Everything posted by TMoney
-
Senn HD700 Preview. $1000
Heh, I think you are correct. It looks like something google translate spit out.
-
Happy Birthday Grawk
Happy birthday to everyone's favorite Admin!
-
Happy Birthday SWT61
Happy Birthday, amigo!
-
The Headcase Stax thread
The nice thing for beginning Stax buyers is that the used market for amps is seemingly on the verge of being flooded with all the amps people have been using while waiting (in vain?) for Justin's giant BHSE allotment. Kidding about the vain part, but seriously... most of his buyers seem to have amps currently that they aren't going to see much use for once the BHSE comes around. If I had any extra Stax amps I'd try and move them now before the surge comes. If I was looking to buy... well... I'd say three, four months from now used prices on amps might bottom out.
-
The Headcase Stax thread
Thanks, Spritzer. Keep us posted if you find a track. When you give the 009s some time try listening more on the quiet end up the spectrum as an experiment and see if they can fight their way to more time in your headphone rotation.
-
The Headcase Stax thread
Mini-meets, my good friend. I've always lived in/near major metropolitan areas so I've usually been able to find people who have the gear I want to check out. That way I can bring my own headphones/source/music/etc and listen in as controlled an environment as is practical. The other thing is I've been able to identify other people with whom I almost always agree with in terms of taste. Pretty much all of them are over here and not at the other site, natch.
-
Making a Head-Case Wine?
If you guys are looking to go higher end than the growers listed in catalog on the Crushpad website then I may be able to help. My best friend's Dad owns a substantial vineyard (>100) acres in Calistoga (north part of napa valley) and grows all of the red varietals needed for doing a meritage-type wine (Cab, Merlot, Cab Franc, Petit Verdot, etc.) as well as a number of white varietals. Their vinyard sells 80% of their crop each year to other wine makers and bottles the remaining 20% under their own label. To give you an idea of the price/quality, their buyers include Caymus, Phelps, and Lewis Cellars. Price might start to become prohibitive buying from them (>$60-bottle for the finished product) so it'd probably be best to head in another direction but I thought I'd throw that out there in case your other alternatives don't work out. On the other hand, if you want to make something of fairly high quality and the $60-$80 per bottle price point isn't totally prohibitive, then I might be able to help out.
-
The Headcase Stax thread
You wouldn't happen to have a music file or sound file that you've heard this effect on, have you? I'm going to be able to compare my 009s with 007mk1s at a mini-meet in the in the near future and it'd be interesting to see if we can recreate the effect that you are hearing.
-
The Headcase Stax thread
100% agreed. The sad thing is that the scrubs over on the other site are making serious purchasing decisions based on the meet opinions of others. I mean, trying to evaluate gear yourself in meet conditions is bad enough. Relying on the hearsay opinions of others who have listened to unfamiliar gear in a noisy environment seems to be nuts for anything other than identifying lemons.
-
The Headcase Stax thread
I wonder if Tyll's observations about the acoustic reflex in this article (http://www.innerfide...oud-music-sucks) might be why you and others are hearing the original Omega and 009 as bright? FWIW, when I rock out and listen to the 009 above 80dB I tend to think it sounds like shit. Very bright, very clear shit. When I listen at my normal volume level of 68-72dB the 009 sounds like heaven. Maybe the changing frequency sensitivity at higher volumes explains why the 007 (and LCD2) sound so good for rocking out? EDIT: Maybe this is also why people like the Cavalli amp at meets as people usually listen at a higher than normal level to compensate.
-
What are you listening to Part the Third
My Warriors are on the national telecast tonight so I've got the volume on mute and this playing in the background while I get my hoops fix: Really, one of the greatest live albums ever assembled. Phenomenal every time I put it on.
-
DRC Anyone?
Ha. Saw the title of the thread and thought you were talking about this: In any case, I'll be interested about hearing about your progress and impressions. Good luck.
-
[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
It would be nice to just ban these people and delete their threads rather than have the crappy threads hang around "polluting" the site.
-
A Bay Area Meet on 2-11-12.
Have a good meet, all. Hope Al's T2 makes an appearance.
-
Where the Buffalo roam
+1 on the build. Very nice.
-
Starting to really hate that other site...
Wow. Just wow. Read this thread over on the other site: http://www.head-fi.org/t/593135/returning-to-headfi-electrostatic-rig-suggestions/45 My goodness. I don't know why I even bother to read things over there anymore. Spritzer, I don't always agree with your tastes in sound but I think there you were 100% in the right there. It's a shame the thread got closed down because I'd love to blast Jude for his posts. Bullcrap products and posts can and should be called out for what they are. It's a disservice to newer members to let some of the nut-cases over there run wild. It's sad to see some of those people taken seriously when its pretty clear they do not have a clue what they are talking about. People over the other site don't seem to understand that there are such a thing as bad amp designs, bad products, and hence bad sound. I 100% agree that people unfamiliar with a transducer (like the 009) who listen to it on unfamiliar gear for 5-10 minutes at a meet rarely have worthwhile opinions. I don't even understand how that point can be argued? I usually appreciate Jude for trying to be a nice guy but boy does he come off as being clueless here. For as much time as he spends with this stuff you think he'd bother to learn a thing or two about electronics and amp design. A Woo WES doesn't care what box its in or whether it was made by Woo or not. Also, what is up with NoNoNoNoNoNo? Guy seems like a total d-bag.
-
Neil Young claims he was working on an audiophile iPod with Steve Jobs
Totally agree with you, Tyll. Well mastered 16/44 still sounds awfully good to me.
-
What are you EATING right now?
Hey! Didn't realize there was another head-case'er from Marin! I'm from Tiburon.
-
DIY PASS F5 BUILD THREAD
God damn that case work is hawt!
-
Happy birthday TMoney!
Thanks for the B-Day wishes, All. Got a bunch of tickets to go see some live music as gifts. Only thing better than a great DIY setup is the real deal, eh?
-
R.I.P. Etta James
- The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!
Reasonable minds differ on the 007 v 009 issue. Best to try both if you can. They do sound quite different.- Folks, I need a USB DAC replacement; rig details below
I use the M2Tech HiFace to output SPDIF from my macbook to my buffalo dac. If you want to keep the DAC you've already got I'm sure you could find one on the cheap. They pop up all the time on the other site.- i'm on a roll... the kgsshv
Another KGSSHV off-board up and running thanks to Greg (Horio). I'm really impressed by the sound so far. The 009s sound sooo crisp. The sound reminds me a bit of a baby version of Voltron's T2. Hopefully I'll get a chance to bring it up to Kerry's sometime in the future for a comparison with the KGBH. Edit: Thanks again to everyone who put the time in to making the KGSSHV happen.- SF Bay Area LCD-3 Tour
I don't think its that. I think its the separation between the 90 and 100 dB traces that tells the story here. Only the 009 has separation between the traces like the LCD-3. If I'm not mistaken, the separation indicates better power handling capabilities and thus better clarity? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. - The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!
Important Information
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.