Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

www.Head-Case.org

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Everything posted by Voltron

  1. @Shelley: Sporting the JH13s at my desk this morning, using the HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC (Home Modules) and HeadRoom Desktop Power Supply. I have tried them out with no music, with a few different types of music, and with Luis's "TOTAL SILENCE" track from something he did awhile back. With no music playing, at low gain it is pretty much dead silent all the way up the volume range, but after 12 o'clock there is a little "presence" of background that is very faint. At medium gain, it is pretty similar, but the low background starts at 11 and is not above background level most of the way although it is noticeable. At high gain, it starts about 11 o'clock again and is "louder" above 12 than either of the other settings. All in all, very impressive noise floor and there is no point at which I would call it "hissing" because it is a passive sound, if that makes any sense. With music on, there is no untoward sound to my ears at any gain setting. I listened to quiet pieces and noisy one, and did not get any kind of hiss or noise floor in quiet passages or in between tracks. Unless it is in the recording, that is, because recordings that have a lot of noise come through loud and clear just like anything with these cans. At low volumes there is no hiss or noise floor on any gain setting. I have them playing now and it sounds very sweet and noise-free at low volume (7/8 o'clock on medium). The TOTAL SILENCE track is just that and I cranked it up all the way with very similar results to the no music playing info above. All in all, a good match and something that would make a great transportable setup for hotels/road trips/etc.
  2. They don't and it sounds highly unlikely that they will ever offer them.
  3. Thanks Matt and others for your continuing comments.
  4. I guess we are supposed to be "the esoteric crowd that worries more about Supertweeters and speaker cables than they do about room acoustics" but I don't care about supertweeters and I do care about room acoustics. See, that's why stereotyping is wrong.
  5. Joe Strummer And The Mescaleros -- Streetcore
  6. Love Spit Love -- self titled [Richard Butler's post-Furs 90's band]
  7. Various Blue Coast Records Hi-Rez recordings.
  8. The Derek Trucks Band -- Joyful Noise
  9. David Russell -- Art of the Guitar
  10. Voltron replied to VPI's topic in Meet Impressions
    Finally a post about this event! Sounds fun and sorry I missed it. Oh, and those woody HF-1s look awesome.
  11. Oliver Nelson -- Blues and the Abstract Truth [AP Impulse! 45 RPM Remaster] WOW.
  12. Did you get a trunk-full of the decanters? Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I have been to the Budweiser plant near here, and to Glenmorangie in Tain, Scotland. I should make it to a few more tours myself.
  13. Voltron replied to Dusty Chalk's topic in Off Topic
    Linn Records newsletter offer: This November, you can buy two recordings on CD, SACD, Vinyl or Download and get a third free. Even full boxed sets! Taking us up on this offer is easy, just enter the Promotion Code: 3FOR2 in your shopping cart when you are ready to check out, and we do the maths to deduct the cheapest item. On top of that, there is free worldwide shipping on all purchases!
  14. I will bring them in Monday to give a fresh listen. I don't remember any from the only other time I used them at work but I don't recall it specifically. The HR Portable Desktop is pretty cool but I have not heard the JH13s with one.
  15. Hope you are enjoying some bubbly and I am currently raising a toast to your health and DACsterity . . . right now. Happy Birthday Dinny! Cheers.
  16. I would say the connection between a shovel and the back of your head.
  17. Voltron replied to n_maher's topic in Do It Yourself
    IF YOU BUY THESE YOU BUY COPY FROM BAD PEOPLE WHO STEAL! [/feifei]
  18. Nice Sprout vinyl, Stretch! Continuing with the Imogen catalog here, in reverse chron. Considering Frou Frou too, but not sure how far I will go. Imogen Heap -- Speak for Yourself Imogen Heap -- I Megaphone
  19. Voltron replied to Thaddy's topic in Music
    Thanks Peter. Any music lover would have enjoyed that show, and Ornette's free-ness seems way less free after seeing a bunch of John Zorn shows.
  20. Voltron replied to Thaddy's topic in Music
    Happily, SF Jazz was back on track for the final show of the Fall Festival on Sunday. JP#s, blessingx, my wife, and I were among the adoring fans who saw Ornette Coleman and his Quartet at Davies Symphony Hall. From the moment the MC emphasized this month was the 50th anniversary of the release of The Shape of Jazz to Come and Ornette was announced, it was clear that the crowd's adulation had an impact on him. He said something like "Thank you all for being here. Now we're going to get to know each other very well." They came out of the box strong with the first number, which was a free jazz screamer, and kept up the pace for 90 minutes straight, no intermission, including 3 encore tunes that they clearly weren't certain they would do. They seemed to consider even one more, but Ornette is a few months shy of 80 and we didn't begrudge them leaving the stage for the night. Ornette's quartet is unusual in that it consists of Ornette on alto sax, trumpet and violin, Tony Falanga on acoustic bass, Al McDowell on electric bass, and Ornette's son Denardo Coleman on drums. Falanga plays amazing traditional bass, with an unusual emphasis on bowing, while McDowell plays electric and possibly even synthesized bass. It was described well in a Stereophile review of their recent Jazz at Lincoln Center performance: "Al McDowell, who plays electric bass guitar, has finally found a role for himself: sometimes strumming like a guitar, sometimes doubling on the melody line, sometimes echoing it, or tracing a countermelody. In short, he
  21. In preparation for the concert tonight: Imogen Heap -- Ellipse
  22. Norah Jones -- The Fall
  23. Are we going to have to repeat all of these well-wishes tomorrow when it really is Chris's birthday?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.