will, imho, go away pretty quickly. I'd imagine we'll see all kinds of home ipad media server applications pop up, much like we got the various iphone music server applications when the ipod touch and iphone came out and were limited to web only. And as time goes on, I think the native application base will grow exponentially. But then, I'm beyond sold on the concept, and as soon as it's announced, I think I'm getting the 32gb one preordered.

I'll add to Mr. Monkey's musings...

Initially I was pretty excited for the pad, as a content consumption device. However, the more I have thought about it, considered its use and abilities I'm almost certainly going to wait to see how the HTML5/Flash battle goes. A big chunk of what I'd want to do with the pad is to use it as a small TV essentially via sources like Hulu and downloaded content. It's unclear to me how Apple will either replicate this ability since it won't support Hulu to start with or how I'd easily be able to view content I download. I don't want to have to transcode and sync everything I download and it clearly isn't going to allow me to download a zipped movie file directly onto it and unzip and watch it. That's kind of a big suck for me.

You just described the only things standing in my way of dumping my MacbookPro for an iPad + Mac Mini. If Apple can address the Flash/HTML5 and downloaded content issues I'll be placing a pre-order/waiting in line at my local Apple store for a 64 GB 3G iPad.

I'm sure I'll eventually pick up an iPad even if Apple hasn't addressed these issues. I just won't be in a hurry to get one and I would most likely opt for the 16/32 GB model instead.

I couldn't agree with you more, Monkey! As a student or young single guy, it was fun to toy around with settings and customizing to the nth degree, and having it do anything and everything. But as a middle aged guy w/ a wife, two young kids, and a busy job, I want it to do what it does really well, without a fuss, and definitely without having to read an owner's manual. In fact, if I ever have to read any directions to use a gadget any more, it infuriates me!

I think most people feel this way, other than maybe the 2 percent on the right side of the curve. And those people will find a way to change things the way they want, anyway! The only criticism I'd give to Apple on this is that they could affort to fight those 2 percenters a bit less, as long as it doesn't infringe on copyrights and such.

I have some new thoughts about the tablet and the general "philosophy" that Apple appears to be espousing. I bought a Verizon Droid device yesterday for various annoying reasons. The device is fine. Some very nice features, and relatively well thought out. And as a phone, it makes the ATT/iPhone combo seem like using a tin can with string (which I think actually may be the case).

Anyway, despite these niceties of the Droid device, I find myself interacting with its "innards" more than I want to. Put another way, the workings of the phone's OS and its idiosyncrasies are readily apparent. And while there is a level of customization possible as a result, I just don't give a shit. Give me something that works out of the box--intuitively. Maybe it's my old age and general crankiness, but I want the device to work for me not vice-versa. There are two mobile devices that I truly love (in a device love kind of way): the good Blackberries and the iPhone. So once iPhone comes to Verizon, I will be switching to that for personal use. And once my Company gets its head on straight I will use a blackberry for bidness.

And this is all a long-winded way of saying that the lack of the whiz-bang on the tablet no longer seems so awful to me. I need to keep it simple because I am stupid.

I think I have joined you Dinny. I used to be an inveterate tinkerer both with audio and with all my computers starting with the Timex Sinclair. :eek: Now I just want things to just work so I can do what I need to and what I want to.

The ipad will definitely be a "client" kind of device, in a client/server world. The html5 vs flash issues will, imho, go away pretty quickly. I'd imagine we'll see all kinds of home ipad media server applications pop up, much like we got the various iphone music server applications when the ipod touch and iphone came out and were limited to web only. And as time goes on, I think the native application base will grow exponentially. But then, I'm beyond sold on the concept, and as soon as it's announced, I think I'm getting the 32gb one preordered.

I agree with this totally and this is why I want an ipad. I want easy access to all my programs and files from anywhere at anytime. This includes work files and applications as well as all of my music. I also want it on a device that justs works and doesn't require constant tweaking. I'm not sure if the ipad will be there out of the box but I am pretty confident that it will be there pretty soon afterwards.

X3 on Grawk's client/server concept. I really look forward to not carrying around my laptop all day everywhere I go, because I will access it via the iPad. I will access pretty sophisticated software in the clouds via its web access , where I will eventually have access to all my patient records at any time, in any place. The electronic health records company I am considering said they are watching the Apple/Flash issue, because they do use Flash for their interface; but they already said if those companies can't work out their differences, then they will just write an iPad program. It will be my primary organizational device (calendar, contacts, notes), which will sync to my main office's computer so that others can access that information while I'm out.

TV, games, music, that's all icing to me. Nice icing, no doubt, but icing nonetheless.

I think I have joined you Dinny. I used to be an inveterate tinkerer both with audio and with all my computers starting with the Timex Sinclair. :eek: Now I just want things to just work so I can do what I need to and what I want to.
Cheers to those of us who started on Timex Sinclairs! Even prepped us for near virtual keyboards. ;)

Timex Sinclair 1000 computer

ts1000.jpg

To be honest, except for some early models I had as a kid, the iPhone has been my favorite computer. Maybe that's why I'm so excited about the direction the iPad and Chrome OS tablets point.

Edited by blessingx

"They" say pre-orders this Thursday... we'll see. I'm torn on the 16GB vs. 32GB. I can't see this replacing my iPhone for music playback... the iPhone is more portable. But for video use yes... but I'm not sure I would need more than 16GB. But the possible 3G radio seems compelling. So 16GB + 3G or 32GB without 3G.........