Audeze LCD-3

johnwmclean

If you meant it the other way around, they were offering people that bought the LCD-2 R1 in a time frame near the R2 release to send their phones in to get the R2 upgrade (free).

I assume he meant this way. I do remember seeing a couple people mention that they refused to replace the drivers when they bought R1's close to the R2 release date but from my recollection that was all sorted out.

As to the "how do you know" the pads are fairly self-evident. As for FR/amounts of wonk: The opinions on the LCD-3 thus far seem polarizing. The LCD-3's I have on hand sound worse than my LCD-2's, yet Don swears by his pair. That's reason to send them in. If people send them in and get replacements with the same problems, that's when Audeze will be in trouble.

I assume he meant this way. I do remember seeing a couple people mention that they refused to replace the drivers when they bought R1's close to the R2 release date but from my recollection that was all sorted out.

That was my experience wanted me to purchase new drivers plus all the shipping costs. I was not amused. With all the LCD3 situation as well its put me off buying and more Audeze products for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

I heard Purrin's pair at Frank Cooter's house last Tuesday. I used the Burmester CDII demo disc for my listening. The setup was a CD transport (older model, can't remember the brand) running into an AudioNote DAC into Frank's 45 tube-based amp. The headphones sounded nice, with the best bass I've heard from any headphones. I thought that maybe, just maybe, I occasionally heard a "resonance" in the left channel, but it easily could have been my imagination. Neither Frank nor I thought that the sound was veiled.

The only real negatives I have to say about the LCD-3 are that it's really heavy and it clamps way too tightly. Oh yeah, the price is too high.

Frank listened to both the LCD-3 and my HD800. He liked both quite a bit. I didn't have time to listen to my HD800 in this system. Hopefully I'll have another chance soon.

I heard Purrin's pair at Frank Cooter's house last Tuesday. I used the Burmester CDII demo disc for my listening. The setup was a CD transport (older model, can't remember the brand) running into an AudioNote DAC into Frank's 45 tube-based amp. The headphones sounded nice, with the best bass I've heard from any headphones. I thought that maybe, just maybe, I occasionally heard a "resonance" in the left channel, but it easily could have been my imagination. Neither Frank nor I thought that the sound was veiled.

Did you listen to them without purrin's TP mod?

I've heard his specific pair, with....and without the mod. Night and day difference....definitely in favor of the mod.

Did you listen to them without purrin's TP mod?

I've heard his specific pair, with....and without the mod. Night and day difference....definitely in favor of the mod.

I heard them as is. I have no idea whether the mod is there or not.

Is this typical "night and day" audio speak as used by reviewers? You know:

"subtle difference" = I could hear no difference.

"night and day" = There might have been a subtle difference, but I'm not sure.

I'm not trying to put you down, but I've heard a lot of things modded and unmodded and at all times, the mod produced at best a subtle change, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

I heard them as is. I have no idea whether the mod is there or not.

Then you heard them with the TP mod intact. Too bad you didn't get an opportunity to hear that specific pair in stock form. You'd then know what I'm talking about. In stock form, IMHO, that headphone was not listenable to. A muddied mess.

Then you heard them with the TP mod intact. Too bad you didn't get an opportunity to hear that specific pair in stock form. You'd then know what I'm talking about. In stock form, IMHO, that headphone was not listenable to. A muddied mess.

Then he would most likely have one of the veiled pairs. Kudos to purrin for being able to "fix" his pair with such an easy method. That said, the difference in FR graphs with and without the TP mod isn't night and day to my eyes.

I understand. But the person with which I was mostly conversing said it was his opinion. He deserves credit for that. I don't disagree that the TP mod makes purrin's headphones sound better, I was just complaining about the hyperbole. "Night and day difference" may be the most poorly and overused description in all of audiodom! laugh.png

Noticeable yes. Night and day no. It won't make a good headphone out of a bad headphone. That would be night and day.

I don't know if the TP mod makes a time/weather changing difference or not, I thought it was significant. But in general, changing damping materials in an ortho can definitely take them from bad to good, or even...fantabulous. The LCD-3 was already damped at least decently, but some of the vintage orthos have little or none.

I don't know if the TP mod makes a time/weather changing difference or not, I thought it was significant. But in general, changing damping materials in an ortho can definitely take them from bad to good, or even...fantabulous. The LCD-3 was already damped at least decently, but some of the vintage orthos have little or none.

It's basically the equivalent of -2.5db @100Hz with a Q of 0.5 and +2 @6Khz with a Q of 1.2 on a parametric EQ. Basically an overall -4db reversal of the "Audeze shelf." Significant is a good word. The "night-and-day" thing was just a better way of saying it no longer sounded like shit, but actually quite nice.

Edited by purrin