Need to get an SR-007 MK1 fixed

anetode

I'm having trouble with intermittent signal loss due to problem at strain relief/cable entry. If I hold the cable near the strain relief and twist it, I can get the signal back, so naturally I'm guessing that something is loose. The problem is that I have no idea how to take the strain relief apart, let alone any experience with a soldering iron to fix it. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to get this fixed? I've noticed that Yama's is not the best place to go, and besides this pair is beyond its Japanese-only warranty period. I'm cool with a whole recable or something like that, but I don't see any examples of work done on any of the small-time headphone cabling shops I've found online. APS has done some retermination work for stats, but that's about it.

I've pulled my sr007 apart. If i'm on the same page with you here, you'll have to disassemble your driver housing to get inside the piece you're looking at. Not a very minor job.

Yamas wanted $1800 for driver replacement (replaced with mk2)... more expensive than just getting another sr007 mk1. They're awful and should be bypassed whenever possible.

Find a DIY friend. Probably do not ask someone you do not know. Another idea is to contact APS. Good luck.

I don't have a DIY buddy, this thread was me asking people I do not know undecided.gif

Yamas wanted $1800 for driver replacement (replaced with mk2)... more expensive than just getting another sr007 mk1.

The drivers themselves are fine, it's the cable connection that's cutting out. From some of the posts I've researched this can be blamed on poor strain relief.

Stax have been laying down the law as of late so sourcing parts is getting more and more difficult. If you can get a replacement cable then the swap is easy enough but the common rules about working up close and personal with electrostatic drivers have to followed to the letter.

Are there any handling precautions or, better still, actual physical precautionary mods that can be done to a pair that is in good working order to lessen the risk?

What I do is use the SRE-725 extension so there is plenty of slack on the cable and you never have to worry about running out/snags/etc

Thanks all for the suggestions. It looks like there's no easy solution, so I'm going to keep my eyes peeled on replacement cables hitting up the marketplaces, and try to solicit a few pro modders/recablers to see if they're willing to take on the project. Otherwise, it's really about time I got some tools and learned how to work on replacing parts.

The UK service guys have been pretty responsive and helpful in the past so it is well worth it to contact them.

I would stay away from pretty much all of the cable guys since they have zero soldering skill. Soldering these cables is no joke as you are soldering directly to a high precision driver and excessive heat, flux castoff etc. will destroy the drivers. There is a reason why I use a soldering station with very high temperature stability... :)