The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

probably is measuring the voltage stator to stator, so a 450V power supply

here's the voltages that the electrostatic amps run on (that i know of):

450V: Egmont?

600V: HEV90, Aristaeus, Gilmore All-Triode (Woo GES)

700V (+/- 350): 717, 007t, KGSS

800V (+/- 400V): Blue Hawaii, ES-1?

If I remember correctly then the Egmont runs on about +/-250v PSU so it could push 900vpp if only it used something better then the 6SN7. All voltage but no power...

Wonder who they are for! ;)

;)

And the clear king of spl is the koss esp950 box.

runs off of + and - 600 volt power supplies. Actually clips within a few volts

of those rails, so about 2350 Vpp stator to stator.

srm 212 and the srm 252 running off the power brick at nominal voltage are

+ and - 325. Run them off of the battery and you get + and - 350

srm-001 on a fresh battery +550. sinks pretty quickly to +500.

I'm not sure that I don't prefer the SR-202 over the SR-404 or Lambda pro myself. But my comparisons have been sparse. Unfair to call it. I still think that the 2020/2050 rig offers the best (production) amp/headphone buy that there is in headphonedom.

I agree with Duggeh 100%! Yes, my 4040 system is better, but not 2X to 3X better than the 2050 system. This is a classic example of the point of diminishing returns, which causes us audiophiles to pay a huge premium for the last few tenths of a percent of performance. The 2020 system is almost a steal at its price point.

I agree with Duggeh 100%! Yes, my 4040 system is better, but not 2X to 3X better than the 2050 system. This is a classic example of the point of diminishing returns, which causes us audiophiles to pay a huge premium for the last few tenths of a percent of performance. The 2020 system is almost a steal at its price point.

Welcome to head-case! :)

So guys what is the word on the Stax SR-X MK3?

It looks like I just got myself one from 003 that was Fitz's before him on an impulse.

Will it even come close to my Ultrasone headphones?

Highly colored piece of shit compared to one of the most renowned monitors ever made... I have to agree with Marc.

Perhaps the law of diminishing returns applies to the modern Lambda line, but to me the SR-404 and SR-007 aren't even in the same league. They're not even playing the same sport, the SR-404 is a very mediocre to poor headphone.

OII Headband Update:

After reading a bit through the Stax thread on HF, I saw I could also focus my bending efforts on the bend directly above the housing, not just on the arc as a whole. At first I tried to bend them so they were basically flat, basically making the headband a continuous arc. This left the bottoms of the earcups way to far off the side of my face. So I bent the arc back into its stock shape (I had it squeezed it in so the arc was longer), still I had problems with the bottom of the earcup. So I tried the reverse, and bend the bend above the housing back to its original position and then even further in. I then gave the arc a good squeeze so it wouldn't press against the top of my head (big head), and was delighted to find the headphone now grips my head very securely and comfortably, with the earcups hooking quite nicely underneath my ears. Feels very secure and very comfortable, and the sound is just fantastic.

Here's my theory: when the bass and treble sounds right, you've gotten your earpad rotation correct. When the midrange sounds magical and the soundstage coherent, you've gotten your headband arc properly bent for your head, or at least you are on the right path.

Perhaps the law of diminishing returns applies to the modern Lambda line, but to me the SR-404 and SR-007 aren't even in the same league. They're not even playing the same sport, the SR-404 is a very mediocre to poor headphone.

Too bad I didn't know this before I bought the SR-404 from you. :P

I actually like the sound quite a bit. Unfortunately, I have an unusual fit/comfort issue with the lambda design. It's hard to enjoy the sound when my head hurts.

Maybe it is time to start planning an upgrade to the Omega II. ;D

OII Headband Update:

After reading a bit through the Stax thread on HF, I saw I could also focus my bending efforts on the bend directly above the housing, not just on the arc as a whole. At first I tried to bend them so they were basically flat, basically making the headband a continuous arc. This left the bottoms of the earcups way to far off the side of my face. So I bent the arc back into its stock shape (I had it squeezed it in so the arc was longer), still I had problems with the bottom of the earcup. So I tried the reverse, and bend the bend above the housing back to its original position and then even further in. I then gave the arc a good squeeze so it wouldn't press against the top of my head (big head), and was delighted to find the headphone now grips my head very securely and comfortably, with the earcups hooking quite nicely underneath my ears. Feels very secure and very comfortable, and the sound is just fantastic.

Here's my theory: when the bass and treble sounds right, you've gotten your earpad rotation correct. When the midrange sounds magical and the soundstage coherent, you've gotten your headband arc properly bent for your head, or at least you are on the right path.

I usually leave the arc well alone and just focus on the part above the ears. This works for me and those that I've bought SR-007's for locally but all heads are different and I've eve seen the arc formed into a V shape... :o

The bending will further dial in the bass and treble but those are subtle compared to the gain in the midrange and sound staging.

Too bad I didn't know this before I bought the SR-404 from you. :P

I actually like the sound quite a bit. Unfortunately, I have an unusual fit/comfort issue with the lambda design. It's hard to enjoy the sound when my head hurts.

Maybe it is time to start planning an upgrade to the Omega II. ;D

LOL! Do you think they sound like shit though? I think deepak exaggerated a lil' bit, just a lil' ;)

It's unfortunate that you find the Lambda line uncomfortable. I actually find it more comfortable than a lot of other headphones I've used.

LOL! Do you think they sound like shit though? I think deepak exaggerated a lil' bit, just a lil' ;)

It's unfortunate that you find the Lambda line uncomfortable. I actually find it more comfortable than a lot of other headphones I've used.

All these differing opinions make me eager to hear the current stax lineup.