CanLanta 2013 - May 4th - Atlanta, GA

MexicanDragon

The reason I am arriving on Thursday is so I can buy some good Bourbon and beer for the weekend. Dinny, we need to parlay over some good Bourbon.

The hotel is just a few minutes from both Green's and Tower (albeit in opposite directions), so that's easy to accomplish.

Just occurred to me that the Buckhead store for Tower isn't too far from Green's. Didn't think about it since I usually go to the Doraville one.

EDIT: Could also swing by Toco Giant in Toco Hills, but I haven't been there in forever.

EDIT 2: Depending on timing, I can definitely play taxi for this if someone else isn't available sooner. Probably get the trip done faster than anyone else too. ;)

Edited by Fitz

Just occurred to me that the Buckhead store for Tower isn't too far from Green's. Didn't think about it since I usually go to the Doraville one.

EDIT: Could also swing by Toco Giant in Toco Hills, but I haven't been there in forever.

EDIT 2: Depending on timing, I can definitely play taxi for this if someone else isn't available sooner. Probably get the trip done faster than anyone else too. ;)

I can help with that as well though my time maybe slightly more limited given that I'm a new daddy. Let me know what I can do to make this happen.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info my man. I will likely rent a car as I am fairly familiar with Atlanta from my time living in Athens, GA and Aiken, SC.

Insomuch as one can be familiar with this damn sprawl. I've lived here my whole life and still don't know my way around half of it.

EDIT: Random factoid, the street my neighborhood is off of made Creative Loafing's top 10 ugliest sights in Atlanta from an issue a few years ago, with the caption Thou Shalt Not Sprawl and a mention of it making baby Jesus cry. Yeah.

Edited by Fitz

I've been told that I need to go to Antico Pizza the next time I am in Atlanta so I expect a trip there. 

OK - I took my youngest daughter there for lunch yesterday.  Pizza is great and I've never had a pizza cooked and served to the table as fast as that.  I mean, we setup napkins (brown paper towel rolls), grabbed some plastic silverware and it was there!

For those of you that are familiar, it's on the outskirts of the Georgia Tech campus around 14th St. and Hemphill. The place is unusual as restaurants go.  Basically, little more than a hole-in-the-wall and picnic table seating.  Although, the "picnic tables" are very large and substantial, so it's not as if you're sitting nose-to-nose with the people across from you.  Plus, the seats are small benches that are mobile.  They have a large room with the ovens - three of them standing abreast with wood piled up underneath (wood-fired).  Then there's a smaller room with another large table and counter seating at the windows.  Pizza is definitely fired at a high-temperature.  Crust is the almost paper thin type (a little exaggeration) with lots of large bubbles, thicker on the edges and burned - very edible.  Cheese is dolloped in 4 or 5 drops, forming mushroom like blobs in 4 or 5 places on the pizza. 

It was $30 for the two of us with cokes (it was lunch time) but we had half of it left.  They pile self-serve boxes to the right of the ovens for people to grab to take home the leftovers.

There are several top notch beer bars in the little 5 points area

Hmm ... this sounds interesting, but honestly, I'm only familiar with the Vortex.  They offer "Laughing Skull" beer, which is distributed nationally, I think.  I believe it's a decent lager, but that's about it.  They're famous for their burgers, the bikers that regularly frequent, and the giant skull with the spiral eyes that forms the entrance.  That would be my top recommendation at Little 5 Points.  Of course, they have just about everything else around there - Variety Playhouse for 2nd-tier alternative concerts - Neko Case has played there, the Junkyard's Daughter as a retail smoke store and curio shop, and then they even have a store that sells whips and chains, BDSM outfits, etc., if you know what I mean. 8)

It seems like a lot of Atlanta is into the gourmet burger scene - "Flip" is probably the most famous, founded by the winner of one of those Chef TV show contests.  They make fois-gras burgers with liquid-nitrogen milkshakes.  Then there's Yeah Burger in Virginia Highlands, Farm Burger in Decatur, Grindhouse Burgers on Piedmont (lots of old B movies and robots), Smash Burger in several places, I think, lots of others, too - one in Ansley Mall that I forget the name, lots of Five Guys, etc.  'Course, "What'll Ya Have?" the Varsity is the original drive-in (world's largest) burger and hot dog spot just across the downtown interstate from GA Tech.  Cheap, greasy, huge, and with multiple TV rooms and paper hats to wear. :laugh:

Sushi is great, too, the Bluefin in Buckhead, Sushi Avenue - a bunch of others.  Chow Baby lets you create your own stir-fry with a cafeteria-style ingredients bar, where you mix up your own for the cooking.

Beers - the most famous outside of Laughing Skull is Sweetwater Brewery.  Their 420 Pale Ale is available on tap in many of the Atlanta mainstream restaurants.  The other stuff they make is fairly decent, too.

Edited by TomB