What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Brancaia Tre-- cause they were out of the blue-- Rosso Toscana. After about an hour or two of breathing this is some pretty decent stuff and very reasonably priced. Shelly and Jacob you shoould check this out, a nice complementary blend of Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, mellowed out in oak. Would go well with you grilled steaks and Shelly's pizza.

It's on my list! I like steaks too.

Saint Croix Rum Fix

So, I tried this three times. First went down the drain, second was what the author recommended, and third IMHO is the best. Listed in this order below:

2 oz rum (Cruzan Black Strap, Cruzan Estate Dark, Plantation Grande Reserve)

0.5 oz homemade pineapple syrup

Juice of 1/2 a lemon

2 cubes cane sugar, 2 cubes cane sugar, 2 tsp white sugar

Combine and stir to devolve. Serve on crushed ice.

4ac15198-ace7-d441.jpg

Marc - I make my grenadine a little less sweet as I like it to have more of a pomegranate taste. That being said the secret cocktail was not my favorite.

Nice manly drink there pirate Al ..... Aaarrggh!

Anvil # 59 Morning Glory (Fizz)

Based upon the ingredients listed in the Anvil list this is the Morning Glory Fizz and not the Morning Glory Cocktail.

Juice of 1/2 lemon or a lime. (I used lime)

**1/4 oz powdered sugar

**an egg white

**2 dashes absinthe

**1 1/2 oz Scotch whisky

Shake and strain into tumbler.

Fill with seltzer.

IMG_0031.jpg

This is OK but so far the Jack Rose wins tonight.

Edited by morphsci

* have you had the Emilio Moro Crianza, Ribera del Duero*

I am really lacking in the Spanish wine category. The only two I have had in recent memory are the Clio and the Paco and Lola both were excellent and and very different.

Further to the manly drinks...

hulk_smash_poster-p228346314618490048tdcp_400.jpg

Hulk Whiskey Smash!

Dissolve 1 tsp of sugar in a similar amount of water, add several sprigs of mint, SMASH! mint until flavour is extracted. Draw out the sprigs of mint, add one wine glass (2oz) of whiskey (or brandy or whatever, depending on what kind of smash you are making), shake or stir well, and pour into wine glass half full of ice, then decorate with fruits in season.

web.jpg?ver=12941200110001

Simple and surprisingly tasty. Hulk like!

web.jpg?ver=12941237110001

Bourbon Toddy

Unlike Jerry Thomas, the Stork Club Bar Book of 1946 has this drink on the rocks and that far better suits my mood. Plus, the ingredients are far more interesting. Here is the recipe and the rest of what the Stork has to say about the beverage:

"The approach of the dinner hour, which in New York varies between seven o'clock and midnight, is the signal for unloosing Niagras of Scotch and soda and cloudbursts of Martinis and Old Fashioneds. And if you object to the fruit salad, festoons of maraschino cherries, flotsam and jetsam of orange rind and canopies of Japanese parasols and American flags which are served with old fashioneds in many places, it is possible to obviate all this nuisance value by simply asking for a bourbon toddy. At Jack Bleeck's Artists and Writers Saloon hard by the Herald Tribune and in such Hollywood outposts as Mike Romanoff's and Dave Chasen's, it is known for no discoverable reason as a "gag", but its common term is bourbon toddy an by such it goes elsewhere in the land"

1 lump of sugar saturated with Angostura bitters [i used Jerry Thomas's Own Decanter Bitters as an homage to the creator]

twist of lemon

2 oz [Parker's Heritage wheated] bourbon

1 oz water

2 cubes ice

The sugar should be ground to syrup in the water with a muddler and the whiskey and ice cubes added after that.

In its origin and, the the minds of gastronomic purists, the cocktail was originally intended as a brief drink, a quick aperitif to stimulate the appetite and stiffen the flagging gustatory senses, but it has passed into accustomed usage as a drink to be absorbed in considerable quantity despite the admonitions of the judicious."

I love this book that my sister got me for $10 at a vintage shop in Minneapolis, and which I saw at Cask in SF for $250 to other day. Good stuff.

Jerry also lists all of the Toddys as either cold or hot. It was in the teens the other night so hot suited me. I do agree that some bitters may have been good in there. That sounds like a really cool book Al, I will keep an eye out for a copy at less than $250.

Also for the cocktail family I just bought some recreated Bokers Bitters at Cocktail Kingdom.

i finally opened some babyfood jars that Marc sent me (which reminds me that i gotta send some shit to him), so i'm having some St. George Absinthe with a little water and a single ice cube. really nice. this is a real, un-dyed, un-fucked with absinthe that louches easily at the right temp and tastes good, unlike that Emile Pernot crap that some of y'all like. i think i prefer lucid, but i'd have to have them back to back. it's really nice, and a stiff drink is just what i needed.

Emile Pernot Vieux Pontarlier 65 Absinthe

Double Gold, SF World Spirits Competition Since 2001, and 5 STARS from F. Paul Pacult, the Emile Pernot Distillery has created and distilled several absinthes that are considered among the best artisanal absinthes in the world. Vieux Pontarlier Absinthe Fran

Question for Jim and Al (and perhaps others): I was planning on making a Red Hook but it calls for Punt e Mes and I don't have any. Would it be reasonable to add some Campari or to Carpano Antica to substitute Punt e Mes (something like 1:1 or 1:2 Campari to Carpano ratio)?

Authentic Austin Sweet and Sour Mix

1/2 tsp Chef Adam Gonzales Sweet and Sour Mix from the Live Music Capital of the World

1 oz water

Stir. Makes 1 oz mix

The Fogcutter

1 oz white rum

1/2 oz gin

1/2 oz brandy

1/2 oz sweet and sour mix

1/4 oz simple syrup

Combine with ice and blend. Float cherry brandy on top (added two dashes of cherry bitters to the blender and garnished with a cherry)

4ac15198-e1f9-f547.jpg