The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Does anyone have any particular feelings towards 12" tonearms?

My Grado arm has never been totally operational, so I'm looking to upgrade to something more modern. I've been eying the Thomas Schick arm (SPU comparability would be nice), but the value of the dollar:euro has made it less appealing. Under $1k would be nice. The newish Jelco arm and the Scheu Classic are the only ones I know of that fit the bill. 9" arm recommendations would be much appreciated, as well.

12" arms are usually very pricey, and there is no consensus that they give audible benefit due to lower tracking distortion.

How about an SME 309? Very good arm, and can be found used on Agon for around $1k when they pop up. Just give it a better output cable and you are ready to rock!

How often do they hit the used market? That will probably be my next arm.

What about Moerch as a cheaper alternative?

Very seldom, I believe. I've only seen 1-2 in the last 6 months or so. Someone on another site mentioned that people who buy one seem to hold onto it. Honestly, I've thought about saving up a little bit more and biting the bullet, but then I remember I still need to flesh out the rest of the analog setup.

Any idea how expensive a replacement Moerch armwand is?

Does anyone have any particular feelings towards 12" tonearms?

My Grado arm has never been totally operational, so I'm looking to upgrade to something more modern. I've been eying the Thomas Schick arm (SPU comparability would be nice), but the value of the dollar:euro has made it less appealing. Under $1k would be nice. The newish Jelco arm and the Scheu Classic are the only ones I know of that fit the bill. 9" arm recommendations would be much appreciated, as well.

One of the British hifi magazines (I think) did some measurements of the SME 9" and 12" tonearms. I lost the link in a hardrive crash, but I remember someone posted the findings with graphs in VinylAsylum a while ago. Searching VA is a nightmare so I wasn't able to find the thread.

Any idea how expensive a replacement Moerch armwand is?

I'm not sure, I used to have a price sheet though. Either Moerch model would be a very solid choice. Are you set on SPU compatibility? If so, the vintage Ortofon arms are worth considering, but out of your price range admittedly. I'm using a SPU mono with a AT 1005 mk2, which is a fantastic arm.

That sucks about the 'Sticks being rare on the market. They're absolutely perfect for what I want (idler / broadcast tables), "short body" SPU support, etc.

I have a custom table, so I could support a proper 16" broadcast arm (the 'Stick is really a 16" arm, but adapted for 12", I'm sure you know that).. in fact, there is a broadcast version of the AT 1005mk2, but they are very hard to find.

Edited by luvdunhill

So after talking to Dan Wright my broken SWLP9.0 SE Signature has to go back.

After some more discussion, I'm not getting it back, but rather this

The LS 36.5 tube linestage :)

Of course this now leaves me with no phono stage....except the NAD PP2 loaner from my buddy.

Need to contemplate what I will get for a phono, probably around $2k price range, used or new.

I hear that there is a nice Pass Pearl available. ;)

Yeah, Hopstretch is selling DigiPete's old Pass Pearl. I had my sights on it, but I still can't afford it, so DigiPete could re-unite with his old phono preamp. But it sounds like he's got his own sights on something higher up.

I'm not sure, I used to have a price sheet though. Either Moerch model would be a very solid choice. Are you set on SPU compatibility? If so, the vintage Ortofon arms are worth considering, but out of your price range admittedly. I'm using a SPU mono with a AT 1005 mk2, which is a fantastic arm.

Part of my desire in upgrading my deck (a TD-124, BTW) is to maintain a degree of "vintageness" in its appearance. Hence, part of my interest in the Schick arm and SPUs. The Moerchs definitely fit the looks category. A used UP4 would seem to fall within my price range, but I worry about the wobbliness of a unipivot.

I quess you gave up on the Steelhead?

I really dont want to buy any more used gear, but still tried to get the last one on Agon at his asking price, then he wanted more than his asking price????

I cant afford a new Manley at $7500.00, so yes I guess i have given up. The BAT is working out pretty good, got 5 years warranty, I'm happy.

I really dont want to buy any more used gear, but still tried to get the last one on Agon at his asking price, then he wanted more than his asking price????

I cant afford a new Manley at $7500.00, so yes I guess i have given up. The BAT is working out pretty good, got 5 years warranty, I'm happy.

I hate when that happens,I have a vpi scout sitting in the box ,I am going to get my feet wet & get back into vinyl .