The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Dear Stax Mafioso, I'm just looking for your opinions.

Recently there is a growing consensus in my local circle that the Stax, particularly the Omega2 MK2, doesn't image as well as the top dynamic headphones such as the T1 or HD800. I would have tested this personally but during my time of auditioning the O2 MK1 and MK2, I didn't have those two cans handy for a direct comparison.

So, what do you Stax seniors think? Is it by chance, could be related how the diaphragms are constructed and positioned?

I meant to respond earlier. Those silly dynamics have no place in this thread.

Woohoo! My custom tips for the 001s are finally in. My appointment for final fitting is Monday morning at 10:30am. I'm hoping they don't need a remold or too much adjustment so I can bring them home at that time. Starkey did struggle with them, so I'm not sure how much they will cost moving forward or how many times they had to mold this set. I'll let you guys know...

If memory serves me right, I recall reading that the O2 MK1's had fragile drivers that tend to fail easily... which was then remedied by the not-as-good-sounding MK2?

Reason I ask is I'm tempted by this FS: Stax Omega II mk1 - Head-Fi.org Community

I could be wrong but I thought the earspeakers with the higher failure rate were the original SR-Omegas from 1993-95.

If memory serves me right, I recall reading that the O2 MK1's had fragile drivers that tend to fail easily... which was then remedied by the not-as-good-sounding MK2?

Reason I ask is I'm tempted by this FS: Stax Omega II mk1 - Head-Fi.org Community

Nothing even remotely true about that. Drivers in the Mk1 and Mk2 are pretty much identical.

The SR-Omega drivers can indeed fail but I'm 95% sure that is is due to the chassis and not the drivers.