The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I am very satisfied now, and if it would be my main headphone (it isn't) I would go for the 717 at least but really this is fine, Sigmas are more comfortable with adapters than other Staxes as the detail is limited anyway. And at one point I might feel reaching for a slight EQ-ing that isn't there while the signal always goes through this with the Creek so using it doesn't degrade the sound further.

In contrast the SRM-T1 sounded terrible with the Sigmas. Albeit yes an SRM-1 Mk2 should be a bit better and those pairs probably never had a service.

Maybe (much) later on when the nicely built amps appear, I am not in a rush and I am sure I would still miss the tweaking a little with the EQ (although when I finally switch to PC there will be new options). And yes of course that XLR connection on the DAC is going to be used later on, but I have a slight noise issue with it (very likely one connector is a bit iffy) which will need fixing later (RCA is dead quiet so I don't care now).

These are very nice as it is and I looked it up on that document, they were serviced in 2009.

I was planing on having them converted but I am definitely off from it now, these are way too good sounding on their own so I guess it has a full service at some point and the damping seems to be in nice shape as well and the pads are almost new.

If these would have more extension they would be almost flawless but you can't have everything, they are great for what they are, "tiny" electrostatic speakers near the ears :-) And my friend told me the Sigma 404 has a honky quality to the upper midrange so might have a bit more extension but the overall sound is not as nice.

You might want to listen to the Sigma/404s. There is no honkiness in the upper midrange that I have ever heard. In my opinion, the 404 upgrade was ALL good and without any drawbacks (less of the upper bass hump, more low bass, less treble roll off and retained the magic mids that do piano and voice so well). They are a very addictive phone. The SRD-7 -> Pro is what I use and they sound great. The SRM-Monitor also sounds very nice, but can't hammer the phones like the Studer A68 or the Audio Research VT130 through the SRD-7.

It would be surely nice to compare but I like it as it is.

By the way, do these newly constructed drivers like in the 507 fit in the shells the same way?

On poorly recorded/mastered recordings where my favourite overall phones (HD250II) kill me with the highs I can just enjoy the sound of the Sigmas, so they are just fine for what they are in this form. If I want I just EQ it a little, it doesn't seem to work in a natural way with my other phones but it does here.

And yes the two previous pairs I had definitely had more bass than this or I had very bad synergy at that time (probably both). If only it had firmer imaging but there is no point in complaining instead of just listening to the music.

It would be surely nice to compare but I like it as it is.

By the way, do these newly constructed drivers like in the 507 fit in the shells the same way?

On poorly recorded/mastered recordings where my favourite overall phones (HD250II) kill me with the highs I can just enjoy the sound of the Sigmas, so they are just fine for what they are in this form. If I want I just EQ it a little, it doesn't seem to work in a natural way with my other phones but it does here.

And yes the two previous pairs I had definitely had more bass than this or I had very bad synergy at that time (probably both). If only it had firmer imaging but there is no point in complaining instead of just listening to the music.

According to Spritzer's dissection of the 507s, the new drivers are not glued together then attached to the base plate with double sided tape. They are compression fitted together by screw tension applied to a housing box. There is nothing to screw the housing into on the standard Sigma base plate, although transplanting a 507 base plate and housing/driver sounds workable if the new base plate if the same size. I guess by then, the cost is starting to get close to $2000 ($900 for the 507, $800 - 900 for the Sigma), and you are in O2 territory.

Edited by John Buchanan

Has someone here looked into the buzzing sound of the SRM1 Mk2 (or how to get rid of it) yet? I mean that very quiet and high noise it makes once turned on, sounds like harmonics from the power line 50hz (nothing on the phones, the sound is coming out of the case). Not a big deal - once you turn up the music you won't notice anyway - but it would be nice to have the amp totally silent...

Mine is on 240V and as far as I can remember his is too. We do live in the same town, however different houses. I checked with his amp just an hour ago and it does buzz a little (in addition to a 50Hz hum, which mine does not have. I'll see if I can find out from wich parts the sound comes tomorrow.

I'm tempted by the 507, but the descriptions of a bright character worry me. I have the Basic system (2050 II) and really enjoy it, and would like to move up the line. Wouldn't want to lose the equable nature of the 202/252 though, and I can't stand forward/aggressive highs. Wondering if the 404s might do the trick.

best,

k

The 507 is far better then a stock 404 and the brightness is something all Lambdas have to some extent. Whether the 407 might be the best buy of the bunch is something we'll have to see about. If it is just the 507 with less fancy building blocks then it is going to be a winner.

^^^

Thanks very much for the info -- just read up a bit on the new models and think I'm going to try for a 407, likely with a 323A, given my budget. Looks like there may still be a wait for these (Bluetin says a short wait) so hopefully before Xmas. Even the 202s are pretty great with the music I tend to listen to. Wish I'd jumped into Stax a long time ago.

thanks again and best,

k

Here are my impressions of the 307, 407, and 507

If you want the short version I bought the 507.

Long version

Take my impressions with a grain of salt as it was in a not totally quiet place. I went to my favorite Stax dealer here in Japan. I listened through a srm-600 and a srm-006TS, as well as a little on a 323s. I hated the 307 immediately, it sounded like a 404 and 303. In other words etch. The 407 and 507 were very close. Both sounded great with no etch at all. I felt there was more bass from the 507 also it felt a bit more detailed in transient notes. I would say if you are tight on money don't feel bad about the 407. It really is the best bang for the buck lambda and the sound quality is very similar to the 507. I have a small head ( I usually wore the old head band assembly as small as it would go) and the 507 feels great. My setting is 2 clicks above the smallest setting on the 507.

Compared to the SC1 and LNS the 507 beats them both.

Well time to get back to my 507s...

Here are my impressions of the 307, 407, and 507

If you want the short version I bought the 507.

Long version

Take my impressions with a grain of salt as it was in a not totally quiet place. I went to my favorite Stax dealer here in Japan. I listened through a srm-600 and a srm-006TS, as well as a little on a 323s. I hated the 307 immediately, it sounded like a 404 and 303. In other words etch. The 407 and 507 were very close. Both sounded great with no etch at all. I felt there was more bass from the 507 also it felt a bit more detailed in transient notes. I would say if you are tight on money don't feel bad about the 407. It really is the best bang for the buck lambda and the sound quality is very similar to the 507. I have a small head ( I usually wore the old head band assembly as small as it would go) and the 507 feels great. My setting is 2 clicks above the smallest setting on the 507.

Compared to the SC1 and LNS the 507 beats them both.

Well time to get back to my 507s...

Thanks for the impressions. Were all three amps acceptable sounding with the 407 and 507? Which did you prefer?