The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Even though auction in japan is safe but there are several fraudulent items as well, so be careful. The deputy service will not help out when come to fraud. You bid at your own risk as they are only after the fees.

This is very true and I've received a number of Stax items from Japan which should have ended on the scrap heap rather then Yahoo. Some I've managed to bring back up to spec but it wasn't easy. One SRD-7 I got was so rusty that most of the paint fell off it when I took it out of the box.

Would anyone happen to have that article? Or did Hifi News have a review of the Omega 2 or Omega 1 by any chance?

KK is a great fan of electrostatics and some of his reviews were on the old Simply Stax site. I remember the 4070 and SR-? reviews were there but the Stereophile review is much better. I do concur with his findings though as the older energizers are much better then the new ones.

I have some questions for you Stax freaks. ;D

Let's say I've never heard Stax earspeakers before, do you consider the SR-404 a good introduction to the Stax sound? Is it representive of what Stax can do?

I've found a deal on a STAX SRS-4040II Signature System II which is the Stax SR-404 and the SRM-006tII tube amp. The guy wants 1000$CAN for a 2-years-old system. Is this a good, decent or bad offer?

I have some questions for you Stax freaks. ;D

Let's say I've never heard Stax earspeakers before, do you consider the SR-404 a good introduction to the Stax sound? Is it representive of what Stax can do?

I've found a deal on a STAX SRS-4040II Signature System II which is the Stax SR-404 and the SRM-006tII tube amp. The guy wants 1000$CAN for a 2-years-old system. Is this a good, decent or bad offer?

That system will give you one take on the Stax sound but it won't really showcase what they really can do. The amp is too bland and the phones can really shine on that amp and are always let down by the ancient housing. In comparison to most of the dynamics stuff at up to double the price it is much better but Stax can be so much better for much less. A normal bias Lambda is one of the best headphones ever made and can be found dirt cheap if you are lucky. I also prefer the older T1 line of amps to the new 006/007 models but if the system in question is in great condition you should be able to unload it again at a minimal loss.

Problem is, the Lambdas are nowhere to be found. I check regularly on H-F, eBay, Audiogon, Canuckaudiomart, Google and they almost never appear. I found a Stax dealer not too far from my university, I'll try to find time this week to audition the sr-404 before doing a move.

My Stax experience is somewhat limited but so far but the Omega II is the only one that I really like (so much that I actually bought it). I had the SR-404 with the SRM-303 about a year ago (and also heard it with a T1) and preferred my HD 650 setup at that time, which was similarly priced as the 404/303 system. I also never grew fond of the two Lambda variations that headfier JaZZ has and which I've heard on numerous occasions. I think it mainly has to with how the Omega II is voiced.

Yes.
Don't know.

Today was an intensive Stax listening session for me. I had no classes this afternoon so I went for a little walk in Montreal to hear some Stax stuff.

First, I went to Petyot's house (H-F member) because he has an SRM-Xh amp to sell. I had plenty of time to listen to this amp with his Omega II and his SR-003 and also to compare the SRM-Xh to his SRM-717. It doesn't take a lot of time to realize that the SRM-717 is far superior, giving more air to the instruments and more bass and treble extension. The SRM-Xh made the OII sound really dark and a bit congested. With that said, it is a nice little amp for the price and I might buy it as an introduction amp if I manage to find Stax phones for a good price. Also, I was blown away by the SR-003. This thing sounds very warm, has good bass and the midrange is very refined and present. I did not dig the comfort of these phones though and they look cheaply built. The Omega II sounded pretty good out of the SRM-717: relaxed, effortless presentation, superb soundstage, lots of details, refined, etc. The overall tonality is very dark, even compared to Sennheisers, and I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad thing on the long term. Also, I thought the mids lacked some vitality (might not be the right word) and sounded kind of dead on some songs. Seems perfect for classical and jazz, but it didn't rock out my Porcupine Tree's In Absentia CD like it should.

After that, I went to an to an audio store who has Stax phones in stock and I was able to compare the SR-404 and SR-202 coming out from the SRM-007t tube amp with a Rega Apollo CD player. I don't know if it was the player, the amp or the phones but this SR-404 setup totally slayed the Omega II setup that I had heard previously. The first thing I noticed was a lot more clarity in the highs and more present mids. The bass was not as big as on the OII, but it was not lacking in any way either. I was surprised that I liked the SR-404 better than the OII considering all the great reviews the OII gets, but I couldn't help it, the SR-404 setup sounded just great. I did a short comparison with the SR-202 also, but I didn't like what I heard. The music was more "shouty", less refined, the soundstage was compacted way too much and it lacked the sweetness of the SR-404 and OII sound. Overall, I had a great experience with the SR-404 and consider it as my next purchase. The store prices being what they are, I said to the vendor I would be thinking about it.

Anyway, thanks for reading this. I think that's my biggest headphones "review" ever. Please pardon my orthograph and syntax errors, it's not my fault, I speak French. ;D

Great impressions and I'm not surprised that you preferred the SR-404 in that rig as the SR-007 needs serious muscle behind it to sound good and a well matched system. The wrong choice in interconnects can break the whole system. It does also take a lot of time to really "get" how good the SR-007 is as they aren't trying to impress like so many audio gear out there.

In other Stax news I just finished another SR-X Mk3 Pro for a fellow member and I have to go through the chore of testing them... Life is really tough... ;D

I'm not sure that I don't prefer the SR-202 over the SR-404 or Lambda pro myself. But my comparisons have been sparse. Unfair to call it. I still think that the 2020/2050 rig offers the best (production) amp/headphone buy that there is in headphonedom.

probably is measuring the voltage stator to stator, so a 450V power supply

here's the voltages that the electrostatic amps run on (that i know of):

450V: Egmont?

600V: HEV90, Aristaeus, Gilmore All-Triode (Woo GES)

700V (+/- 350): 717, 007t, KGSS

800V (+/- 400V): Blue Hawaii, ES-1?

What does vpp mean? Is 900Vpp not +/-450V? That's what I took it to mean ???:-[

It's a differential output, measured stator to stator, so the absolute maximum if the design allowed for it would be 2 * power supply voltage peak to peak. The Blue Hawaii will output 1500vpp, slightly less than 2 * it's 800V of power supply (the bottom of the waveform will clip first because of the type of design, same with the Stax 007t). At 800Vpp, SPL w/ Omega II is 106dB, so this would be louder than that. Max output of KGSS & Stax 717 are both around 1200vpp, Stax 007t is probably somewhere around 950vpp