Music Recommendations?

jinp6301

I'm starting to get into bluegrass/country/pop-country (or what I think is bluegrass/country) a bit more and since this is an area of music that I am not completely familiar with, I was hoping you guys can help me out with some recommendations.

So far I like:

Nickel Creek (and the various solo groups that came out of it)

Punch Brothers

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Neko Case

Gillian Welch

Old Crow Medicine Show

Lucinda Williams

Ryan Adams

Sarah Jarosz

Thanks!

I'd say nearly one half of my posts in the What Are You Listening To Now thread fit the bill, though a lot of my choices lean more towards the folky side of things.

From just today's listening (and I highly recommend all):

Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball and Red Dirt Girl

Kris Delmhorst - Songs for a Hurricane

Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth

Steve Earle - Townes

John Prine -self-titled

Various Artists - O Brother Where Art Thou

and general favs:

Anything Cowboy Junkies

Be Good Tanyas: Hello Love, Chinatown, and Blue Horse

Patti Griffin - Living with Ghosts, Impossible Dream, 1000 Kisses

Son Volt - American Central Dust

Redbird - self-titled (this is Kris Delmhorst, Jeffrey Foucault, and Peter Mulvey). I think I'll listen to this now. :)

Another Kris Delmhorst - Shotgun Singer

The Wailin' Jennys - Live at the Mauch Chunk Opera House

I'll be back with more, but that's just off the top of my head.

Yeah, but which half? But Which Half?!?!?

EDIT: That was actually in response to Vicki's post, not yours, but it's funny seeing it applied to yours.

Neko Case and Gillian Welch are new Americana or alt.country, aren't they? Is that what interests you? The following suggestions are based entirely on that premise, because other than that, I have no interest knowledge myself in any of those other genres.

I would definitely check out Allison Moorer.

No Depression by Uncle Tupelo is considered a turning point.

Early Wilco.

Jim White is fun.

The Devics are absolutely sublime.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Okay, now looking through my ipod, which has only a limited selection because I'm too lazy to put a lot of stuff on at any one time:

Ben Nichols -The Last Pale Light In The West This is a must-check out.

The Weepies (more folkie) - pretty much anything. I've been liking Say I am You

Slaid Cleaves - check him out. He's a great songwriter, but his asshole producers like to slicken him up too much for my taste.

Ryan Bingham - Mescalito (oooh..I haven't listened to this in a long time).

Okay, I'll look though my computer and cds next.

So, listening to Ben Nichols right now and just remembered that you should not dismiss the Dixie Chicks, even if they're more straight up pop country. I really like Taking the Long Way Home, and may listen to it next.

Tres Chicas - Bloom, Red and the Ordinary Girl. A bit unusual, and not for everyone, but it's for me.

Definitely check out Shannon McNally - I like her music a lot, but something about her voice bugs me a bit. She was popular in the WARLTN thread for awhile.

okay, that's it for now.

Wait....Eastmountainsouth...an absolute must!

Edited by boomana

Slight variation with Vickis earlier list:

John Prine's Souvenirs

John Prine's In Spite Of Ourselves

Steve Earle & The Del McCoury Band's The Mountain

John Fahey anything

Also continuing with the newish Adams/Welchy stuff...

Hem's I'm Talking With My Mouth

Hem's Rabbit Songs

The Jayhawks' Hollywood Town Hall

Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris' All The Roadrunning

Shelby Lynne's I Am Shelby Lynne

Kate Rusby's Little Lights

Kate Rusby's Ten

Kate Rusby's Underneath The Stars

Kathleen Edwards' Asking for Flowers

Jack Logan And Bob Kimbell's Woodshedding

Songcatcher soundtrack

Clem Snide's The Ghost Of Fashion

And barely related...

Ass Ponys' Some Stupid with Flare Gun

Ass Ponys' Lohio

Califone (experimental Wilco-ish) anything

Edited by blessingx

Definite yes to Hem, and well, most of Ric's list, though I don't know Kate Rusby, Clem Snide (what a name!), or Ass Pony, and don't like Kathleen Edwards.

Now, this is way off, being a London band, but not really if it's the feel you're looking for, even if it's very English. Well, you'll know what I mean if you check it out.

mumford-sons-sigh-no-more.jpg

and this is a must:

B000BC8T50.jpg

Not necessarily my forte, but this is one that a friend turned me on to about 5 years ago. It was great stuff, at least if memory serves.

51KANRK8PWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Old & In the Way: Old & in the Way, Jerry Garcia, David Grisman: Music

There was some other stuff from David Grisman that I thoroughly enjoyed as well, but can't recall the name. I think he has his own audiophile-ish label that stuff is put out on. Acoustic Disc... that's it.

Ok, links.

The Pizza Tapes - Extra Large Edition - 3 CD Format

THE PIZZA TAPES - EXTRA LARGE EDITION - 3 CD FORMAT

Jerry Garcia, David Grisman, Tony Rice

"20years" as a code for 20% off. I remember hearing this about 5 years ago as well... grrr... gonna have to get this.

One more site that I just stumbled across that might be good.

Acoustic Oasis

Also... Wilco. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot just blew me away the first time I listened to it. Still does sometimes. I have more, but I guess I'm just too mainstream for my own good.

**BRENT**

She's a little too pop-ish for my taste.
Yeah, except the recommendation was for Jin, not for you, and since he's coming from the pop slant, I still think he might dig. Agreed that it is probably on the outermost edges of the genre, especially something like "Divided" (vs. "If I Fall", which I think falls well within the genre).

Yeah, except the recommendation was for Jin, not for you, and since he's coming from the pop slant, I still think he might dig. Agreed that it is probably on the outermost edges of the genre, especially something like "Divided" (vs. "If I Fall", which I think falls well within the genre).

Wow, I didn't know Tara was very well known outside of Canada. Her music is not really to my taste but I did see her play with Shaye a few years back and they put on a pretty good show, it was kind of a homecoming for Tara so it was a very relaxed and intimate show.

Another artist from PEI that people might like is Nathan Wiley, I've been a big fan of his since his first CD "Bottom Dollar". Another Canadian artist that might be of interest is Corb Lund.

Any of the old Townes van Zandt albums are good to check out. I really like "Live at the Old Quarter". Also check out "Live at the Bluebird Cafe" which is Townes, Steve Earle and Guy Clark, who is also worth checking out on his own. Oh, and three thumbs up on the Old and in the Way. How can Jerry Garcia and Vasser Clements doing Bluegrass be bad?

Yes, to Jim's recs.

I think you would like Kate Rusby, V, and it was Ric who turned me on to her too.

Yup. Rather nice.

I'd throw in Tift Merrit. Pop/Country (not Bluegrass), with a nice touch of 60's Soul thrown in at times. "Good Hearted Man" was dancing in my head for months after hearing it.....

I'd love to see Tift Merrit live. She's another singer/songwriter I really like, but can't stand her cd's. It's like her producers, or maybe it's her, just can't leave well enough alone.

So, damn. Last night, I went on a music binge, digging around cd's, many of which I'd forgotten about, and typed up a fairly comprehensive recommendation response here, but apparently fell asleep before pressing "submit," and now it's vanished.

Anyway, the abbreviated version of stuff I haven't yet mentioned:

If you want to dip into modern bluegrass/folk/roots/country, good launching pads are the Rounder Records or Sugar Hill catalogs. There are others, but they'll get you started.

For necessary reference points, as well as some amazing music, the Smithsonian Folkways stuff is great. A must is their Anthology of American Folk Music, edited by Harry Smith. Also check into Alan Lomax, Jr.'s stuff. Again, those are just starting points, and there is a lot more out there, but they're good starting points, and if I ever meet you in person, I also have some really fun stories to tell about both those nuts.

Anyway, back to more modern slants, but have a more traditional feel to me:

Chatham County Line – Route 23

Little Country Giants – Sing Pretty for the People (you want this one)

Diana Jones – My Remembrance of You

Samamidon – This Chicken Proved Falsehearted

Justin Townes Earle – The Good Life

Also, check out the Avett Brothers. I don't own any of their cd's because I'll love one song and hate the next two, but they're worth investigating.

The singer/songwriter stuff with seemingly (at least to me) more crossover stuff going on. I like all these in small doses:

Gregory Alan Isakov – Rust Colored Stones

A.A. Bondy – When the Devil's Loose and American Hearts

Joe Pug – Nation of Heat

J. Tillman – Vacilando Territory Blues

Chris Bathgate – A Cork Tale Wake

Moving into more modern folk genre blending band stuff (I guess you'd call it "indie"):

Deer Tick – War Elephant, The Black Dirt Sessions (probably everything else, but I just don't have it)

The Everybodyfields – Plague of Dreams

Blind Pilot – 3 Rounds and a Sound (these guys go on tour on their bicycles)

Breathe Owl Breathe – Climb In (I love this one)

For some reason I want to throw Califone in here, but they really mix up genres, depending on the cd, and are pretty experimental, but almost always good.

Stuff you might want to check out, but I don't own for various reasons:

The Castanets

The Cave Singers

Frontier Ruckus

Brown Bird

That's it for now. I'll admit that I have no idea if the cds I own are even the better choices for each of these artists, but I'm now in the mood to check more out. Also, come to think of it, some of these stretch a bit far from where you wanted to be per your first post. Sorry about that.

Edited by boomana
added something

Jin, you got me on a music binge now. I went to pick up the new Punch Brothers, and ended up getting the new Crooked Still

crooked_still_300_x_300.jpg

the new Carolina Chocolate Drops :

51HZHshl42L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

two duet cd's of Chris Thile of Old Crow Medicine Show, one with Mike Marshall

51C8FCNXCQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and one with Edgar Meyer:

chris-thile-duo.jpg

and his 2004 solo cd

11595411.jpg

this one by The Steeldrivers (very bluesy bluegrass)

steeldrivers.jpg

and also bumped into this one last night in my own collection that I highly recommend (wonderful version of "Angel Band").

61YP5JQM9WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Wood brothers are Chris Wood of Medeski, Martin, & Wood and his brother Oliver, so ended up getting their other cd

wood_brothers_loaded.jpg

and almost bought the new Infamous Stringdusters:

51VP9bP1MlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

but added to my growing Deer Tick collection instead:

deer-tick-born-on-flag-day-album-art-12205.jpeg

and topped it off with maybe the most fun cd I've bumped into in a long time, The Fabulous Ginn Sisters - You Can't Take a Bad Girl Home.

GinnPink400.jpg

I think I'm done for a bit.

New Crooked Still? Dangit, I completely missed that. Guess I need to make a trip to the store too.

Jin,

I've been on a wicked Greg Laswell kick lately. You might check him out, I like his new album Take A Bow a lot. It trends towards the melancholy at times but never gets me down.

Nice lists. Few more to add...

Bobby Bare Jr. - Young Criminals Starvation League

album_main_bs089.jpg

Rita Hosking - Silver Stream (Al's payback)

hosking2.jpg

Jumping to more folk:

Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day, Lookaftering

And great country-ish inspired jazz:

Bill Frisell - Nashville