The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Then there is the T1's which can be found for about 500$ if you are really lucky.

The T1 is a great value in my opinion. I bought both of mine for between $500 and $600. I'll most likely be picking one up again in a few months.

:prettyprincess: I posted this over at Head-Fi. You guys might be vaguely interested too. Sorry if you've had to see/read this twice :P

:prettyprincess:

Initial impressions of the SR-Lambda Signature

Thanks Spritzer for selling me his excellent example. Purchased on Tuesday, arrived on Thursday:D I only got back from holiday this morning and couldn't wait to get my hands (and ears) on it.

Seeing that some people have been complaining of the lack of relatively lengthy "reviews", I decided to cook something up myself. Mind you, this is not a "review" in the usual sense (written over weeks after months of extended listening) and I don't intend it to be one because I've only had these headphones for a day! However, I have been listening enough to gain a good understanding of the SR-Lambda Signature's characteristics and capabilities. Anyhow, I would kindly ask you to overlook any mistakes. I'm jetlagged:( and have tried to write this in one-take, so to speak.

I shall be using both 16bit/44.1kHz ALAC and 24bit/88.2kHz FLAC through ASIO foobar passthrough to my 740c and discs played through the 740c itself. Everything will be upsampled to 24bit/384kHz and sent to my SRM-006t. I put in a duet of NOS Raytheons damped by Herbie's Labs. Power cables are Russ Andrews PowerMax and all components are isolated with Vibrapods and cones. To be absolutely honest, I really don't think any of the tweaks (not including tubes) are having any affect on the sound at all, but I'm far too lazy to remove them now;)

I only have two other headphones in front of me at the moment, the Sennheiser HE60 and the Stax SR-Lambda Professional. I'll be making comparisons with those.

So here are my very preliminary thoughts (all that you read is subject to the usual 'YMMV-IMHO mercy rule' :D):

Generally speaking, the SR-Lambda Sig is a bright-sounding, fast, detailed headphone with a very unforgiving sound signature. The soundstaging is believable, layered, imaging sharp, attack well defined with a very controlled and accurate, unexaggerated decay... Unfortunately, the midrange is very bright (even brighter than the HE60, almost Grado-like) and the etch is noticeable (especially with violins and female vocals).

The first thing that came to my mind when I started listening to the 'Signature' was "HE60". The two have a lot in common. Both are bright, fast and very detailed. In my rig, both have a drier, leaner, more anaemic sound than the SR-Lambda Professional. In all honesty, this is the very first time I've listened to the HE60 having just listened to another headphone and not thought that the latter pair was lacking in details. In other words, the 'Signature' more or less matches the HE60 in terms of shear resolving power. What the HE60 does better at is reproducing reverberation cues and other very, very fine details which really makes a recording come alive. As a result, the 'Signature' doesn't quite project as realistic (or life-like) an image as the HE60. Having said that, it images a lot better than the 'Professional'.

As with all Lambda-series headphones I've listened to (SR-202, SR-404, L-Pro and now the L-Sig), the 'Signature' decay is longer and attack not as focussed compared to what I experience with the HE60. As a consequence, and I don't mean this to be a bad thing, the Lambda-series don't sound as intense or clinical/clean.

The 'Signature' has very nice, textured bass. It's impactful and extends pretty deep. I see it as a good mixture of the 'Professional' 's rich bass and the HE60's detail and control minus the rolled-off. Listening to music such as Liszt Piano Sonata in B minor or Money for Nothing (Dire Straits) on the HE60 is an aural treat, but I always find myself wanting more oomf and substance, particularly in the lower registers. The 'Professional' provided that oomf and substance, but at the expense of resolution and as a result the realism of the performance. The 'Signature' is a compromise between the two. It isn't quite as rich-sounding (some like to call this musical) as the 'Professional' but far more transparent and detailed. Similarly, it isn't as insanely resolving as the HE60 (though very close!), but delivers an adequate punch in the bass and lower midrange. The result is superb. That said, some may not necessarily prefer this compromise.

I want to say a little about the soundstaging too. The 'Signature' is leaps and bounds above the 'Professional' in this area. The latter has a very diffuse, big, airy sound, but it is ridiculously artificial. It only gives the illusion that the performers are in a large arena playing miles in front of you when in fact (if you listen carefully), they are no further away than a few meters. The 'Signature', with its superior resolving power, actually gives you a sense of the size of the recording studio/hall and a good idea of where each sound is coming from. More reverberation and ambient cues are presented to the listener, making for a much more realistic listen. IMO, the HE60 is a class above both in this area. It's amazing how life-like and precise the Sennheisers renders performers in their own 'acoustic space'. I actually think that the 'Signature' is more forward than the HE60. It sounds to me like the performers are closer to me.

So everything is good and the 'Signature' the next FOTM? Not so fast. Something will really kill it for people, and that is the infamous midrange etch. This is something that is found in a lot of Lambdas to varying degrees and also the HE60 to a lesser degree. Strangely enough, it is in my experience that the more expensive Lambdas are affected the most (eg SR-404 vs SR-202; L-Sig vs L-Pro). I don't hear it in the SR-007.

I'm listening to a spectacular recording of Beethoven's Violin Concerto, IMHO the best there is - Isabella Faust with the Prague Philharmonia/Belohlavek on Harmonia Mundi. I have to admit that the 'Signature' does just about everything right here, except for the violins! It's as if Ms Faust swapped her own violin for another one with different sonic characteristics! The upper midrange is annoyingly thin and unatural. This is not an issue with the 'Professional' and minor enough enough with the HE60 to be ignored. I'm sad to say I cannot get the 'Signature' 's rather unique presentation out of the way. Granted this is my first day with it, I may get used to it, eventually...

Then I switch to another very good recording, the FIM K2HD remaster of Cantate Domino, originally released by Proprius on SACD. The first track is also called Cantate Domino. It contains a mixture of brass, vocals and organ. Rather unexpectedly, it seems that the midrange etch is a nonissue with organ music. In fact, the 'Signature' sounds very at home. The low notes are adequately resonant and the higher ones exquisitely rendered. There's enough brightness to bring out the choir and the bright organ stops. The 'Professional' sounds a bit thick in comparison and doesn't exhibit the same clarity or tone purity.

Lastly, I have a listen to some solo female vocals, eg Jennifer Warnes, Norah Jones, Christmas Song from Cantate Domino, etc...

*Eargasm* Absolutely fabtastic. The 'Signature' 's combination of a decent bass response and highly detailed sound really hits this one on a bulls eye. Sure, the HE60 still delivers a much more mesmerisingly life-like listening experience, but the 'Signature' is so much cheaper! If anything, I think that the midrange is a bit too pronounced. I'm getting the same type of Grado midrange brightness I got with the RS-2, albeit to a much lesser extent.

All in all, I have really enjoyed my first day with this wonderful, wonderful headphone. Whether I will ultimately love it as much as the HE60 or SR-Lambda Professional remains a mystery. To me, the 'Signature' is a highly capable headphone with numerous very likable characteristics, but it doesn't quite sound as musical as the 'Professional' nor as life-like as the HE60. At the same time, one may be put off by the midrange etch. Only time will tell...

Unfortunately, I have a very busy schedule for the next three months and don't see any way I would have time to take this "review" any further. Feel free to PM me and I will try my best to answer within a reasonable time frame:D Now I really need to go and unpack *looks at multiple suitcases with luggage tags and straps still attached* :D

Nice writeup milky, it'll be interesting to see which way you go.

I agree that the SR-Lambda doesn't suffer much from the infamous etch. I imagine many will prefer the original for that very reason, it's nicely balanced though still a little bright. I like mine a lot, but I;m still gonna screw with them because, well, that's just what I always do >:D

I'm guessing the thicker the film, the less likely it is to 'etch'. The SR-Lambda has 2.0um and is the thickest amongst the Lambda series.

Stator assembly has also a lot to do with it as will the coating used, the housing and the tension the diaphragm is under. Blaming it all on the diaphragm is the same as saying a Dac upgrade will transform a CDP... ::)

The SR-L is probly technically and sonically inferior to their pro bias brethren in a number of respects but there's a lot to be said for just sounding nice irrespective of other considerations.

I look at it as the statement piece of the that level of technology and it is no wonder that is was produced well into the 80's with the far from neutral Lambda Pro's leading the way.

I see. I'm too simple minded. :)

Nothing wrong with that. It has taken me years of electrocution and torn diaphragms to learn the little I know about this stuff. Electrostatics and pickups are similar in how something so simple can sound so different.

I've come to realize that etch == "good for classical". This has been true 100% of the time for me. Also, etch is not good for "oversampling", and much more conducive to analog and non-oversampling sources.

But the SR-007 has no etch whatsoever, and isn't it your main headphone?

I picked up some gorgeous Bolivian Rosewood to revamp my Lambdas. Hopefully I won't make a complete mess of it because it's a beautiful piece of wood. I'm going to angle the drivers and felt/mesh the back with the rosewood trim. If it works out as I envision it, they will be the sexiest Lambdas EVAR!!

I need to find some nice wire mesh, preferably black, any suggestions? Either steel or plastic would do as long as its decent stuff. I haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for.

People have been blaming things on the diaphragm for decades... O0

It makes a great marketing tool as we all know that thinner is better.... right?? ;)

I picked up some gorgeous Bolivian Rosewood to revamp my Lambdas. Hopefully I won't make a complete mess of it because it's a beautiful piece of wood. I'm going to angle the drivers and felt/mesh the back with the rosewood trim. If it works out as I envision it, they will be the sexiest Lambdas EVAR!!

I need to find some nice wire mesh, preferably black, any suggestions? Either steel or plastic would do as long as its decent stuff. I haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for.

You don't need to angle the drivers if you use the Lambda earpads since they are already angled. Now if you are going for a more Sigma like design then angle away... ;D

I don't know where you can find this stuff in the US but I have used some old IKEA desktop crap as a source for black mesh and it worked really well. You should also make it concave and mount it properly so that is won't vibrate.

I'm thinking of trying this to find out what the electrostatic sound is like:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs-stax-sr-sigma-srd-7sb-australia-292519/

How good (or bad) does it sound if I use a speaker amp instead of say, Stax's own amps or a KGSS?

I can use an old Denon PMA-860 amp lying around or the B22 I'm getting soon.

First off the Sigma isn't a good way to discover the electrostatic sound as they sound very different from a Lambda or a SR-X. They have many of the same strengths but also some weaknesses due to the unique design.

The Sigma needs a lot of power so unless you are going with a Blue Hawaii I'd stick with a speaker amp and an adapter.

First off the Sigma isn't a good way to discover the electrostatic sound as they sound very different from a Lambda or a SR-X. They have many of the same strengths but also some weaknesses due to the unique design.

The Sigma needs a lot of power so unless you are going with a Blue Hawaii I'd stick with a speaker amp and an adapter.

Hmm, how about the the SR-Lambda Pro that you are (were?) selling? Would that be a good introduction to the electrostatic world, or would the SR-X be better?

Btw, would a speaker amp be good enough to power something like the SR-007A?

Hmm, how about the the SR-Lambda Pro that you are (were?) selling? Would that be a good introduction to the electrostatic world, or would the SR-X be better?

Btw, would a speaker amp be good enough to power something like the SR-007A?

The Lambda Pro I was selling is a fine headphone and much more in line with the electrostatic sound. The SR-X shows how brutally revealing 'stats can be as it was designed to be a monitor headphone. Any one of the Lambdas is a good first headphone but the price is higher then with the older Stax models which are also a good step into the Stax "sound".

You can use transformers to drive the SR-007 but they are far from being good enough. They simply can't give the phones the power they need to shine.

I got my Stax SR-X MK3 with the DIY amp a couple of days ago and have been listening to it off and on. I am not sure how best to maximize the sound by using sources and all. On some tracks the sound is loud at about 8 o'clock and others it needs to go to about 11-12 before the music comes alive.

The sound is very quite between notes with very little soundstage and with very little decay off the instruments like harps and acoustic guitars. On some tracks the sound is much better than others, probably a relationship to quality of the mixing and recording.

I think I've got the final bend completed:

1) sharp inward hooks on the bend right above the housings to hook the driver under my ear

2) stretch the overall headband flat so I get a wider, gentler arc to accommodate my wide head (this is the new part, previously I'd been trying to tighten the arc)

3) aim the creases in the pads right around where my glasses frames sit on my head

Viola, it appears I have the perfect fit. Getting this headphones adjusted right was quite frustrating. At times it reminded me of learing to setup a vinyl rig, and though it certainly wasn't as neurosis-inducing as that, the payoff is similarly satisfying. Comfy but snug fit, lovely complex bass, beautiful midrange, precise and non fatiguing highs.

Eh, what's going on? SR-007 headband bending? You guys must have humongous heads!

-

I held the SR-007MkII for the first time recently. It looked very good, high build and materials quality. I liked the way the earpads rotate together with the outside housing ring. Another welcome change was more rotating resistance. The SR-007's earpads and housings rotate too easily and separately, and I always have to realign them every time I take it off and put it on.