Speakers up to $1500

DigiPete

I'd agree that the Studio 60 is a very good speaker. I think it's the best (Performance/Price) in the Studio line.

There's also the Revel F-12 to consider. I haven't heard it myself, but there has been enough squawking in the press that I would put it on my list to audition.

706revel.1.jpg

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/706revel/

• 1 month later...

Any thoughts on the

Onix Rockets RS series like the 760

Swans Diva 6.2f

Axiom M80 v.2 ?

I've been putting together a new HT setup and considered all three of the speakers you mention. Here's my brief thoughts on all of them:

The Rockets are nice speakers, albeit it a bit laid back, but really the sole reason why I passed on them is the matching center channel. It's absolutely huge and would in no way fit on either shelf of my TV stand. That may sound trivial, but it was a deal breaker for me.

The 6.2 is from the "new" Swan line right? I've only heard the older Swan line-up and I hope they aren't still using the same piece of shit tweeter the older ones used. If they are using a different tweeter they might be worth checking out as I thought the original Swan's were a good bargain except for the tweeter.

I've heard a good bit of the Axiom line-up and have owned a pair of M22ti's for a few years now and I have always liked them for their detail and neutrality. However they can be very bright and that is the main reason why I didn't strongly consider getting a pair of their towers to use as my main speakers.

What I did end up getting are a pair of Quad 22L and the matching L-centre center channel. The 22L are a really nice sounding pair of speakers and the finish on them is stunning for the price. I'll post some pics when I get my camera back and I'll post more impressions in the near future.

• 7 months later...

Well,

After a moment of weakness in my resolve not to spend money...

I went ahead and got the Paradigm Ref Studio 100s off of Agon.

I heard them through a NAD master series pre amp (I think) and amp and they were magical.

Very analog sounding on the CDs, but detailed. Superb imaging, they just sounded right.

I'll post pics with them bedded down and impressions later :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well,

I went ahead and got the Paradigm Ref Studio 100s off of Agon.

Those Studio 100's are terrific speakers and very versatile. I've heard people try to knock them, but I think that's because they aren't esoteric or expensive enough. I compared them at length to some significantly more costly models and thought they held their own, very impressive sound. Not to mention they can play very, very loud! Good choice.

Those Studio 100's are terrific speakers and very versatile. I've heard people try to knock them, but I think that's because they aren't esoteric or expensive enough. I compared them at length to some significantly more costly models and thought they held their own, very impressive sound. Not to mention they can play very, very loud! Good choice.

Welcome to head-case! :)