2011 CA Audio Show (NorCal) and THE Show (SoCal)

Asr

Thanks for the pics & impressions of the THE show, what about more overall show impressions? Was it well-organized? Any aspects they could've done better (or conversely did really well), trends observed, etc? What was the venue like? Too small, too large, etc? Any comparisons to other audio shows if anyone has attended others? Anyone ask any vendors what they thought of the show? Was it worth the time & money? All that kind of stuff.

Not sure if I'm going to bother attending the CA Audio Show next month now (would rather spend my time exploring SF) but if a good number of HC folks are going to be there I'll stop by.

Edited by Asr

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if I'm going to bother attending the CA Audio Show next month now (would rather spend my time exploring SF) but if a good number of HC folks are going to be there I'll stop by.

For me personally, the whole thing was made worth it by the opportunity to hear Sanders Sound electrostats. I love 'stats in headphone and speaker world, and Sanders is not unreasonably priced considering the included active crossover and bass amp. It also happens to have overcome many weaknesses of traditional 'stats, including low sensitivity, huge panel size, loudness, and most of all panel/woofer incoherency of some *other* hybrids. I will get myself a pair some day.

As far as other rooms, the great sounding rooms unfortunately came with huge pricetags as usual, so they do not have real-world application for mere mortals anyway. Many/most rooms actually sounded pretty good to decent, surprising for show conditions, and some rooms were quite thrilling. The whole show was quite fun and definitely worth my time.

This video is of me having a good old time in Burmester room.

Edited by Jon L

It also happens to have overcome many weaknesses of traditional 'stats, including low sensitivity, huge panel size, loudness, and most of all panel/woofer incoherency of some *other* hybrids.

I have traditional 'stat speakers, and have literally none of those issues. 6ft isn't that tall and it's full range.

Thanks for the response Jon L, just looking for as many opinions of the show as possible, to decide if I'm going to attend next year.

And excellent report there Tyll, really enjoyed reading that. It answers a lot of questions I had and really makes me want to make it out for next year's. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Just wondering if any HC folks are planning on going to the California Audio Show next weekend?

I'll be there on Sat for sure (Sunday's a maybe).

I'm going to hook up with some of the Tape Project/Bottlehead folks at the Marutani Consulting room at about noon.

If you happen to be there for the show on Saturday, come on by and maybe we can all go out for lunch.

I ended up deciding not to attend the show and bought tickets for touristy stuff instead, but since I'll be in the area anyway, I'm definitely up for lunch, or dinner, or drinks. Just let me know a time/place and I'll be there. Hopefully not too far from SF though (or BART/Caltrain stops) since I'm staying in the city and won't have a car. Going to be in the area 7/13-17 so if anyone would like to meet up, let me know, I'll buy a round or two. ;)

Edited by Asr

I'm in for Saturday as well.

As a heads up for the undecided - you have until 9PM PST, today to save $10 (Enough for a Double-Double Animal Style at the nearby IN-N-OUT :) )

$10 per 3-Day Pass via advance online registration. $20 at the door cash only.

ALERT: 2nd CAS online registration to close on 7/13 9pm PST.

See you there!

Abbreviated visit and my first 'speaker' show. Surprised at the difference from 'phone' meets (mostly in logistics and branding). Rooms overall small so sweet spots tend to be also (thus difficult to hear), but highlights on either end were a Napa Acoustic/Mistral $600 NA-208A amp/NA-208S speaker mini system and the 'big sound' Sony SS-AR1s (powered by Pass Labs mono-blocks). Also a little insight into Blue Coast recording techniques and DSD.

Edited by blessingx

I had a great time listening and yakin' to friends old and new.

So good in fact, that I'm heading up there again today.

Highlights for me were Marutani Consulting who were getting great sound from the Magicos. Also Bob Hodas' room was getting fantastic sound (even though I wasn't crazy about the speakers).

I really went to listen to some cartridges and didn't really come to any solid conclusions. Maybe today?