Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

www.Head-Case.org

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

nikongod

High Rollers
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by nikongod

  1. My searches all turn up stuff in the 40-50mm range. I "picked" my camera by seeing it on CL and saying "ooh, $15 and will work without the un-obtainable mercury battery." http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Camerapedia Is awesome for specs and stuff. If you want to borrow mine let me know.
  2. M-lens on a Nikon will not focus to infinity. Voigtlander makes a few M-mount cameras that wont set you back more than a few hundred dollars - the Bessa R2 is cheap as dirt if you can find one. B&H has a used R2a (with aperture priority) for $400. If your comfy with full manual I'd wait for an older and cheaper R2 to come around. Voigtlander has a SERIOUS advantage over Leica in that the flash sink is 1/125 or better. Leica seriously sucks with 1/50sec. That extra stop can be nice if you want to play with fill flash in daylight. On that note The bessa does not feel like a Leica in the hand so just get an M6, keep it pristine (or buy a beater and just deal with it) and flip it at the end of the class. An M2 or M4 would also be on the list, with a handheld light meter. The shoe-mount-meters (voigtlander, Sekonic, Gossen) are quite easy to use once you get the hang of it. I like that you can meter with the handheld with your camera in the bag (or dangling around your neck which is almost equally stealth), set the camera without lifting it to your eye which is very stealth, pull it out and snap in about 3 seconds. If you are comfy with an external meter (will your class require to do this anyways? I find using the external meter forces me to pay more attention to the light, which is always good too - just a weird psychological thing I guess) you could also go REALLY old school with one of the 1960-70's era Japanese fixed lens rangefinders. These cameras have really nice lenses ignoring the $10-50 they usually cost. Considering the $10-50 they cost this is an extremely solid option. As an added bonus a lot of these cameras use leaf-shutters which sink at any shutter speed (even 1/500 sec!) so they open LOTS of options for flash in daylight. My facebook album "Wandering NYC 4/14-4/15" was shot entirely with a Minolta Himatic 7 that I bought for $15. I LaLaLove my M3, but the 50mm frames can be kind of hard to see with my glasses on. The lack of reasonable 35mm options is kind of a killer for me because 35mm is my normal.
  3. Christmas In Rockefeller Center by Lord Nikon 12, on Flickr
  4. Can you return it for a different one? If its normal for those things to make some noise and potting the inductors usually solves it: Devcon 2-ton epoxy. It will never melt and should flow into voids better than hot glue.
  5. Very nice! I now want to do something like that with my headphones. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_nikon_12/8247814113/'> http://www.flickr.com/photos/lord_nikon_12/8247814113/'>Sunrise over GWB by http://www.flickr.com/people/lord_nikon_12/'>Lord Nikon 12, on Flickr
  6. This is not news to anyone with functional hearing.
  7. Happy Birthday Todd!
  8. Happy Birthday Tom!
  9. Happy Birthday Dave!
  10. D700, came yesterday I had put it on an old film body a while ago and just giggled at how insanely wide it is. Actually shooting it very clearly shows how unworthy I am. I'm going to spend some more time trying to get used to the lens, but I'm already really comfy with 21mm. Since this lens has a 21mmFOV on APSc it was perfect on my old camera.
  11. Does anyone want a 14mmF2.8 Rokinon (Samyang) lens? It may be a little too hardcore for me on fullframe, but I really liked it on APS-c. Check out some crazytoast photos people have taken with it here... http://www.flickr.com/groups/14/
  12. I think you mentioned elsewhere that you would be shooting your very young relatives with this setup. Anything to keep dirty little hands away from the front elements of my lenses is worth it. I'm hopelessly frugal, so would go for a Tiffen UV filter, but whatever.
  13. Happy Birthday Gene!
  14. pick me, pick me!
  15. Happy Birthday!
  16. I finished Catch-22 sunday night. Wow, it was amazing. The whole premise of the book was cool, and the conflicting arguments were amazing if somewhat scary at times. I was particularly scared by the interrogation scenes. The whole thing seems very morally wrong, and yet doesnt seem too far from the realm of possibility.
  17. Happy Birthday Bryan!
  18. *Random* noise is almost always 6db (twice as much) worse on an active balanced output as compared to an active SE output. This is one of the objectivist camp's big bitching points against balanced speaker/headphone drive. The few exceptions to the noise rule use transformer coupled outputs, which so rarely measure well enough to even bother consideration for measurement by the objectivists that they don't acknowledge their existence. With very very very sensitive headphones the difference in noise can be significant.
  19. I'm holding out for the VR version so I can shoot handheld. Damn, thats hawt On a more serious note, I love my tripod like a fat kid loves cake. And all of my flashes too. I think I may like my flashes more than my tripod, but only just barely. What is more love than how a fat kid loves cake? That is how I feel about my flashes, my feelings for my tripods have not changed.
  20. Happy Birthday!
  21. Gobble Gobble
  22. Happy Birthday JP!
  23. Happy Birthday!
  24. nikongod replied to Dusty Chalk's topic in Miscellaneous
    Do any of you guys know of a decent place to get a watch CLA'd? I would like to put my Fortis back into daily wear, but it looses time like a Rolex. Like minutes/day - when new it was 4secfast/day
  25. The drivers are glued together like newer Grado drivers. If you have undone all of the screws a turn or so you may need to push the drivers out from the back. I would not advocate it in any case unless something is BEHIND the drivers. For gunk IN the drivers - between the ear-side of the driver and where the mesh should be, I'm not sure that there is a fix.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.