Nice deal on decent speakers

skullguise

Hey all,

AV123.COM is clearing out their "ELT" line of speakers, for some pretty cheap prices with free delivery. This line looks nice, with some nice finishes. I owned the monitors (little softer/warmer sounding), still own the towers (REAL nice deal at this price), and the center channel (have it, but haven't set it up yet; have read it's so-so).

But the towers at $249 Cherry/$259 Rosewood (though these may be out of stock now) delivered are a great deal IMO.

Only caveat: AV123 was founded by Mark Schifter, and he is currently in legal trouble, and it may affect/reflect on the company. They are still developing and getting new product, but there may be some stability questions. But my towers are well-built, and I have heard no remarks about failures on this line.

Here's the email I got:

We need to make room for some new products so we are clearing

out all remaining inventory on the ELT Speaker Series.

Don’t wait… at these prices… they will be gone soon!

Cherry Monitors $149/pair free shipping (normally priced at $299)

Rosewood Monitors $179/pair free shipping (normally priced at $299)

Cherry Center Channel $119/each free shipping (normally priced at $249)

Cherry Tower $249.00 /pair free shipping (normally priced at $799)

Rosewood Tower $259.00/pair free shipping (normally priced at $799)

Click here to order

http://www.av123.com//index.php?page=shop.browse&option=com_virtuemart&on_special=1&Itemid=131

PS - I'd also stay clear of the subwoofer (MWF-15). They have had misc. problems with the amps on them; and even though better now, it seems it's not fully resolved across the board.

you couldn't get me to buy from AV123.

somebody might get a good deal out of it, and that's fine for them, if they can stomach it.

there is no way I would deal with this guy or his company after what I have read, deal or no deal I would advise to stay away

I wouldnt piss on Mark Schifter if he was on fire. Or buy his shit.

Got the same email, and I've even met Mark, briefly years back. While I usually tend to think business is business, and don't get involved with what's going on behind the scenes, every now and then someone goes beyond the point of being able to ignore their character, or in this case lack of such. While I've done business with AV123 in the past, and have recommended them in the past, I have to full heartedly agree with my brethren here. This 'NED' has sunk to a level far below that which should be acceptable to discount, and I just could not condone any endeavor which might put another dollar in the scumbags pocket.

I had given this a lot of thought over the last few months; and while I personally will not likely do biz with AV123 again, I DO think about the other partners and workers in the company. Some are unjustly guilty by association. I would hope that Mark gets everything deserving of him, I decided that I couldn't pass that judgement to the company as a whole.

It's a fine line, as indeed any business with them will, at least for now, still partially line the pockets of the man. But at the same token, 1) he should be paying back what he owes, and he can't do that without an income [and I hope that his income is garnished for this sole purpose], and 2) the company has had some decent products.

There's a small part of me that is happy to spread this deal, because the speakers are pretty good. And, at the price they are going for (including shipping), the profit can't be much at all.

I personally hope long-term that the company does well, but without Mark's involvement and financial interest. His actions have certainly poisoned me, but against HIM more than the company as a whole. In some sense the two are inseperable, but there are others there as well who are not the same person Mark is.

My two cents. But I absolutely respect the decisions not to do business, or not to even piss out a fire :D

I was going to mention the employees, etc., but I did a quick search and it appears that AV123 has been stiffing its suppliers, and also seemed that a number of people did not get their product as well. Mind you this was a QUICK search, so I may have missed a lot.

I personally hope long-term that the company does well, but without Mark's involvement and financial interest. His actions have certainly poisoned me, but against HIM more than the company as a whole. In some sense the two are inseperable, but there are others there as well who are not the same person Mark is.

There may very well be some at AV123 who truly are innocent in all this or protested the company's actions, but the company as a whole has certainly been a willing participant in fraud. It goes waaaaay deeper than just the raffle scams, and in the cases where AV123 wasn't directly involved in it, they sat by and let it happen. Hell, when I was lied to and ripped off by them a few years ago I never even dealt with Mark at all.

Care to share more of your story Fitz. I knew something happened, but never knew exactly what.

I ordered (with cashy money, not thru warranty) a replacement driver for my Ref1s because I was getting these weird noises out of one speaker whenever I turned it up, which in the end turned out to just be shitty construction inside the speaker cab but that's a whole other story. Whether they were out of them, or just didn't want to send me one, this is what I was sent instead:

av123driver.jpg

You win an internets if you can guess what kind of driver was actually inside there. Yes, they actually thought by using a pen to change the label on the box, I would never know the difference, or even LOOK at the driver. I'm sure you can guess how well it went trying to get them to make it right, since I still have the damn thing. I never could decide on an appropriately flashy way to destroy it.