Apple Tablet

Who do trust to have better ability to protect your data, some integral Windows firewall or a server farm that has a vested interest in keeping your data secure? I'd wager my home computer is 10x more vulnerable than most cloud setups so unless you're keeping your data on a dark network you're kidding yourself thinking it's "safe".

I mean I limit the amount I spread my information around as much as possible. Server farms make a more attractive target to me to harvest data then my PC, if I had data I wanted to remain secure I would keep it on external storage and never connect it to a computer that was accessing a network making sure to clean up any temporary storage as much as possible (ramdisk helps). The external storage would be kept protected like I keep all my important documents. I honestly do trust myself to protect my data more then a business. Its a sad world to me when some encryption is made illegal just because its too hard to break IMO.

Apple did everything right here from a hardware perspective to me except for IO options, I'm impressed that Microsoft doesn't catch on more. A SSD with an optimized OS and processor and 1GB RAM is a killer machine to fit in a small package. People complain so much about CPU speed of netbooks. 1.6Ghz with a decent chipset and cache is fast enough that unless your doing encoding or really serious decoding, maybe some extreme flash video or gaming, its rarely the bottleneck IMO.

I really like that article. But, argh, fuck me to be an old world generation X ultimately doomed computer enthusiast. The very definition of a computer points that any computer can do the work of another given enough time and the instructions. I never thought the future of computers would be to limit it to make it easier or easier to keep stable, but it makes sense that the general user would rather do more general tasks with less even if that means sacrifices overall.

I also really like his suggestions on how it could improve.

Is there enough demand for the price to come down quickly? Reading that article above it didn't sound like the eBook market is that large (I guess the market is expected to grow).

Edit: I realize with the Nook, Kindle, iPhone Apps and now iPad the players in the market expect the demand to go up. I've never used an eBook reader because I hate reading large documents on a laptop screen so the thought of reading a whole book on a screan doesn't appeal to me. I plan on buying an iPad but bot for the eBook reading possibilities. I guess I'll give it shot though.

Apple has competing imperatives here. They make their money selling devices, so they're usually in the biz of driving content prices down, as that makes the devices more attractive. With the iPad, though, the first order of business is to get as much content onto it as possible, hence you see them actually helping the providers fatten their margins here. As soon as the platform is fully established, that worm will turn.