The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

They added the port to remove the fart problem and brought along with it no deep bass and a large midbass hump. I'm sure that some compromise could be found through damping where the ear chamber can breath but it doesn't kill the bass.

Couldn't this be done with some kind of a very sensitive valve? Granted that things might get too fragile at that rate.

What spritzer said. They're fun....rolled off treble, but an image unlike any other e-stat out there. Definitely something to hear if you can. You'll most likely get the $800 back if you decide to sell later....they don't pop up that often.

Couldn't this be done with some kind of a very sensitive valve? Granted that things might get too fragile at that rate.

That's not something that will last 30 years. Felt might be ideal as it can let through air but it won't do it easily. It will be the point of least resistance though so there would be minimal noise.

That's not something that will last 30 years. Felt might be ideal as it can let through air but it won't do it easily. It will be the point of least resistance though so there would be minimal noise.

Stax had no trouble having SR-003/001 come with silicon fittings, hah.

I've just dug my LNS out of storage for a listen again... and while this isn't going to be a very popular opinion (and a little dodgy no less since the LNS are for sale), the LNS is remarkably similar to the O2 out of my system. I even thought I had the O2s on my head before noticing that they were on the table :x

I've just dug my LNS out of storage for a listen again... and while this isn't going to be a very popular opinion (and a little dodgy no less since the LNS are for sale), the LNS is remarkably similar to the O2 out of my system. I even thought I had the O2s on my head before noticing that they were on the table :x

I know where you are coming from with this as they have a similar presentation but the SR-007 can stop being laid back when driven properly and/or the music calls for some balls. This is something the LNS can't do even when driven balls to the wall by a BH.

You are talking about Sigma Pro going for $800 right? Normal bias Sigma goes for around $550, no?

So the dude on A-gon changed his ad to say that his pair is normal bias and dropped the price to $400. Pretty odd, but what say the powers that be on the difference between Pro and Normal, assuming I would be using the 007t for now?

So the dude on A-gon changed his ad to say that his pair is normal bias and dropped the price to $400. Pretty odd, but what say the powers that be on the difference between Pro and Normal, assuming I would be using the 007t for now?

The sound is rahter different, the normal bias model has a thicker sound with more slam and attack while the Pro's have a wider soundstage but never "gel" like the normal bias model. Neither will work well from a 007t given the massive power needed to make them shine. Put some SR-404 drivers in that housing and the 007t should be able to drive them.

Seems fricken shady to me. How do you not know which is which if you've been using them or have them in your possession?

Most just assume that they have Pro gear... :palm:

The guy has 64 positive feedbacks from 2000 to April 2008 (incl. one from Hirsch9000) and 2 negatives from years ago. Probably safe to assume he just doesn't know his shit, but did drop the price when he realized it or was informed by a potential buyer.

Not sure I care to spend $400 just to get a listen on an amp that will not power them well.

It probably is based upon comments at the top of this page, but I have never heard them and have no shortage of headphones lying around...:rolleyes:

I mainly want a pair of Lambda Sigs but thought this might be an interesting alternative (which is why I am still considering buying the Sigmas :D)

I mainly want a pair of Lambda Sigs but thought this might be an interesting alternative (which is why I am still considering buying the Sigmas :D)

Interesting they are and 400$ is certainly not a bad deal. Out of the 007t they will be pretty midbass heavy and slightly rolled off on top so they are more dependent on the music chosen then anything else. The founder of Stax was a classical music nut and the normal bias Sigma was his favorite of all the phones they made.

It probably is based upon comments at the top of this page, but I have never heard them and have no shortage of headphones lying around...:rolleyes:

I've spent a fair amount of time now with my Lambda Pros now that the Sigs have a cable problem. I really like the Lambda; but I absolutely love the Sigs. The Lambdas sound more congested and tight. The Sigs more lush and spacious, less grainy to me.

Weren't you getting a GES after demo'ing it? Dew eeet :indra:

Guest aaron313
I've spent a fair amount of time now with my Lambda Pros now that the Sigs have a cable problem. I really like the Lambda; but I absolutely love the Sigs. The Lambdas sound more congested and tight. The Sigs more lush and spacious, less grainy to me.

I have a cable problem with my Lambda Pro. And it worsened right when I was about to do a comparison with the 303. Solution: buy O2 and forget about the other two.

They added the port to remove the fart problem and brought along with it no deep bass and a large midbass hump. I'm sure that some compromise could be found through damping where the ear chamber can breath but it doesn't kill the bass.

My respect to your experience with all STAX products but it's hard to believe that such a serious company will not design and test very carefully every product and especially their top end product. It's ridiculous.

If some of us don't like the O2 mk2 it's not a fault of the STAX engineers but what they intend to make. Maybe the so called midbass hump is just a response to the hype taste.

In fact I don't find a problem with the midbass. I find my SR-007mk2+SRM-727II system very linear.

My only complaints are about the missing deep bass (below 25Hz maybe). But it concerns about 0.1% of my music collection. :)

My respect to your experience with all STAX products but it's hard to believe that such a serious company will not design and test very carefully every product and especially their top end product. It's ridiculous.

If some of us don't like the O2 mk2 it's not a fault of the STAX engineers but what they intend to make. Maybe the so called midbass hump is just a response to the hype taste.

In fact I don't find a problem with the midbass. I find my SR-007mk2+SRM-727II system very linear.

My only complaints are about the missing deep bass (below 25Hz maybe). But it concerns about 0.1% of my music collection. :)

Engineers can be deceptively stupid sometimes but Stax has been known to make a lemon or two over the years. The 727 for instance is an abomination compared to the 717 but it has no NFB. :rolleyes: Did they intend to make a worse product then the predecessor? Not a chance but it happens but change something and it can all fall apart. It's not all bad as they have finally fixed the SRM-3/313 mess with the 323 which is as good as the SRM-1 if not better.

As I covered before, Stax had to fix these issues and they took the route they deemed best. Two of them involved "compromising the design" as I like to say since they had to increase the size of the ear cavity (also position the drivers further way from the head) and get rid of the squealing. Enlarge the ear cavity and you open up a Pandora's box of issues and keeping the drivers sealed off is a needed to make them more linear by keeping the damping a constant. I just worked on the SR-Omega/007 hybrid yesterday and fully sealing off the drivers has brought a very positive change in bass depth and lack of overhang.