Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player Announced

Eric5676

Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Just when you thought there wasn't a better Universal Blu-ray player on the market for under $500 than the infamous BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player, Oppo proves you wrong by unveiling a new successor model: the BDP-93. Carrying the same retail price ($499), Oppo's BDP-93 has upped the bar by adding new networking/streaming features, increased performance and improved build quality.

The Oppo BDP-93 will do virtually everything the BDP-83 BD player did, plus have some major feature upgrades as listed below:

* Blu-ray 3D support

* Netflix streaming support

* CinemaNow support

* Additional network streaming features will be announced once partners certify the player. Oppo has divulged several of their potential partners to us and users should not be disappointed.

* Wireless-N networking

* Dual HDMI outputs. The two HDMI ports can be configured to support separate video and audio paths, or to support two displays at the same time.

* Marvell KYOTO G2 chipset with Qdeo video processig(though prototypes were also built with the ABT2015)

* eSATA port in addition to two USB ports

There's a lot more to this article including pretty pictures so just click on the link. :)

This is a no brainer for me. It's coming out around November of this year. I'll be preordering first chance I get.

The 80 is discontinued. I'll be surprised if they discontinue the 83s vs logical price drops.

That's the same video processor, probably slightly refined, that the now completely obsolete $2000 Pioneer 09FD has. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a new chip. '

There WILL be an SE variant to this new 93 well into 2011 sometime.

I ordered an 83 direct from Oppo back in May of 09 in that first batch of preorders. I'll be selling it to upgrade to this. It's basically like new or close to it, I have all the literature, the box, the never opened calibration discs, cables, HDMI...seriously if anyone's interested drop me a PM.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered an 83 direct from Oppo back in May of 09 in that first batch of preorders. I'll be selling it to upgrade to this. It's basically like new or close to it, I have all the literature, the box, the never opened calibration discs, cables, HDMI...seriously if anyone's interested drop me a PM.

Damn, I wish I didn't already own a PS3.

I have a PS3 Slim. I use it for games and as backup. I never looked back once I had one of these.

Oh, it's not that I don't think Oppo would be a better Blu-Ray player. It's that my TV probably isn't good enough take advantage and most importantly, it'll be a hard sell to my better half since we already have a Blu-Ray player.

This is great news. I've just bought a Panasonic 65" plasma (the VT25 model) and was debating whether to bring my BDP-83 to Cayman (it's in my motorhome in the US now) or to possibly buy a different BluRay player. So I'll just leave the 83 in the road rig and buy a 93 for home.

One question though: does anyone know whether we'll be able to upgrade a 93 to the SE version when that becomes available? Or will the 93-SE be a completely different unit?

One question though: does anyone know whether we'll be able to upgrade a 93 to the SE version when that becomes available? Or will the 93-SE be a completely different unit?

Do you have in mind a higher-end player like the BDP-83SE once this model ships?

Yes. We are working on a higher-end model that will, unlike the BDP-83SE, be built from the ground up for a higher quality analogue audio level of performance among other improvements and upgrades. This product isn't yet scheduled for release, so it will be after the BDP-93 is well on the market.

To me, that answer seems to imply that the 93-SE will be a completely different unit...

To me, that answer seems to imply that the 93-SE will be a completely different unit...

Ya, that what I got from the article as well, although that wasn't the case with the 83 and 83-SE. If the 93-SE is a completely different unit, I may hold off until it comes out. I could bring my 83 to Cayman and use it in the meantime.

Ya, that what I got from the article as well, although that wasn't the case with the 83 and 83-SE. If the 93-SE is a completely different unit, I may hold off until it comes out. I could bring my 83 to Cayman and use it in the meantime.

I think that may be the safer option as the yet to be determined release date might have you waiting some time for it to come out.

A fellow Oppo 83 owner and a friend of mine wrote me this pretty good piece of devil's advocacy that cooled my jets a little bit:

The Oppos are always a great investment, not just because they're awesome players, but because they hold their resale value. I can't remember if I owned one or two before this (I believe it was one), but I basically got back my entire initial investment minus a few bucks reselling it on Amazon. I thought the BDP83 price was a little high at the start for my needs, but having to review BD's and having so many of those 1st even 2nd gen players be so unreliable mainly because of the format having to work its kinks out in the marketplace (and requiring firmware update), it was great to have one where updates were always issued and constantly. And also because the build quality of the player itself is just outstanding.

If I was into 3-D, I'd be a lot more excited about this; as it is, the whole uncertainty and the way they're working that with the respective TV manufacturers is a total joke. I also think the days of people watching 3-D for hours on end at home is, honestly, NEVER going to happen.

Beyond that, if someone didn't have Netflix, or wanted a device to stream their files from the PC and didn't have one -- I think it's great all of those things are being offered in one package. I just, personally, don't have a need for those functions as I have it covered already.

He makes good points. I couldn't give a rats ass about streaming or Netflix. I don't have 3D nor do I have any intentions of going 3D anytime soon, to say the least.

I think I like the physical appearance of my 83 a little better as well. We'll see what happens but I think I'm pretty much with this guy. If I sell my 83 for a good price then maybe that's one thing but I don't...I don't think I'll really care.