HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Finally starting to recover from my 2 1/2 hour ride in Southern California's version of pace riding in a hair dryer.  Slow dusty headwind, 13 percent humidity and temperatures that eventually reached 104.

A bit different from what you guys are experiencing. 

Edited by Augsburger

Made it about 5 miles into the ride before I decided I could not put up with the triathletes and shufflers and turned back.  I could not count the number of time I was coming up on a group of the 3/4 mph "runners" shuffling about in front of me and I had the triathlete geeks in their aero positions cruising through at 12 MPH in the opposite direction.  Of course they won't slow down as they are training for the Aerotwat 100 or some such so I have to practically stop from 20+ mph to let them through so I can pass the runners that have now slowed down to .2 mph so they can drink from one of the 40 tiny bottles strapped to their waists.  

Shitty ride of about 11 miles but the Craft base layers worked great.  First time I have been on the Cervelo since the Spring.  Not as comfortable as the Calfee but so much faster.

Sorry that the ride was frustrating but glad you made it out.

I know we have talked about this before but your comment about different bikes still surprises me. I never really notice much of an actual speed difference between my various bikes. They all feel different and handle differently but actual achieved speed in almost all conditions is as best I can tell the same. They all have the same geometry and gearing though.

I am looking forward to riding together in a few weeks. Anyone want to ride in NoVA next weekend?

Oh yeah, I do not think there is much difference in top end speed between the bikes, I think it is the response I guess when you punch it seems so much more efficient and faster on the 13lb R5 compared to the 17lb Calfee.

I can only concur with the fact that it got cold in a hurry.  I decided to get back into the whole cycling to work thing this week and it was a balmy 32 when I left the house this morning at 6am.  Stupdily did not wear my booties and my feet were frozen after the ~20 mile trip in.  This afternoon should be seriously nice with temps now in the mid 60s but I could do without the 12mph wind in my face that is predicted for the ride home.  Oh well, you don't get a choice, right?

And Jeff, I can't really imagine a bike lighter than my Calfee.  It already feels so much lighter than the Roubaix and I really need to remember to have the shop throw it on the scale the next time I bring it in. 

Oh man Dan, that is a rabbit hole, that you are going down into.... :)

Just make sure to get some take-along can of foam for the ride, unless you plan to carry a glued replacement tubular along for the ride. And the also important to carry the valve remover thingy so that you can "inject' the foam smoothly, otherwise big mess.

I have had a love-hate relationship with tubulars. The ride quality is superb but dealing with flats is not fun. Learning to properly clean and prep the rims for gluing is very important. You have probably done it already, but if not, read up online about the process. In the weight weenies forum there is a HUGE thread about it.

It is an art, ha ha.

I got rid of my Mavic deep dish carbon wheels and got a pair of used fulcrum tubulars. I haven't glued them in either, I am stretching the tires a the moment. AH, yes DON"T forget to stretch the tires by inflating them on a regular rim pumped at around 130psi for a couple of days.

Edited by CD44hi