The analog thread.

Hopstretch

the ZYXs is fuller and the Denon is thinner but slightly faster, this may be due to the silver coils in the ZYX. I may be going full hog on the Denon, I am looking at the matching SUT for it.

The cart that was the sleeper was the re-tipped clearaudio. I got barraged with emails after placing it on audiogon.

the ZYXs is fuller and the Denon is thinner but slightly faster, this may be due to the silver coils in the ZYX. I may be going full hog on the Denon, I am looking at the matching SUT for it.

The cart that was the sleeper was the re-tipped clearaudio. I got barraged with emails after placing it on audiogon.

What did you finally get the DL-S1 for? That and the 103R at $379, are currently on my radar.

I scoured the web and I found the DL-S1 on audio asylum for $500

looks like the clearaudio is sold, the DL160 has an offer I am waiting to hear back on the ZYX has a guy in Europe with a buddy in the states that I could ship to (these types of transactions alway make me nervous) and the Denon 103 has few nibbles so hopefully I can afford the SUT in the next few days.

Isn't the Zu 103 basically a DL-103 with a wooden shell? Does the wood shell make that much of a difference? I wonder how it would stack up against a DL-103R or a DL-S1.

Started down that (slippery) road which then led to the Soundsmith 103 Ruby then 103 Silver, that's when I ran away. :confused:

The Zu is an aluminium shell (I think) and they test the cart for L/R output and sell/price them accordingly. I really like the Zu folks but think Peter Lederman of Sound-Smith may be the better way to go.

The Soundsmith Denons get real spendy real fast. You start to get into some pretty nice alternatives at those price points.

Soundsmith / Denon

This thread made me buy a (second, had one before) denon 103.

I cant wait to get it broken in, and modified like my old one.

I wonder if it will sound good on the arm on my harris idler (Micro-Trak 303a) I think its worth a shot.

any thoughts on the following turntable?

Sony PS- LX350H

I would pass on this one.

knowing absolutely nothing about it, it looks like a farly average consumer grade piece of gear.

Unless its reallllllly cheap you can do better elsewhere. Keep an eye on craigslist & goodwill type shopes for older stuff.

Edited by nikongod

Boredom struck.

adsc_0006.jpg?t=1262149677

rest of album

That cartridge has had a long life.

It started as a "red." I got it with a Rega Planar 2 a long time ago, and replaced the stylus with a green stylus.

Then I did the "longhorn" mod (this is why there is a thin line of glue across the top of grado in the pics)

part of the longhorn mod is injecting silicon oil into the coils, which I may have overdone. I peeled off the little metal cover thingy over the coils and here it sits.

If I ever buy another new to me grado, the coils are getting potted, or at least varnished together.

Edited by nikongod

Ari, you are a mad scientist!

Oh I forgot to mention this earlier but for those that are considering a Zu modded 103 please buy direct and not from Bill Feil (audiofeil international on audiogon). It's ok by the way as he told me after a funny email exchange that he does not want my business or the business of anyone I know.

Ari, you are a mad scientist!

Oh I forgot to mention this earlier but for those that are considering a Zu modded 103 please buy direct and not from Bill Feil (audiofeil international on audiogon). It's ok by the way as he told me after a funny email exchange that he does not want my business or the business of anyone I know.

I'm pretty sure i got the same email a year or so ago, and I have no problem granting his wishes.

Tom that is weird I figured I caught him on a bad day or something

He emailed me trying to push some of his products on me over something (he doesnt sell) I had asked about on Agon. I said no thanks and then he emailed about how most of the recommendations I had got in the thread were no good and he could hook me up with much better. Anyway I called him out on it in the thread and he emailed me letting me know to shop somewhere else. Which i had planned already. Maybe we both caught him on the same day. Maybe its because I was going to get something from Audio revelation, I think they are mortal audio enemies.

been really enjoying the records, hope i didnt get to off the wall with the CDs i sent.

Maybe its because I was going to get something from Audio revelation, I think they are mortal audio enemies.

Yeah, it's pretty funny. One of them will advertise some piece they carry, say a tonearm, on Audiogon and the other will immediately list whatever they have that is the direct competition at the price point. So the ads almost always appear right after each other. :D

Not sure who is dogging who, but Jay at AR has been nothing but helpful and nice to me when I've asked him about his lines, which is definitely more than is being said here of Mr. Fail. Sorry, Feil.