HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

sexay bicycle. 

Internally geared hub and belt drive FTMFW. 

Not such a fan of their (lack of) fender options though. 

Whatever you get, get the most-coverage (covers more of the circumference of the wheel=more better) fenders you can. 

No wood. Metal or plastic. 

Yeah... would be even better with a computer controlled, auto shift mode.

Hmmm, I think I just talked myself into an idea. :D

It would be easier with the previous generation of di2, with the newer versions you'd need to figure out the protocol. Bit more of a challenge but a sequential shifter would be nifty :)

Hmmm, I think I just talked myself into an idea. :D

I like where this is going, but I think that there may be some problems:

An unexpected downshift can be really unsettling on the bike. 

Internally geared hubs also tend to "stick" if shifted while you are pedaling hard. Much like a car transmission you gotta synchronize power application and gear shifts. Slowing your pedaling for 1 revolution becomes second nature as you get used to the IGH. 

I have no idea how to account for this. 

That being said:

With all the bluetooth bike sensors out in the world I'm surprised that nobody has done this. 

You may need to integrate a POWER meter or heart rate monitor as well as the obvious cadence & speed sensors - huffing and puffing up a hill at 50rpm and "maximum power" because your bike doesn't think it needs to downshift is not even close to the same as basically idling down a level road at 50rpm because your out for a casual ride. Having the bike progressively downshift as you maintain your casual cadence could be a bit annoying. 

Somewhat unrelated:

A google glass app that suggested shifting based on power output, HR, and/or cadence could be really cool. 

Ended up buying the Spot Acme in Mercedes Grey with fenders, rack, Brooks vegetarian seat in grey, Dynamo front hub, Schmidt Edelux II dynamo front light, XTR disc brakes and some sweet panier bags from Basil.  Now I need to buy locks, what do you guys use?

• Like 2

Ended up buying the Spot Acme in Mercedes Grey with fenders, rack, Brooks vegetarian seat in grey, Dynamo front hub, Schmidt Edelux II dynamo front light, XTR disc brakes and some sweet panier bags from Basil.  Now I need to buy locks, what do you guys use?

I would just tape a picture of some of your guns and knives to the paniers.

For on-the-bike locks, I have these two systems, both are heavy, but the chain is really, really heavy, definitely not something you want to carry around with you. More like you have it on your garage or locker for onsite use. The U-lock, is on the heavy side, but mounts on the bike fine. or you can carry it on the pannier. Just be aware that thieves are actually cutting bikes now, to sell the components, so if it is locked outside, no matter how good a lock, they can still cut the bike....bastards

Abus U-lock (this one I got in '11, so it is pretty recent

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001U885MQ/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OnGuard chain(this one I got in '06, so I don't know if there is any chain-based ones that are a better approach now)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FL3EAM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jeff, is this going to be locked outside or do you have a locker?

For a bike locker I used this one:

Abus Locker Padlock(This one I got in '11) One reviewer on amazon complains about the key being wimpy, I haven't had an issue, but I can see that if you go twisting hard over time it can crap out....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009S5Y7FM/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also will not jam up if your pant leg gets caught in the apparatus and won't put grease all over your pants as you pedal.  Great for commuting.  Seems to be a much smoother overall operation and the silent ride is pretty nice.