The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Seconded.Headamp is your best choice, if you know nothing about DIY and don't want to have to worry about quality control. I'm pretty sure there isn't any commercial alternative, although you could always commission someone to build it, but then you have to worry about quality control, hence the earlier statement.

And: forever is a long time, I'll settle for a couple seconds.

LOL trust me, I have been out of ths game for a long time and I really do appreciae the info. Posted at a "similar" forum to this and NO ONE bothered to even answer, but i do guess people are busy and frankly they owe me nothing.!

I really wish i had the inclination to learn more about the DIY aspects of electronics but frankly its all magic to me!

I will definitely be contacting Justin, actually I already have sent him an e-mail!

Anyone know anything about changing the mains leads to decent stuff like nordost etc? is this a worthwhile step? what does changing the lead actually do? is it also worth getting mains "cleaners" or whatever they are called? last time I followed up on this (10 years ago) lots of reviiews said to avoid the mains "cleaner" (or conditioners or whatever they are called).

To think I used to sell top end stuff in London, I sound like a no nothing kid now!!! :confused:

Holy crap Marc, that's one huge r-core!!

:eek: I wish my grandfather looked like that. All that lightning behind him probably influenced you preference for electrostatics. :P

I'm sure being named Thor had something to do with it. :D

kgss is a great starter project. Very darwin.

That's what I started with. :D

Posted at a "similar" forum to this and NO ONE bothered to even answer...
Well, probably because you could learn a lot just by searching the forums, this question is very familiar. I mean, try searching on "best amp" or something. The fact that you didn't know whether or not the ES1 was still being made told me that (a) you had spent enough time searching to discover its existence, but (B) not enough to get the whole story. So try just searching more.

Well, probably because you could learn a lot just by searching the forums, this question is very familiar. I mean, try searching on "best amp" or something. The fact that you didn't know whether or not the ES1 was still being made told me that (a) you had spent enough time searching to discover its existence, but (B) not enough to get the whole story. So try just searching more.

Hi Dusty,

Your right, frankly I'm just splitting hairs now (splitting I said, not spitting! ;)) and I shouldn't be so impatient (I know, I know! :palm:).

So, if the KGSS is a "starter" amp for the 007s, does this mean that people are adapting it to improve or does it mean that they are then going on to the valve amps (KGBH, Woos, HA-02's etc?).

if the 007 mk1 is known as the O2, do I take it that the 007 Mk2 should now be considered a O3????:confused:

No, I was saying the kgss is a great first project for DIYers. You'll end up awesome or dead. Saves a lot of time.

OK I get it, I think I will just buy mine from Justin (providing he has them) and be done with it...... until the valve bug gets me!!!! ;) (mmmmmmm, valves....) LOL personally i prefer SS, but there you go!

No, not really as most of us find it to be inferior to the original SR-007.

So I gather from what I have read. I meant the O3 chronologially speaking though, not in order of greatness.

I have read (espcially from you Spritzer, but also from a great many others) that the mk2 sound "tonally darker". I'm wondering whether Stax is planning a new amp to match them to that contrasts this, who knows:confused:

Personally I'm going to try and see whether I can get my grubby little hands on the mark 1s!

Gentlemen, I'm logging off now as its getting late here, but I wanted to than you all for the great pointers and information you have given me over the past two days, I've learnt more than a weeks worth of surfing and reading elsewhere!

Cheers and good night

So I gather from what I have read. I meant the O3 chronologially speaking though, not in order of greatness.

I have read (espcially from you Spritzer, but also from a great many others) that the mk2 sound "tonally darker". I'm wondering whether Stax is planning a new amp to match them to that contrasts this, who knows:confused:

Personally I'm going to try and see whether I can get my grubby little hands on the mark 1s!

The 007 mk2 is known to most as the 007 mk2.

The mk1 comes up for sale with some frequency.

I used to own a HeadAmp KGSS, which I bought used and sold after getting an Aristaeus. It was my first electrostatic amp.

A local audio shop helped me sell it. I brought it over for prospective buyers to demo, using the shop's Stax headphones and sources, which can be quite good sometimes when they have special loaners from distributors. The KGSS sold after only four days.

With the O2's, I preferred the Aristaeus over the KGSS, and now the ES-1 over the Aristaeus. But the KGSS is an excellent value, and I think it's better than the Stax 007tII or 727 amps.

OMG the O2Mk1 sounds amazing!

Now, I don't use "OMG" lightly. I think it is childish and it is not proper English. :P Other terms such as LOL and OMFGBBQ are even worse. And don't get me started about using "u" in place of "you," for some reason I can't stand it. No, I'm not some grammar or spelling freak, but I can't help it. I blame my 7th grade English teacher.

But today I tried the Sylvania 5751 with triple mica and black plates using the ECC-1 adapters in the ES-1. I had good results with some 5751 tubes in the Aristaeus, and I suspected they would perform similarly well in the ES-1. I think the 5751 has excellent clarity and crispness, great sense of imaging precision and individual note definition, and increases brightness a bit. All these qualities make for great results with the O2Mk1 or O2Mk2. Several 12AX7 types are also very good in their own different ways, especially smoothness and liquidity, but I haven't come across any that match the 5751's strengths.

I can't stop listening. I haven't felt like this since I got my first good headphone. My first well-matched headphone and amp combo. No, it wasn't the K701 + Raptor. ;) The first time I heard the R10. The first time I heard the O2Mk1 + KGSS. There's more, but you get the idea.

I haven't tried the O2Mk2 yet. Why? I can't stop listening. I think these headphones are superglued to my head. Over and out.

my measurements look right on. Now to find someone who is placing a FPE order soon. I don't want to pay another $8 for a 2 sq in. FPE design that already costs >$30 :palm:

Marc,

I have a FPE order going in in the next couple weeks (actually to Cam Expert) and could add something to it if you want.

The SR-007 Mk1 appears dark to some ears but certainly not to mine. The treble is a bit less apparent then most other transducers but then again most transducers have a rather large tilt in the treble.

The SR-007 Mk2/A on the other hand is a bit more forward then the Mk1.

Now, I don't use "OMG" lightly. I think it is childish and it is not proper English. :P Other terms such as LOL and OMFGBBQ are even worse. And don't get me started about using "u" in place of "you," for some reason I can't stand it. No, I'm not some grammar or spelling freak, but I can't help it. I blame my 7th grade English teacher.

But today I tried the Sylvania 5751 with triple mica and black plates using the ECC-1 adapters in the ES-1. I had good results with some 5751 tubes in the Aristaeus, and I suspected they would perform similarly well in the ES-1. I think the 5751 has excellent clarity and crispness, great sense of imaging precision and individual note definition, and increases brightness a bit. All these qualities make for great results with the O2Mk1 or O2Mk2. Several 12AX7 types are also very good in their own different ways, especially smoothness and liquidity, but I haven't come across any that match the 5751's strengths.

I can't stop listening. I haven't felt like this since I got my first good headphone. My first well-matched headphone and amp combo. No, it wasn't the K701 + Raptor. ;) The first time I heard the R10. The first time I heard the O2Mk1 + KGSS. There's more, but you get the idea.

I haven't tried the O2Mk2 yet. Why? I can't stop listening. I think these headphones are superglued to my head. Over and out.

LOL!!! OMG U really lovez teh Omegaz!!! ;)

OMFG!?!!11? LOLz, Dawg! Wa happed to 2 dark fake leathery crap thang? Or did u finally turnz off that Rihana Umbrella (remix) and put on some for realZ muZic? :P

The SR-007 Mk1 appears dark to some ears but certainly not to mine. The treble is a bit less apparent then most other transducers but then again most transducers have a rather large tilt in the treble.

So the O2Mk1 is darker than most other headphones. Which is what I think too.

Wow, the mighty giant hammer-wielding bristly-bearded no-nonsense take-no-prisoners Norse warrior agrees with little ol' baby elephant. OK, it's the other way around, of course I agree and side with the mighty warrior who could squash my trunk between his thumb and pinkie finger.

It may be more forward, but would you say its darker sounding than the mk1? :o

I think the Mk1 and Mk2 are very close. The Mk2 seems slightly darker to me, but it could be its greater bass emphasis.

OMFG!?!!11? LOLz, Dawg! Wa happed to 2 dark fake leathery crap thang? Or did u finally turnz off that Rihana Umbrella (remix) and put on some for realZ muZic? :P

Stop it already, please, I can't take it anymore! Obviously that was OK for me to do once but not by a bunch of other people. :P

Hey, people got tired of my earpad dissertation and no one wanted to read anymore about the earpads. No matter if they are real or fake leather, Mk1 earpads are obviously inferior to the Mk2 earpads. But I have to say the O2Mk1 is feeling very nice and comfortable superglued to my head.

Thanks for reminding me about Rihanna - Umbrella, I had stopped listening to it after 43 times, according to the play count. I'm going to go play it now and wiggle my butt.

Edited by Elephas

Hey, people got tired of my earpad dissertation and no one wanted to read anymore about the earpads. No matter if they are real or fake leather, Mk1 earpads are obviously inferior to the Mk2 earpads. But I have to say the O2Mk1 is feeling very nice and comfortable superglued to my head.

The mk2 pads do fit on the mk1, right?

Here's a photo of the Mk1 with Mk2 earpads installed that I just took.

It didn't take as long as I thought, but I did strain a neck muscle a little bit. The left side is sore now, so I have to go lie down for a few hours. Fortunately I can listen to headphones while lying down.

Hey, you try changing the earpads with a trunk. Spritzer has large manly Thor-sized hands and I have to make do with a piece of floppy nose flesh, it's not fair.

SR007withMk2pads.jpg

Oh, almost forgot, I came back here to say that Rihanna- Umbrella (Remixes) did sound kind of horrible with the O2Mk1. I can't remember why I listened to them so much before.

Edited by Elephas

It does help to have huge hands when changing the Omega pads. :D

It may be more forward, but would you say its darker sounding than the mk1? :o

In stock form the bass is very overpowering so they are darker yet more forward at the same time. Perform the mods and the bass is back under control, the midrange dialed back yet the slight forward slant of the sound remains.

I have to make do with a piece of floppy nose flesh

That's just gross and sooo wrong... I LOLed. :D

But I have to say the O2Mk1 is feeling very nice and comfortable superglued to my head.

Since you have them superglued to your head, I'm sure you won't mind giving me your W11jpn and K1000 then eh? :P

Thanks for reminding me about Rihanna - Umbrella, I had stopped listening to it after 43 times, according to the play count. I'm going to go play it now and wiggle my butt.

Now THAT's a disturbing image... ;D

Eh, who am I to say, I'm dancing to Michael Jackson's songs right now... ZOMG, the Lambda Sigs are sooo ahsome!

Go dig out your SRM-T1W and plug in your airbow sr-sc1 into it, then listen to "The way you make me feel" by MJ and then exclaim ZOMG!

I tell you, MJ was meant to be heard via the Lambda Sig and T1... :o

A little Stax God Birdie told me the SC1 is kinda close to the L. Sig. so you should have similar results with your sc1 and t1W. Dew eet. ;)

In stock form the bass is very overpowering so they are darker yet more forward at the same time. Perform the mods and the bass is back under control, the midrange dialed back yet the slight forward slant of the sound remains.

Really? Aww... that's kinda disappointing to me... Forward is good, but the darker part... :(

**slowly slithers away back into the darkness(brightness)... **

If only the O2(both of 'em) had the brightness of the Signatures. :)