The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Eh, what's going on? SR-007 headband bending? You guys must have humongous heads!

-

I held the SR-007MkII for the first time recently. It looked very good, high build and materials quality. I liked the way the earpads rotate together with the outside housing ring. Another welcome change was more rotating resistance. The SR-007's earpads and housings rotate too easily and separately, and I always have to realign them every time I take it off and put it on.

Mine is slightly larger then a melon but that's not the point. The size of the head isn't really the problem but the shape of the area around the ears and the angle there. The earpieces need to be at the right angle compared to the ears since there is no swivel mount.

Stop talking about the SR-007A/II... I'm really trying to cut back... :-\

Hmmm...for some reason I have never associated such a thought as that with you :)

That's true but I've sold some 27 headphones since November so I really am cutting back. Now I have only 10 electrostatics that I'm going to keep (some 10 more that are for sale, waiting for mods or awaiting repair) and two orthos. I'm not counting my stash in Japan but they can't be included since I've never even seen them... ::)

Stop talking about the SR-007A/II... I'm really trying to cut back... :-\

I'm trying to cut back too, but if you actually see, hold and wear the SR-007MkII you'll know what I mean. I really like the looks, materials quality, the changes to the earpads, and the firmer rotational force required. Every time I put on the SR-007 I have to match up both earpads and then rotate both outside rings so the cable points directly down. The earpads and the outside rings rotate way too easily.

If you're just a little bit OCD like I am (OK, maybe not just a little bit), you'll really like the MkII, no need to fiddle with the earpads or outer ring rotations anymore. If the MkII sounds the same or very close, and has less fart...

Aaargh, I just convinced myself, I'm placing an order.

I'm trying to cut back too, but if you actually see, hold and wear the SR-007MkII you'll know what I mean. I really like the looks, materials quality, the changes to the earpads, and the firmer rotational force required. Every time I put on the SR-007 I have to match up both earpads and then rotate both outside rings so the cable points directly down. The earpads and the outside rings rotate way too easily.

If you're just a little bit OCD like I am (OK, maybe not just a little bit), you'll really like the MkII, no need to fiddle with the earpads or outer ring rotations anymore. If the MkII sounds the same or very close, and has less fart...

Aaargh, I just convinced myself, I'm placing an order.

You aren't really helping and that offer I got to buy a nearly new SR-007A didn't either.... :-\

I'm trying to buy my O2 by installments.

First I bought the pads, next I'll buy the Arc, then the housings.... :P

I'm having tons of fun playing around with the Stax drivers and nice wood to put them all in. I'm going to do a woody Gamma, a woody Lambda and a woody SR-X MkIII along with my superduper Smegma Pro.

Should be a cool set of fones by the time I'm done. I think I need to get the Lambda holes properly machined though. I can cut nice holes but that Lambda needs a slot cut and I'm not good enough to do it accurately unless anyone here has ideas. A drill press and forstner bit would do it but I don't have a press. :(

I've had my Lambda Signature for three days now and I've listened to them a lot, but I did not do any A/B comparison with my HD600 until this morning. Since I sold my M^3 last week, the HD600 runs directly from 0404USB headphone out and the Lambda gets his juice from the SRM-Xh. Both are far from ideal amps, but that's all I have for the moment. Here's some quick impressions:

- The HD600 is slowwwwwwwww compared to the Stax. It's particularly apparent on bass drum and snare sounds on rock tracks (Porcupine Tree - The Sound Of Muzak playing right now). The Lambda sound is very "snappy" and the cymbals are crystal clear compared to the Senns where there's some form of muddiness. I remember the M^3 improved that aspect quite a bit though.

- The comfort of the Lambda is a lot better than the HD600. Almost no clamp force, very light, headband easily ajustable, my only complaint is that the pads make my ears a bit sweaty after a while. Also, the cable is so light that I forget it's there compared to the fat Cardas cable on my Senns.

- The bass on the Lambda is surprising to say the least. It goes much lower than the Senns and has more impact than many dynamic cans I've heard. It's not anemic at all and it's so tight and well defined that I can't get enough of it. :D The Senns bass out of the 0404USB is just bad, it lacks definition and doesn't go deep, but out of a good amp it sounds pretty good to my ears.

- One point where I think I prefer the Senns is the vocal department. On some albums, the Lambda sounds a bit thin while the HD600 always expresses its typical lushness. I thought it was easily apparent while I was listening to Fish's vocals on album Fugazi by Marillion.

- Both cans have pretty good treble, the Stax is smoother while the Sennheiser is more agressive.

That's it for now. Overall, I'm very pleased with the Stax and I might sell the HD600 in a near future to finance a better Stax amp.

I am trying to cut down on buying new 'phones as well.

But with so many interesting 'phones out there to try, and no local Head-Fi meetings its very hard.

In the ideal world I would have had the option to audition someone else SR-Omega, SR-Lambda Signature, SR-SC1, SR-Sigma Pro, SR-Lambda, SR-007A, ...

But sadly I don't, and might need to buy them all. Then resell most of them a while later. Oh well! >:D

I am trying to cut down on buying new 'phones as well.

But with so many interesting 'phones out there to try, and no local Head-Fi meetings its very hard.

In the ideal world I would have had the option to audition someone else SR-Omega, SR-Lambda Signature, SR-SC1, SR-Sigma Pro, SR-Lambda, SR-007A, ...

But sadly I don't, and might need to buy them all. Then resell most of them a while later. Oh well! >:D

That would have been possible here a few months ago but now I'm down to the basic "I can't sell these!!" lineup.

I do how ever have a confession to make... I just bought a SR-007A... :kitty: