Most repayable games?

postjack

I am just finishing up Mass Effect for the first time, and immediately wanted to replay it as a different character. I love RPGs that have really high replay value. I think ME will be good for at least another good play through.

This got me thinking about other games I've owned (specifically RPGs) and whether or not it was fun to replay them. IMO the grandmaster of all replayable games is Oblivion. Not only because of the huge amount of mods available, but also because of the many different ways you can play your character, and the ease with which one can RP.

Then there is the flip side, Fallout 3. Fantastic game, but after I finished it I just wasn't compelled to play it through again. There are certain abilities I knew I would just have to have, i.e. small guns, and certain quests you just have to do right off the bat. I guess as fun as the game is it lacks the depth of Oblivion, IMO.

So what games did you find compelling and deep enough to play over and over? For me the only games I really play are RPGs, but feel free to discuss any genre.

I would say most good RPGs (aka not the majority of JRPGs tongue.png )

Quiet you undecided.gif

Nox (criminally under rated)

Yes! I used to play the shit out of that game.

I'm pretty sure I have the discs for it somewhere around here I could send you, if you wanted to try it out, Jack.

The only games I go back over-and-over again tend to be competitive multiplayer, so mostly FPSes (TF2, L4D2).

You might get some mileage out of Vampire: Bloodlines. Game feels very different playing a Malk vs a Tremere or Toreador/Brujah. Deux Ex: Human Revolution might be fun for one or two playthroughs, but most people are just playing hardmode, stealth/hacking (which works well until you get into the boss fights).

ME2 is even better than ME1 for replayability. Soldier, Vanguard, and Adept are probably the three polar opposites in gameplay experience.

I have to agree with Postjack, Oblivion was the game that I kept playing over and over, due to the variety of characters, quests, add ons and ways that you can play.

And Fallout 3 was okay, but definitely doesn't have the replayability of Oblivion. That is why I'm looking forward to the release of Skyrim.

Other than that, I find myself keep being drawn to the Call of Duty multiplayer games.

I never really could get into Oblivion, if only because of it's fundamentally broken levelling system. Being a JRPG player where levelling up is generally a mandatory exercise... going into a RPG where levelling up actually hinders you is something very difficult to work with.

I never really could get into Oblivion, if only because of it's fundamentally broken levelling system. Being a JRPG player where levelling up is generally a mandatory exercise... going into a RPG where levelling up actually hinders you is something very difficult to work with.

I ended up modding Oblivion for this reason. There are a lot of different ways to make the game more traditional feeling in it levelling. My answer was to make it so I always got the option to add +5 to any attribute, so long as I leveled a skill within the attribute at least once. This way my character actually grew stronger as the game progressed.

Have you tried mass effect 2 yet? I thought it was a lot funner than the first mass effect and ended up playing through it multiple times.

no but i definitely will. just thought i'd break up the game cycle but taking on Dragon Age next. ME2 is most likely next after that, unless I just play DA until Skyrim comes out. once skyrim comes out i probably won't need another game for 5-10 years. just kidding but seriously i played the shit out of oblivion. only other game i can think thats taken up as much time (this side of WoW, which doesn't count) is the first three Civilization games. I remember being in grade school and literally playing Civ 1 until the sun came up.

However compelling the story/mechanics/etc. of the games, I really haven't been able to replay most games of late. I think big part of it that I just don't spend as much time playing games as I once did. Of course, I reserve my right to change my post/opinion until I finally get around to playing CivIV.

Definitely any Elder Scrolls game. Ditto on Deus Ex - I don't know how many times I replayed it, but it was a lot. Atmospheric single-player games like that are always enjoyable to replay as long as you give them enough time to not make them feel repetitive. I'd add to that Thief 1 and 2, as well as System Shock 2; they're not quite as polished as Deus Ex but even more atmospheric if anything.

I also really liked Gothic 1 and 2. I never played 3 or 4 but the combination of atmosphere, great world-building, interesting and actually intelligent dialogue, and unpredictable story (at least in the first game) really carried these games despite the endless bugs and clunky controls.

Of course, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is still the biggest time-waster known to man. "Addicting" doesn't even begin to describe it. Too bad that the sequels sucked (well 4 was ok). I have little hope for the latest version, whenever that comes out.

Yes! I used to play the shit out of that game.

I'm pretty sure I have the discs for it somewhere around here I could send you, if you wanted to try it out, Jack.

I reinstalled and started playing as a warrior, even though I have been meaning to try conjurer. So far just as fun as I remember, at the orc village now.

The Eastern Europe dev houses produce some really unique stuff, but it's always bugged to hell (Stalker, Gothic, etc). I want to give Gothic 3 a go with the fan made patches, IMO the combat in this series is so much better than the awkward combat in the Elder Scrolls games.

I reinstalled and started playing as a warrior, even though I have been meaning to try conjurer. So far just as fun as I remember, at the orc village now.

The Eastern Europe dev houses produce some really unique stuff, but it's always bugged to hell (Stalker, Gothic, etc). I want to give Gothic 3 a go with the fan made patches, IMO the combat in this series is so much better than the awkward combat in the Elder Scrolls games.

The fan patches basically save the game. Well worth your time. Check Risen out as well if you haven't already.

Recently finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I'm itching to go through again. I got through the first time using a mix of stealth and straight up firefighting, but I'm thinking of doing a full stealth run. It's quite a fun game smile.png

Same here. Certainly not perfect (nothing is) but I think the game is fantastic and thus far my personal GOTY. They got "Deus Ex" right. Full stealth at max difficulty through the entire game and no lethals is going to be quite a challenge. You get a special achievement for no killing throughout the entire game and you rack up XPs and bonuses if you make it through without setting off alarms and such.

Easier said than done. I'm very eager to see where things go next with this series.

Other games I pretty much never stop playing as of late are Fallout 3 and especially Fallout: New Vegas. I play a lot of these games on the PC so the amount of mods that come out for those games and Oblivion pretty much assures that I'll never stop playing them entirely, at least until their sequels come out.

Skyrim will own me this winter.

• 3 months later...