To 4070 or not?

shellylh

Having a pair of closed headphones that I really like would be very useful for a long lasting happy relationship with my husband. I really like the sound of the JH13's but don't really like having IEMs stuck in my ears.

I have been really enjoying my "new" Stax setup (404LE + KGSS) so the natural question is whether I should get a pair of 4070's. My main concern: fit. Having a woman's sized head, being that I am a woman, can be a problem. Oh yeah, and they are not exactly cheap but it would be worth the cost if it was something that I really used a lot. I assume that $1700 from Woo Audio is about the best price I am going to get.

Any comments?

I'd take up on Al's offer for a trial as they seem to be one of those love or hate headphones, along with the fact that they weight little over a pound not including the cable.

Also, with the recent string of updated/updating/upcoming Stax products, 4070 may very well be getting a facelift as well.

If the 4070s get a facelift, then the older model will suddenly drop in price on Yahoo Auctions too. I thought they were godly with vocals at the time I got to try them, but how I'd feel now after going through so many other headphones I don't know. Thirded about trying before you buy. Being rather un-coloured, I did find them rather brutal about the quality of everything else in the chain.

The 4070 isn't a normal Stax headphone by any means since it was designed under a contract of some sort. It's main use is monitoring for the large Japanese broadcast companies so they will probably stay the same.

We did know that there was a new, higher end, Omega coming for a few years now. The only issue was when exactly...

Second the "you should hear it first" advice.

Also, don't think you'll have any problem with fit.

Also, really need to watch Japanese/Merkin exchange rates -- I remember when $1200 was a good price for them. If you have any reason to believe that Japanese/Merkin exchange rates will do that again, wait for it.

Also, there are older models that are also closed -- if the 4070 do not work out, there are other choices.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

I went through the closed electrostatic decision process as well after waking my wife up one too many times while listening to the O2's. The 4070's are an excellent closed alternative to the O2's with a different presentation that is outlined clearly in other 4070 threads. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight of the 4070's if you can handle the LCD-2's. My only concern is the thought that the 4070 may be updated but I think Spritzer addressed that.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think that these will be a higher end model than the O2? The materials, assembly, and driver are both reminiscent of the omega and O2, which makes me wonder if this would be a replacement instead of a higher end model. From appearance, the arc assembly of the new model seems to be plastic like the SR-507, which isn't as nice looking at the O2.

The one thing i am very excited about in these new ones is the hinged earcups though! Should solve a lot of problematic fits for a lot of people and will require less messing around with earpad rotation, etc.

We did know that there was a new, higher end, Omega coming for a few years now. The only issue was when exactly...

Why would they continue making the previous generation oval drivers if they replaced them in every other model?

Because they already achieved what they went out to do (neutral/monitoring earspeakers) using the current drivers?

While I can see 4070 getting a facelift (be it cosmetic or functional), I can just as well see Stax not messing with them.

From appearance, the arc assembly of the new model seems to be plastic like the SR-507, which isn't as nice looking at the O2.

Agreed. The arc bit seems exactly the same, just the headpad and the swivel bit is different. In fact, just as I think the SR-507 is the ugliest black Lambda, the O3 (:D) seems to be the ugliest Omega.

I am going to borrow Al's pair. Thanks Al, your a pal.

That's good, Shelly... and good of Al. Be sure to listen to them for several hours at a time, if that's how you would intend to listen to them if you owned them. I don't find the weight to be distracting, but then again, I don't normally listen to any pair of headphones for more than one album at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had Al's pair of 4070's for over a week now (thanks again Al!). First off, I have had a heck of a time getting a fit. (The weight was fine however.) The only way that I can get any kind of "seal" is if I angle the headband towards the back of my head or use my hands to push the pads against my head. Obviously, both of these situations are not optimal so you should probably ignore anything I say from now on. Basically, the cans just aren't doing anything for me. I've spent some time, going back and forth listening to 4070s and the JH13s. There is just really no comparison (for me). The 4070s are technically pretty good, except maybe for the bass, but when I put on the JH13's, it is like I walked into the room where the music is playing instead of listening in the hall. I am sure that a lot of this has to do with the bad fit so, again, please ignore everything I am saying.

This exercise has been interesting. It has made me think that maybe I really should be getting a pair of JH16+3A (and keeping the JH13s for portable use of course). Hmmmmmm.