The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Q3: What model "can" in the current Stax lineup would be at least as good as the SR Lambda Pro?

Th current lineup has the SR-404 but I didn't prefer it to the predecessor, the Lambda Nova Signature. But it might still be better than the Lambda Pro.

1$ :D Glad to see you again buddy!

Btw. I asked Tony to take a peek inside his authentic SR-x Mk3 Pro and here is how they are made up inside:

The SR-X Pro have a single layer of mineral wool (single layer, the part with threads is facing outside). There are two nylon meshes covering the mineral wool. The one facing against outside is kept fir by how the cups are mounted. It can't be removed, possibly glued. The other separates the mineral wool from the driver and isn't really "fixed".

The wire coming out of the cable isn't soldered, but is hold very firmly by crimp connectors.

That's pretty much how I built my DIY SR-X PRO's including modding the stock cable by joining the bias wires just above the plug. They do sound better with the ribbon wires though.

The cans have seen a lot of use. They have some strap mechanical problems (which I failed to fix after 3 tries) and are missing some foam. I can get a new strap and foam for maybe $150.

Assuming "strap" refers to the headband...

I've never gotten replacement foam, but I've bought replacement Stax earpads, headbands and also a new SR-Omega plastic headband assembly.

I think $150 for foam and a cloth headband is too high. If this is a price quote from your local Stax dealer, it might be worthwhile to try other options. International shipping for cloth headbands, foam and earpads is not very expensive.

Way too long. :) I did ok as I had liquefied all my stocks and holdings some 6 months before but many people have lost a lot of money, my parents included. I've used the horrible exchange rate to move US$ over here and just bought a car with the profits. ;)

I hope you stripped that car of those worthless dynamic drivers ;D

My newly received Lambda Signature need new mineral wool as they have had the dampening removed (eBay reaming). They do not sound very good that way to me (worse then the Lambda Pro). The foam behind the pads is half disintegrated also, so I'll also have to replace the pads with a pair from audiocubes II. I don't think they have the brown pads like these though, bummer.

Any leads on finding these materials?

Yeah, I also am gonna need mineral wool pads for my SR-Lambda too, so hoping there is a good source. They did ship to me today though, so I should have them in hand by the end of the week. Really enjoying my SR-404 in the meantime, much more than I like my Lambda Pro. The Pros definitely dont have the foam behind the pads, and I dont think the Lambdas do either, though those pads are pretty new, so who knows.

I may be crazy, but I actually like the way the Signatures sound with the 717... :eek:

The T1 also sounds nice, but I like the way the 717 grabs the signatures by the neck and spoon feeds it extra details that the T1 can not bring to the table. Bright? Sizzle? Etch? meh... ;D

I have a T1 and 717, but my Signatures finds itself making sweet, sweet music out of the 717 more often than the T1. :P

Don't get me wrong though, I enjoy them both just as much and can live with either one just fine. ;)