What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

*Anvil Hour*

Made two versions of the Chrysanthemum Cocktail , one with Dolin Dry and a sweeter one with Dolin Blanc. I made the one Dolin Blanc first and thought it was good but maybe a little too sweet. Then I made the "original" with Dolin Dry and thought it was better. However, going back and forth between the two, I think I prefer the sweeter Dolin Blanc. They are both really good though. Next time I will have to try 1/2 Blanc and 1/2 Dry. :) Cheers!

Chrysanthemum Cocktail

2 oz Dolin Dry or Blanc

1 oz Benedictine

1 tsp St. George Absinthe

aKuAQ.jpg

tezby.jpg

Edited by shellylh

Shelly - Actually it could work but I'm not sure of the proportions. 1:2 (Campari:Carpano) is probably as high as I would go. I will do a little taste test after I finish my Anvil # 24 Daiquiri

**2 oz light rum

**1 oz lime juice

**1/2 oz simple syrup

**a lime wedge (apply as garnish before serving).

Shake with ice and strain into an ice-filled wine glass. Add three drops of orange flower water on top.

IMG_0032.jpg

This is probably the best daiquiri I have ever had. The sample size is pretty small though. I have definitely changed my thoughts on the Tiki type drinks.

Jim: A taste test would be much appreciated.

I made another Chrysanthemum, this time with 1oz Dolin Blanc and 1oz Dolin Dry. Interestingly enough, I thought it was mediocre and didn't have the qualities that made the first two shine.

As the drinks are warming up, I am preferring the one made with Dolin Dry.

Edited by shellylh

So I tried 1/2 tsp Campari to 1 tsp Carpano audits too sweet. At 1 tsp each it tastes too much like Campari. The best I could do was back to the 1/2:1 with 3 dashes Angostura bitters. Still off but definitely closer.

Anvil # 30 El Diablo

1 1/2 oz. Tequila

1/2 oz. Cr

i don't care what it's won. it's dyed, and doesn't louche right. i think the problem is that the formula was developed before the Absinthe rebirth, when laws were relaxed, so it has the same problems as, say, Mari Mayans, which also won a bunch of awards, but isn't really real because it was developed at a time when it couldn't be.

What is the basis for saying it is dyed? The only indications I have seen would indicate otherwise. I haven't tried it in a louche and I am actually not so fond of it that I am trying to defend its name, but I am curious to know if that is true.

Now is the time when we Anvil:

Sherry Cobbler taken from Imbibe! by Wondrich

4 oz sherry

1 tablespoon superfine sugar (2 tsp because the sherry was not too dry)

2 orange slices

Shake with cracked ice and pour unstrained into glass. Artfully arrange the muddled orange slices and throw in some berries and a straw. Easy as pie. :)

web.jpg?ver=12942007300001

OK if you like the taste of sherry, which I mostly do not. 15 to go on the list. Working on another right now...

I don't think it sucks, but there wasn't anything to make me want to make it again for myself. I think it is good to have refreshing and lighter/lower alcohol options for people who drink less and this would be one I would make for such sissies. :P

Right now, I am joining Jim in an El Diablo using the same recipe. The new bottle of Fortaleza Reposado is super tasty, so that helps too. This was recommended by the owner of Cask and she knows her shit.

web.jpg?ver=12942038210001

Good choice on the reposada tequila Al. Will definitely try the La Partida reposada with this again. Anvil # 50 Margarita

**1 1/2 oz silver Tequila (I used anejo)

**1 oz triple sec (I used Clement Creole Shrub for variety)

**1/2 oz lime juice

Shake with ice and strain into a salt-rimmed and chilled cocktail glass.

IMG_0034.jpg

5326471534_b567549605_b.jpg

Blinker Cocktail using Mr. Boston's recipe

2 oz Wild Turkey Rye

1.5 oz grapefruit juice

1 tsp raspberry syrup

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish.

Nice after-taste but not as strong a bite as I expected. Using my great paper list, I still see 14 left to go, so my last update must have been wrong. I suck at maths.

I like the ghosting in that picture Al! Nice. ... :)

Yeah, Al is getting into fashion photography for cocktails. Al, did you intentionally use low aperture to get that shallow dof and nice bokeh?

Does this mean we need a new thread? Something like Images of Pretty Drinks, or maybe Umbrella Drinks on Parade? :)

do you think another half ounce of rye would break the balance of the drink?

Nope, because I splashed in a half ounce or so after taking a couple sips. :) The Blinker in the Stork Club Bar Book has 1.5 rye, .75 grapefruit, with a dash of grenadine. That sounds better to me.

I like the ghosting in that picture Al! Nice.

I just counted and I still have 60 left. :palm: Work tends to really get in the way of my hobbies. :)

This isn't a hobby, it's a quest!

Yeah, Al is getting into fashion photography for cocktails. Al, did you intentionally use low aperture to get that shallow dof and nice bokeh?

Does this mean we need a new thread? Something like Images of Pretty Drinks, or maybe Umbrella Drinks on Parade? :)

I wish I could take credit for the settings, but to my daughter's horror I was using the auto setting on the 5D. I was going for this effect and took 3-4 shots and chose this one for the right angle and DOF/bokeh.

Edited by Voltron

That is a nice looking Blinker Al.

Started today early with a before dinner aperitif. Anvil # 6 Aperol Spritz

2 oz. Prosecco or other sparkling wine

1 1/2 Aperol Orange Liqueur

1 dash(es) Soda or Seltzer

The perfect Spritz is prepared in a wine glass, or rock glass. Add ice, Prosecco, dash of seltzer and top with Aperol. This is to avoid that the Aperol settles on the bottom. Garnish with a slice of orange.

I doubled the above amounts.

IMG_0035.jpg

10 more to go.