The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Ah, nice to see someone who is smart and very discerning. Yes, the black Mk2 pads in the photo are obviously glorious genuine leather, no need to point it out. :D

There is no debate, at least not in the animal kingdom. Mk2 = real leather, Mk1 = not real leather.

Oooh, you even swapped out the foam! You... you... you Thor, you!

I say we shouldn't make posts about headphones based on memory. As everyone knows, memory is a variable thing and unreliable. Please only post impressions about a headphone if you're actually listening to it at the time.

OK, maybe if you heard it yesterday it's OK too. A week ago or even three weeks ago might also be good enough. But how long do we go? How long is too long? Three months? A year? How about someone hearing an SR-Omega 10 years ago, are his impressions still credible?

:indra::P

Hi elephas, I agree with you that memory may not serve to give a definitive description of the sound or a suitable comparison to something you are listening to now, but surely if you compare two different products together (as Spritzer appears to have done) and one sounds "better" than the other at that time, you will surely remember that (even though after a while you might not rememebr exactly why).

Hi elephas, I agree with you that memory may not serve to give a definitive description of the sound or a suitable comparison to something you are listening to now, but surely if you compare two different products together (as Spritzer appears to have done) and one sounds "better" than the other at that time, you will surely remember that (even though after a while you might not rememebr exactly why).

I don't know about that man. My brain gets like adjusted and burned and acclimated and stuffs. Things that did not sound as good previously sometimes sound much better after I take a break from other phones.

I say we shouldn't make posts about headphones based on memory. As everyone knows, memory is a variable thing and unreliable. Please only post impressions about a headphone if you're actually listening to it at the time.

OK, maybe if you heard it yesterday it's OK too. A week ago or even three weeks ago might also be good enough. But how long do we go? How long is too long? Three months? A year? How about someone hearing an SR-Omega 10 years ago, are his impressions still credible?

Are you forcing me to break out Mj

I don't know about that man. My brain gets like adjusted and burned and acclimated and stuffs. Things that did not sound as good previously sometimes sound much better after I take a break from other phones.

I agree with you about that, what I am saying is this: if you listen to something once, then you stop for a bit and time passes, then you go back to it it may sound better because you have no other reference point at that moment in time.

If I listen to one thing and then, after a long while, I listen to something else, I agree totally that your memory cannot really help in comparing one to the other.

if, on the other hand, you compare two headphones at the same time and at that time you realise that one is better than the other (or you prefer it, whatever) you will not likely forget this over time.

Spritzer posted a comparison between two headphones which at the time he compared them together made him choose the O2s over the 007 mk2s. He may not remember why one sounded better (although he does) but he remembered which he prefered.

I'm saying that this is reasonable use of memory.

Do I make sense or am I just spouting off again? :palm:

Valves need to warm up like everything else but that only takes a few minutes at most (a minute is more like it as they have a built in filament) so that's not an issue. Many amps are hybrids though so it's the SS components which will take longer to warm up.

Tubes will last for thousands of hours in headphone amps so there is no need to worry about them being optimal or not. The amps may need to be biased from time to time as the tubes age but that's about it.

Valves need to warm up like everything else but that only takes a few minutes at most (a minute is more like it as they have a built in filament) so that's not an issue. Many amps are hybrids though so it's the SS components which will take longer to warm up.

Tubes will last for thousands of hours in headphone amps so there is no need to worry about them being optimal or not. The amps may need to be biased from time to time as the tubes age but that's about it.

Ok so how does someone bias them? (say on the KGBH?) also how about replacing them? another thing I hear is that different brands of valves change the sound, how easy is it to buy replacement valves of high quality?

Ok so how does someone bias them? (say on the KGBH?) also how about replacing them? another thing I hear is that different brands of valves change the sound, how easy is it to buy replacement valves of high quality?

There are biasing controls in the amps. I had to buy a multimeter after I got a tube amp. Measuring DC V is the only thing I know how to do with it.

The old, out-of-production tubes are usually best. They're not available everywhere, but you can still usually find them. I can't imagine how people found tubes before the Internet was widely available, but I guess there were a lot more of those tubes around then.

There are biasing controls in the amps. I had to buy a multimeter after I got a tube amp. Measuring DC V is the only thing I know how to do with it.

The old, out-of-production tubes are usually best. They're not available everywhere, but you can still usually find them. I can't imagine how people found tubes before the Internet was widely available, but I guess there were a lot more of those tubes around then.

this is one of the things i worry about with valves, I dont even know hot to measure DC V (ok maybe i do a bit LOL) but thats about it. the idea of buying something and then having to tweak it (knowing what i am like) worries me :eek:. This is why i prefer the SS way. as far as i know, if it aint broke, there is no need to touch anything!

How do the biasing controls work? like are the simple to use or do I need separate equipment? to give you an idea I saw instructions on Conrad Johnson site that said u turn a screw til a red LED goes "just on" and thats it. is the KGBH that easy to bias or do I need to have various metres to do it?

How do the biasing controls work? like are the simple to use or do I need separate equipment? to give you an idea I saw instructions on Conrad Johnson site that said u turn a screw til a red LED goes "just on" and thats it. is the KGBH that easy to bias or do I need to have various metres to do it?

The BHSE requires the use of a separate multi-meter, but the adjustment is as simple as turning a screw and if you can plug in the power cord you should be able to handle the biasing.

The BHSE requires the use of a separate multi-meter, but the adjustment is as simple as turning a screw and if you can plug in the power cord you should be able to handle the biasing.

LOL thanks for the imput, so basically provided I buy some back-up valves with the amp (if that is possible from headamp) I may even go the valve route. now abut those O2 s I can't find anywhere..... ;)

T1 instructions for biasing can be found here:

Biasing Stax SRM-T1? - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

You bias the amp by plugging the multimeter probes into the Stax sockets and adjust for as little DC voltage as possible.

Wikipedia to the rescue! [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir]Mj

What about if we took notes?
I have a huge head ...